Sarth 10+3D 2 tanks: how do you tank drakes+adds?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Sarth 10+3D 2 tanks: how do you tank drakes+adds?

Postby Funtodin » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:29 am

Alright, so we tried it with a caster heavy group, a DK MT + 3 healers (2 resto shaman, 1 holy pally) and I was offtanking the whole world there. I honestly felt overwhelmed and cried a little bit inside. I'd really appreciate some advice from people that pulled this off.
I had basically 2 issues:
1 - keeping up with the spawning lava adds so they don't enrage.
2 - holding the whelps whenever the wave came from the south side.

The drakes themselves weren't willing to cooperate, running behind me from time to time and making it real hard to pull the adds. We are basically trying to burn down the first 2 drakes asap (one resto shaman does dps only early), avoiding a 2nd pack of whelps and making sure Shadron is as close to dead as possible by the time Vesperon lands.
We did have the holy pally use righteous fury but on our best attempt one flame enraged and killed him before I could taunt. He heals the MT and runs east close to sarth while I have to run west during the south waves.

I'm considering going for pursuit of justice and glyph of consecration for that fight to make it easier dragging the drakes and picking up the whelps when I'm a little bit off target and have to move because of waves or the stupid drakes' behaviour.

Is there anything that I could use to keep the raid alive until Shadron drops dead? And what should I expect after that?
Funtodin

Postby Valoel » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:43 pm

i have the same problem, if the wave is coming so that the gap is coming across the whelp portal then its easy as consecration can be placed there non stop. if the wave is coming from the other side i have to throw a consecration run to the gap and then run back by the time consecration runs out and the adds spawn... the glyph might help altho i am thinking of doing a quick bubble run thru the wave then debubble and run back to the portal, i will lose aggro on the fire adds for a second but it shouldnt be a problem.
Valoel

Postby Oryann » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:51 pm

I run 2 heals, 3 tanks, and 5 DPS.

DK on Sarth
DK on Adds
Me- Prot Pally on Drakes

Holy pally- MT heals with Beacon on me
Shaman - Raid Healing
Shadowpriest- Heals inside the portal

Ele Shaman
Mage
Lock
Boomkin

The only time I have to worry about adds and Drakes is when everyone goes on the portal, the DK that usually takes adds does the tanking in the portal so I just cover for him and take the Drakes

= Yourname of the Nightfall
Oryann

Postby knaughty » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:00 am

how do you tank drakes+adds?

You don't.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Nick7 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:02 am

Oryann, we had similar setup, except we rolled with 3 healers and 4 DPS.

But, during portals all tanks were out, so there was no confusion outside, while inside boomkin 'tanked'.

Also, 3 healers means easier healing of whole raid with twilight torment debuff up.
MT was DK, se he has come CD's, and we used Hand of Sacrifice if needed (was actually only needed once).
Nick7

Postby Seloei » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:43 am

It is possible to 2 tank this fight but it is VERY much harder, basicly all you do is stand there with the healers are behiind you so they don't get twated by the frie adds, they call out if they have agro and you taunt off one of them.
We tried it, i kept on failing on picking up the whelps when they spawn if it was one of those bad waves.
Otherwise, i just stood in the middle with aoe on the ground where the whelps should spawn and the drake on me.

The biggest risk is of a drake flame breath on the raid. After the whelps are down it's going to be a lot easier. Oh, if you have a dk or ret pala, then they can taunt any loose elementals and since their melee your consecration will pick them up.

After about 2-3 wipenights on this, we gave up since it was a nightmare to keep everything under control. Rolled with 2.5 healers and 3 tanks instead (elem shaman heals during torment) and that got us through with it.

Theres quite a few vids about how it's done with 2 tanks, but mind it's a hell of a lot more difficult
Seloei

Postby Blar » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:21 am

I am assuming it was 2 tanked before they got rid of JoL threat.
Blar

Postby Barsine » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:15 am

Well the idea with 2 tanks+2 healers is that you should never have 2 drakes up at the same time. You nuke the first drake, second spawns around 5 seconds after that, you nuke that one too (while the whelps spawn).
Then you go down the portal and kill one of the whatever they are called. Go up, kill last drake, portal again and then finish sart off.

I was close to ripping my hair off when we tried to do this. Mostly cause we somehow had lower dps with 6 melee dpsers than with 5 casters dpsers (3 tanks 2 healers setup).
Barsine

Postby Vladogor » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:02 pm

Did it yesterday with 2 tanks.

MT - Druid in Fire and Frost resist gear
Protection paladin (me) "offtanking the whole world there". I raid as retri so my gear is far from best-in-game. I have 7 200lvl items in my MT set, 30300 hp.

3 healers:
Holy paladin on MT (beacon of light on me), Shadow resist aura is on
1st Resto shaman on me, Fire resist totem on MT
2nd Resto shaman on the raid and in portal

Fury warrior - tanked the adds in portal
Rogue - dispelled enrage from elementals
Moonkin
Mage
Warlock

I tank everything right on top of the place where whelps spawn.
I always turn drakes to one side while dps and healers take the other side of the platform.

I judge light.

I take Tenebron with wings up to build initial agro. Rogue misdirects to me.

When I get whelps I hit undestructable potion+Sacred shield macro. Untill Tenebron is dead, 2 resto shamans overheal me. It is important to NOT blow Divine Shield here and save it for later.

Tenebron dies. Moonkin,Mage,Lock finish off the whelps. We start burning
Shadron.

Right before Vesperon lands, 2nd resto shaman and all dps go to the portal.

I pick up Vesperon. At this moment it is very difficult to get all the elementals, so I BoP 1st resto shaman if necessary. Holy Pally burns his bubble here if necessary. This way, healers survive.

I hit Divine protection under Shadron+Vesperon+2 acolytes. I also switch to seal of light at this moment.

When dps is back from the 1st portal, we bloodlust. We kill Shardon before going to the next portal. The last 10-15% of Shadron's health are taken off under 2 acolytes.

From there it is just tank and spank.

And yeah, you have to be quick with targeting elementals. Buy a good mouse and a pad for it. Be ready that your Avenger's shield and 2 taunts will permanently be on cooldown.

The hardest tanking challenge I encountered so far. Good luck and have fun :D
Vladogor

Postby kram » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:50 pm

1 - keeping up with the spawning lava adds so they don't enrage.
2 - holding the whelps whenever the wave came from the south side.

1: Taunts & AS. Make a healer bring them to you if you really have to. They can stand behind you so long as they dont get hit by breaths.
2: Dont move until you get your consecration down. You can survive a few enraged adds or getting hit by the wave once, make sure your healers know if youre going to be taking extra damage.

Get used to tanking them with nameplates on if you dont already. Have your camera max zoomed and just keep a eye out for the adds that spawn and are instantly enraged. Let your dps/healers know that if they do have a add on them its their job to make sure they it doesnt enrage.
kram

Postby Equitas » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:24 pm

Just finished it today, first try with the new guild ZING of the nightfall :D additionally we did Undying today with 8 people :D so both achievements done.

It IS doable to tank adds and the drakes, you need to hold taunt on cooldown aswell as shieldthrow, the problem is that once you have Shadron + Welps + Adds + Vesperon.

It is literally IMPOSSIBLE to tank the additional stuff unless you nuke away all of the adds. They will simply instagib you.

Thats why we run 3 tanks 3 heal 4 Damagedealers. Its really your best shot at doing this, yes you have a prolonged phase with twilight torment up where you have to nuke down shadron while not killing yourself.

After that its easy going.

The best Tanklineup is:

Protpala/Warrior = Tenebron Vesperon Shadron
Feraldruid = Sartharion
Deathknight = Unholy DPS, picking up whelps and lava blazes.

3 Healers:
Holypala
Holypriest
Random (schaman prefered)

4 Damage dealers either all caster or all melee, casters are better though.

2 tanking it is doable, ive seen it done by other groups, but the risk factors are to high.
I am filled with Rage.... and cupcakes!!!
Of the Nightfall - Check
Twilight Vanquisher - Check
the Undying - Check
the Immortal - Missing
Equitas

Postby Avengeance » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:32 pm

I personally find 3 tanks 2 healers easier (with a ele sham as hybrid healing when needed), just because the encounter is actually far easier when you kill things on time (i.e. killing Shadron within 10-15 secs of Vesperon landing will save your MT, which is what we achieved). On first kill I ran 3 full tanks, but I think I can cut the 3rd full tank into a plate DPS tank.
Avengeance of Boulderfist-EU
Guild Master of High Tempest
Avengeance

Just did it with 2tanks 2 healers and 6dps

Postby Vladogor » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:17 pm

Just did it with 2tanks 2 healers and 6dps

Group setup:
Feral druid in fire/frost resist on the boss
Protection paladin (me) tanked drakes/elementals/whelps

2 Disc priests - healed me and druid

Fury warrior - tanked acolytes
Rogue - dispelled enrage
Enhance shaman
Warlock
Elem shaman - healed inside the portal
Mage

Shadron died right when Vesperon landed.

No cooldowns on MT needed. Much easier and smoother kill.... if you can pull it off.
Vladogor

Postby rickforking » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:20 pm

2 tanks is what we do. I tank drakes/adds, DK tanks sarth/adds. We chase nothing, we follow nothing. His healers stand as close to him as possible to not be in breath, mine do the same, our AOEs pick up everything. The hardest parts are if you get shadron with tenebron still up for a few seconds, that causes shadow breaths to really hurt, but I just wait for my self LoH to be needed and blow it. Twilight Torment is harder on the other tank but since threat is literally a non-issue on sarth, he can keep up with his own elementals with little issue. The other great part of this strat is that if you run with a melee heavy group, which we tend to do, their AOE kills everything
rickforking

Postby Frickit » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:44 am

rickforking wrote:2 tanks is what we do. I tank drakes/adds, DK tanks sarth/adds. We chase nothing, we follow nothing. His healers stand as close to him as possible to not be in breath, mine do the same, our AOEs pick up everything. The hardest parts are if you get shadron with tenebron still up for a few seconds, that causes shadow breaths to really hurt, but I just wait for my self LoH to be needed and blow it. Twilight Torment is harder on the other tank but since threat is literally a non-issue on sarth, he can keep up with his own elementals with little issue. The other great part of this strat is that if you run with a melee heavy group, which we tend to do, their AOE kills everything

where do you tank sarth?
Frickit

Next

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon