Remove Advertisements

[25] Malygos repositioning after vortex question

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[25] Malygos repositioning after vortex question

Postby Vioarr » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:29 am

Hey guys-

Having some issues in the transition from Vortex back to the outer ring in phase one. Well, let me rephrase that; I'm not having issues in moving him out to where he should be, but some people in my guild are getting roflstomped by Malygos' breath attack and it seems entirely too random.

We've had people ping the map for the appropriate location to move to, we've told people where they need to go, we've even asked that they be self-aware but we're just having too many problems in the beginning and it seems too random. We are transitioning for the most part they proper way, but people are still dying. I read that there is some kind of bug that makes pets explode after 5 seconds when they get the arcane breath debuff.

I'm just curious, how have succesful groups handled these issues?

Thanks!
Vioarr
Maintankadonor

Postby Sanctify » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:31 am

You run north, everyone else runs south.
Image Image
Sanctify

Postby amh » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:35 am

Sanctify wrote:You run north, everyone else runs south.

Can´t fail. Even after the second whirl, and you have a spark down in an awkward position, run north. THEN you can start to turn him around.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Serelynn » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:36 am

During Vortex, everyone looks at where the next spark is coming from and turn their camera towards it. That way when they land they will run towards it. I point Malygos away from that spark when he lands. If people can't manage that after being repeatedly told what to do, there isn't much else you can do other than replace them for that fight.

We had about one week where the same 4-5 people kept failing, we replaced them that night with some people on standby. The next week, the people who failed did fine when they realized they couldn't be lazy and basically /afk through Malygos.

Hunters should put their pets on passive and have them stop attacking during Vortex to be safe. As long as you don't run into the group after Malygos' breath attack and blow everyone up, no one should be hit by the explosion if the pets were pulled back after the Vortex. We've never had an issue with it yet. :D
Serelynn

Postby Seloei » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:04 am

Get someone who has a pair of eyes and a microphone and is not afraid to use it and tell him to spam click where the spark is coming during vortex. He will yell out "North-west, north-east, south-west, south-east etc" and you run the opposite.
You can see which way your char will start to run when you drop down based on the small "arrow" on the minimap, unless you are using some major addon to change that look.

Pets can proc the arcane breath aoe, so best if they are put on /follow during/after vortex so they wont insta-shot the melee.

If someone can't see on the map where someone is clicking and can't hear what is being told in vent... then... they deserve to die and get yelled at.

all i do when i'm tanking him is move him a bit away from the middle and then turn him sideways so the sparks should end up where the last one ended.
Seloei

Postby Lore » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:13 am

We use a "Look at where he's standing and move" method. Look at Malygos as you're landing. If you're the tank, run to his head. If you're not, run to his tail. Tank's goal is to make sure Malygos doesn't turn at all.

Makes it very easy to tell immediately which direction to go.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Vanifae » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:25 am

My guild uses a cardinal direction.

The Raid leader says on Vent, Tank head North (Cardinal Direction), Raid head South (Cardinal Direction). Then I turn my direction on the minimap North and trust that people understand south since his area is built like a compass. It seems to work pretty well.

I would suggest keeping it simply North or South; sometimes east and west. I wouldn't do Southeast or something like that.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:27 am

I always pull him south, the raid always runs north; we try to stack sparks towards the center (double DK shenanigans).

To make it easier, I have a blue square on my head, and everyone knows to run the fuck away from the blue square.

I also drop a smoke flare on where I tank, so people know to run the fuck away from the smoke flare.

There's only so much thinking you can do for your raid, and only so much removing complicating elements. Some raids don't require as much coddling, but some do ...

Vanifae wrote:I would suggest keeping it simply North or South; sometimes east and west. I wouldn't do Southeast or something like that.

Part of the reason for keeping it to cardinals (aside from it just being easier) is that sparks spawn from the intermediate directions, so keeping the dragon somewhat off the spawn points makes it a little easier to wrangle them.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Vioarr » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:42 am

Thanks for the replies everyone; it looks like I'm executing my portion of the fight properly. I just wanted to make sure there was nothing else I could do to help.

In regards to the glitch with the pets in Malygos; the only time they get the debuff is when they are hit by breath, correct? If that is the case does it make more sense to have them dismiss > summon or just put them on follow entirely?
Vioarr
Maintankadonor

Postby Nalyn » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:43 am

Serelynn wrote:During Vortex, everyone looks at where the next spark is coming from and turn their camera towards it. That way when they land they will run towards it. I point Malygos away from that spark when he lands. If people can't manage that after being repeatedly told what to do, there isn't much else you can do other than replace them for that fight.

This is what we do, raid runs to the last spark spawn, and someone pings it on the mini map. As a side note, if your raid CAN'T use the minimap to position themselves, get a new raid, because you pretty much HAVE to do it for phase 3.

As a side note, that's where our raid was failing, last time around, phase 3, and it wasn't that people couldn't keep stacks up, it was that they were having a really hard time moving when a static field spawns...get to P3 with 23 people up, first static field takes out 10 of them, /facepalm. It's REALLY hard to die on phase 3 unless you're AFK, or not following the strat. This was the attempt AFTER we hit the enrage, and lost by 2053 HP, once the last drake went down.
Nalyn

Postby Vanifae » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:46 am

Pro-tip: don't run too far so your healers can't get to you when you come back from Vortex.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Belloc » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:12 am

Vioarr wrote:Thanks for the replies everyone; it looks like I'm executing my portion of the fight properly. I just wanted to make sure there was nothing else I could do to help.

In regards to the glitch with the pets in Malygos; the only time they get the debuff is when they are hit by breath, correct? If that is the case does it make more sense to have them dismiss > summon or just put them on follow entirely?

Unless your hunters/locks know exactly what they're doing, their pets will get hit by breath after every vortex, usually killing all of your melee.

The best way for them to handle this is to dismiss their pets until phase 2.
Belloc

Postby kensanity » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:38 pm

This is interesting. On 10 man, the raid usually just runs towards the next spark while the tank runs away, but on 25 man, with the immediate arcane breath that happens, its kind of hard to afford messups.

What my guild does is they always stack in the same place and the tank always tanks in teh same place - regardless of the next incoming spark.

I.E

the tank tanks in the North east position of the small box in the middle of malygos room.

The raid stacks at one point (put a warlock portal or something there so everyone knows where to run) south west of the "ring" that forms around the outside of the room. this is close to max hitbox range for melee, and ranged will still be able to hit from this distance.

Now what happens is (and we have 3 Deathknights to ensure this) is that sparks come from behind the raid, to the left, to the right, or behind the tank.

For sparks behind, no tricks are necessary, just kill the spark as it passes over the raid. For sparks to the left of right, a designated Death knight, uses death's grip as the spark gets in range of the raid group.

For sparks that come behind the tank, the third Death knight acts as a middle man for the other two, by standing in the spot to the left or right of malygos, death's gripping said spark, and then the other 2 death knights deaths grip the spark from that point.

This may seem a little complicated but it is avery simple practice and only requires 3 smart DK's as the raid has to do no movement

Doing this changed the learning curve of my guild 10 fold
kensanity

Postby Belloc » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:55 pm

The way I do it on 25-man (when I'm not too busy forgetting Righteous Fury) is that I go north and the raid goes south. If a spark is coming from northeast, I go northwest.
Belloc

Postby Markoh » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:17 am

He doesn't do the immediate arcane breath anymore so its not as big of a deal (it was changed last patch so that pets are given time to move to his back instead of getting breathed and blowing up the melee).

What we do is for the first spark tank goes opposite side and raid goes toward it, after that we always go that direction. After the initial landing the tank ends up moving him (some times a very large distance) so that the sparks head toward our pile without have to be overly babysat.
Markoh

Next

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon