Sarth +2 in 10-man. Tips?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Sarth +2 in 10-man. Tips?

Postby ARogers » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:52 am

We are trying to do this, but failing a bit much. We did it with 4.5 DPS. I was on my hance shammy and SERIOUSLY gimped due to the distance. They tanked Sarth at the front, and Tenebron way the heck int he back. If it was a front wave gap, I had to run IMMEDIATELY on Sarth's cast just to get out of it. I also hit 2100 DPS where I usually push 2500 or so in Sarth.

Do I just suck or is this fight a big problem for melee? I guess a lot of it has to do with luck.

What is a good group makeup? I can't seem to find a guide for 10-man with 2 drakes.
ARogers

Postby Ashmadai » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:53 pm

We got 10 man Sarth with 2 drakes down this past friday night for the first time. We had:

Sarth tank: Prot Pally
Drake/Add tank: Prot Pally(Me!)

Heals:
Holy Pally
Disc Priest
Resto Druid

DPS:

Blood DK
Ret Pally
FFB Mage
SV Hunter
Enh Shaman

It was very easy, though I still don't think we could do 3 drake even if we had the CDs for the breaths, just because we still haven't been able to get Tenebron down until after the 2nd whelps, and until just after Vesperon lands.

Anyway, we found that it was really all about add management with 2 up. As long as I was able to keep all elementals and whelps on me(which the pickups for the whelps are not particularly easy with everything else going on, let me tell you) then it was just easy mode.

I think with the proper position this fight is not detrimental to melee at all.
Ashmadai

Postby Isetnefret » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:59 pm

Just some questions:

How much dps is each DPS putting out, on average?

How well geared are your healers?

Do DPS pay attention to the elementals/whelps at all, or just focus solely on the boss?

Did you ever have elementals get enraged?
Isetnefret . . - . . Gavoryn

Those of you on the port side of the plane can look out and see the Grand Canyon. Those of you on the starboard can look out and see a cloud shaped like a horsey.
Isetnefret

Re: Sarth +2 in 10-man. Tips?

Postby Nalyn » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:38 am

ARogers wrote:We are trying to do this, but failing a bit much. We did it with 4.5 DPS. I was on my hance shammy and SERIOUSLY gimped due to the distance. They tanked Sarth at the front, and Tenebron way the heck int he back. If it was a front wave gap, I had to run IMMEDIATELY on Sarth's cast just to get out of it. I also hit 2100 DPS where I usually push 2500 or so in Sarth.

Do I just suck or is this fight a big problem for melee? I guess a lot of it has to do with luck.

What is a good group makeup? I can't seem to find a guide for 10-man with 2 drakes.

This may just be a positioning thing in your raid, or that your raid may need to correct. You drag sarthation around the edge, and up to the front, facing south, so that the tank is on that little triangle of rock, that way he doesn't hardly have to move for the lava waves. This gets you the largest area for the raid to spread out, and maneuver, in, and reduces the potential cleave/tail whip areas significantly. Beyond that...the drakes should be tanked on the northern edge of Sarth's area, in the lava wall gap areas that are right next to each other, so your melee only has to run out if they get a bad shadow circle, then it's just DPS.
Nalyn

Postby kensanity » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:55 am

The best way to progress into 3 drake sarth is to just do it. Either that or to keep up shadron and tenebron because its the transition between these two drakes that make the 3 drake fight extrmely difficult
If you are just trying to farm some of the 2 drake loot items, the best drakes to keep up are tenebron and vesperon as it gives u the most time between drakes.
Group makeup has everything to do with dps imo as well as placement of drakes and whatnot. There is another post in this forum that links vaious popular groupmakeups but in general u want all your dps to be able to compliment each other or provide some important utility for the encounter. Its possible for melee to still hit the drakes anot not hit by lava wall so get creative with how u position it.
Imo this encounter is all about mob control and simply dodging what needs to be avoided.
Good luck. Like was said earlier, if he's spawning two sets of whelps then that is usually a sign that your dps isn't geared enough or that you are approaching the fight in a way that is hindering your dps
kensanity

Postby Candiru » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:43 am

Your DPS needs to be high enough to kill the First drake before the second wave of whelps, really.

Also it helps to have 3 tanks, as the tank on the whelps gets -armour debuff which hurts when you have 2 mini-bosses on you.
Candiru

Postby Samilyn » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:24 pm

You mentioned 4.5 DPS. I'm assuming you also brought 3 healers, and 2.5 tanks. For two drake progression I'd drop either a healer, or a tank for a DPS. Get Tenebron down before the 2nd hatch and things are easy going.

Here's a strat I've used that worked for our raid group, your mileage may vary.

An alternative strategy to picking up drakes and whelps/blazes by yourself is to have your Sarth tank pick up the Drakes. This might be difficult to heal depending on gear level (we started doing it with a mix of [10] and [25] naxx gear).

Advantages:

Damage is focused on the Drake/Sarth tank, much easier for healers.

Raid stays grouped up, much easier for healers.

Whelps and Blazes are easily picked up, easier for healers and add tank.

Easier to move blazes out of flame walls.

Disadvantages:

Potential for large spikes on your tank (double breaths). Can be stressful for healers(but not insta-gib). That stress is mitigated by keeping Sarth on /focus and targeting the Drake, so that your tank can see the spike coming and use a cool-down.

Melee range on drakes suck, if positioning isn't great they'll lose DPS in order to avoid breaths from Sarth. Melee can /focus Sarth and move on breaths if positioning is poor.

When going for just 2 drakes, we use this strat with
2 Tanks
2 Healers
6 DPS (mostly ranged)

You can bring an extra healer if you need to, or melee, just blow Heroism/Bloodlust on Tenebron.
Samilyn

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon