Remove Advertisements

[10] Thaddius Tanking Question

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10] Thaddius Tanking Question

Postby Doogiehowser » Wed May 06, 2009 9:49 am

I'm planning on being in a raid on Thursday night and there's a good chance I'm going to be tanking.

I've seen all the other fights, read up on them, and watched videos at tankspot but I have a couple questions about Thaddius.

It appears that you tank him where he stands and try to hold him there. You have to move when the polarity shift happens but how far are you supposed to go?

Should I tank him at his maximum hit box to try and benefit the ranged dps? Should I not worry about this and leave it to the melee dps to get at maximum range?

How will you know if you're far enough on the other side when the shift happens to not shock your fellow players?

Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks for your help.
Doogiehowser

Re: [10] Thaddius Tanking Question

Postby Nikachelle » Wed May 06, 2009 9:56 am

Tank him at maximum range so that the casters and melee can all huddle up for added benefit. If you're too close and you're standing INSIDE the boss, the hunters might complain about having to stand too close to Thaddius.

I'm not sure how your group plans to do it, but we rotate sides by moving counterclockwise around the boss. For this reason, I move Thaddius a bit closer to the gooey water area so that when people change sides they don't get smashed into a wall when going from right to left. When you change sides, simply strafe 180 degrees to the other side of him. Stay at maximum range as much as possible.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Doogiehowser » Wed May 06, 2009 10:10 am

Okay, thanks for the swift reply.

We plan on employing the "Nascar" strategy where everyone goes around him and turns left with Thaddius always being on your left hand side. Thanks for the tip on pulling him out a bit so we give people some room.

I'll try to figure out his hitbox quickly. :)
Doogiehowser

Postby Velorian » Tue May 26, 2009 7:16 am

One benefit of staying at maximum melee range is that if someone is a hair slow changing sides, they have less chance of damaging you if they get caught in the middle.
Velorian

Postby Noodleguitar » Wed May 27, 2009 5:50 am

In 10 man I always start out taking him to the middle, between the wall and the goo stuff.
When the first charges appear everyone runs to their sides and I tank the boss at max range. Then every polarity shift I move straight through the boss, on 10 man that doesn't hurt alot. We then make all other players run counter-clockwise.
Noodleguitar

Postby Mert » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:06 am

Doogiehowser wrote:You have to move when the polarity shift happens but how far are you supposed to go?

You probably already know this, but just in case I'll throw a "not necessarily" in there. Polarity Shift simply has a chance to change your buff from Positive to Negative (or vice versa). Assuming you're using DBM, the first time he casts it will simply dictate what side you need to start on - each guild is different but they should make it clear which side of him is Positive and which is Negative. Check your buffs on the first cast and either stay or move depending on what your guild defined.

From then on ignore Polarity Shift and instead just wait until DBM gives you a blue raid warning telling you to move sides. If you don't want to rely on DBM (it does occasionally just... not work) then keep an eye on your debuffs and swap only when the icon does - it isn't necessarily every time he casts it.

I know you probably already know this, but I've seen many a raid end up wiping because of confusion over the fact you don't necessarily have to move so I thought it worth pointing out just in case.

As people have said - max melee range is ideal - try not to go so far you move him if you can.

More importantly than all that though is to set the following macro and use it during every tank throw :lol:

/e high fives [other tank]
/y Hey [other tank]! High five!
Mert

Postby Pizbit » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:28 am

Just pretend you're a melee DPSer, stand out a few yards from where he stands and on polarity shit if you change, switch. In every run I've been in Thaddius never moves, just turns.

Always done it, looking at him from the door, negative left, positive right. Run THROUGH him not around when your polarity changes, it's faster. But I can see everyone 'go around his left' working just as well when everyone knows left from right :D
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon