Remove Advertisements

[10] Naxx Single Prot Tank Bosses

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10] Naxx Single Prot Tank Bosses

Postby dunnark » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:54 pm

Last night we went into Naxx 10 with the tankadin (me) as the only prot spec character and managed to down the first 5 bosses (would have been 6 if it weren't for time). Please add to this thread with other solo prot naxx successes to update my list or revise/add to these strats. Your success will greatly vary on your groups gear & ability. Updated 1/9/08.

10 Man Naxx Single Prot Spec Tank List

Easier Kills
    Anub'Rekhan - {SW} - We had a retadin do the big and small adds. I Judged Light on the boss and managed to pick up some of the small adds and the big add for a while. I suspect that this may even be able to be done completely solo. Update: Done this with me on both the large and small adds, casters can take the smalls. Not bad.

Grand Widow Faerlina - {SW} - I tanked the boss and an add. We sheeped 2 adds, and retadin held 2 adds. Again I suspect a tankadin could hold more than just Faerlina one add. Update: I tanked the whole room, no problem.

Maexxna - {SW} - Really one one tank needed, adds can be aoe'ed down fast enough.

Noth the Plaguebringer - {PQ} - I tanked him a few yards from the corner below his balcony. Ranged DPS in the corner, healers at the edge of my consecrate. Exorcism or Avenger's shield adds that didn't get picked up by concecrate. Holy Wrath when you have a nice group of adds.

Instructor Razuvious - {MW} - Anybody could control a tank

Loatheb -{PQ} - Only one tank needed

Heigan the Unclean - {PQ} - Only need one tank.

Grobbulus - {AW} - An off-spec can tank the adds if they don't manage to stick to the MT.

Sapphiron - Only one tank needed.

More challenging or Requires a Make-Shift Off Tank

Gluth - {AW} - A dps in plate can taunt, take one stack of the debuff, and then relinquish back to the MT. Its a tad more challenging as you also have to think about who is going to kite. I had a DK as my off tank and 2 mages kiting. Seemed to work ok (even if we had to b-res one of the mages).

Gothik the Harvester - {MW} - Somebody needs to tank both living and dead side. An OT can do the living side (I had a DK who had very poor tanking gear do it) its not bad, but you do have to have an OT even if they aren't fully spec/geared. He DC'ed during the fight a bit before the gate opened and we still got him down.

Four Horsepersons of the Apocalypse - {MW} - An OT can take one of the melee bosses. Same DK I mentioned did it.

Patchwerk - {AW} - Need a main tank and a hateful strike tank. The hateful strike tank actually takes more damage. We had planned that I would take the Hateful Strikes and the DK would have taken boss. Didn't work that way and we still did fine.

Thaddius -{AW} - Had that same DK do one of the beginning adds.

Kel'thuzad - This is the only one I personally haven't tried (but you can see in this thread that others have). Adds need to be tanked. Off-spec may be able to do it, you may be able to handle them all.
Last edited by dunnark on Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dunnark

Re: [10] Naxx Single Prot Tank Bosses

Postby MrDuck » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:38 pm

dunnark wrote:Kel'thuzad - Adds need to be tanked. Off-spec possible? Kite possible?[/list]
Maintank can take Kel'Thuzad and adds at once. Our offtank died quite early (~20-30% i think), and if i'm not mistaken, the damage from adds increases by buff on them, not a debuff on tank, so i took their increased damage for lets say 30% of fight with no problem at all, using 3 healers on our progress kill. Or otherwise i believe that Kel'Thuzad could be tanked(maybe only in p3 if he's tauntable) by any melee dps that can do enough threat, lets say ret with righteous fury. The boss himself doesnt really hurt at all, i believe the adds can be worse...though i didnt see any significant damage on myself tanking boss+adds anyway.

Nice list,was looking for such thing :-) (Though i'm sure it'll be easymode to solotank every boss there by the time we get T8-T9, later one maybe solo healing with some offspecs even :P).
MrDuck

Postby majiben » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:49 pm

If you had no melee dps you could single tank patchwerk. I suspect once you get better gear a unholy dps DK who invested in Boneshield would allow you to kill most of the 2 tank bosses easily enough by burning really quickly.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Maat » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:00 pm

I usually single-tank Naxx with a ret paladin/fury warrior/DK-of-some-flavor as "offtank". As long as they have a respectable set of tanking gear and some tanking experience.

The 2 mobs before Thaddius do hit pretty hard - told my fury warrior to try tanking them in dps gear (with sword and board) and he got smashed.

And yeah I just tank the adds along with Kelthuzad. Makes for some really preemptive void circle dancing when the adds get to like 5x size due to dps dying.
Maat

Postby dunnark » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:58 pm

Maat wrote:I usually single-tank Naxx with a ret paladin/fury warrior/DK-of-some-flavor as "offtank". As long as they have a respectable set of tanking gear and some tanking experience.

Maat, so what you are saying is the list should be 100%. :)

Any suggestions or strats on the other 3 bosses I had originally put in the hard category? Like who does living or dead for Gothik (real tank or makeshift), do you let the makeshift tank take the HS on patchwork, etc?
dunnark

Postby Maat » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:12 pm

Gothik, I always tank undead side and stack most of the casters there. I have my offtank kill off living side in mostly tank gear with the healer hiding in a corner. Things just die so quickly on living side in general, just make sure someone who can cleanse disease is on that side.

4H, we zerg-burn Thane with two healers, with the offtank on Thane. He doesn't really hit melee that hard so it doesn't matter if they take aggro (can be taunted anyway of course). I'm just in my corner by myself with Rivendare trying to stay alive between sacred shield, shield wall, LoH and whatnot.

Patchwerk, I tried to get my offtank to MT Patchwerk, except I took one hateful and had Patch's attention for the rest of the fight and said screw it, and had the offtank eating hatefuls (which only hit for mebbe 9k on plate). Very simple as long as the offtank doesn't go down, but that's entirely in the healers' hands.

We do overgear the content somewhat (I do anyway, mostly in Naxx25 gear, and my offtanks all have offspec tanking leftovers) so keep that in mind.
Maat

Postby Dehn » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:23 am

Did a 10man achievement run yesterday.. And yet another run where one person dies at one boss encounter.. damnit, I want my title :)

We ran with me as only protspecced person, and had a unholy dps DK with some tankgear whenever we needed a 2nd tank..

In my point of view, where you need a 2nd tank/ot..

- adds at anub, but anyone with some armor could.
- soak hateful at patchwerk.
- OT for a bit at gluth
- tank a melee add at 4h
- tank one side at thaddius
- pick up adds at noth.
- tank one side at gothik.

Everything else, I solo-tanked just fine, but I pretty much got all gear i want from 25mans.
Dehn

Postby Strendarr » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:44 am

imo the only truly impossible one is thaddius, but even that might have a workaround once the characters get strong enough.

Kel Thuzad can be one tanked, I've done it.

Patchwerk will be able to once gear reaches a certain level.

Gothik will be doable at a certain gear level, tank all the crapola on one side then get ready for the gates to open and meet the deluge head on.

4H: The horsemen don't hit super hard. At a certain gear level, the DPS could zerg thane while the tank tanks mount boy from stratholme on the other side. Just kill Thane before he inflicts a raid critical amount of kills on you. It would help if plate DPS were taking his original hits becuase its semi healable through.

Grobbulus: I always one tank this, on 10 or 25 man, doesn't matter. DPS AOE's the slimes when a few have built up then go back to single target on the boss. Makes for very fast kills in fact, I'd go so far as to recommend it. Having a second tank to pick up adds just in case one leaks loose doesn't hurt though.

Noth is also definitely doable. Raid just needs to stand in a clump.
Strendarr

Postby Darillinis » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:37 am

Strendarr wrote:Gothik will be doable at a certain gear level, tank all the crapola on one side then get ready for the gates to open and meet the deluge head on.

I did this 2 nights ago. It's really not hard, just super chaotic when the gates open. It also felt longer, not sure how true that is though.
Darillinis

Postby Samilyn » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:41 pm

Gluth [10] -- We've had a fully DPS spec'd DK off tank him. His de-buff refreshes at about 3s remaining, so have your OT taunt at 5 seconds and taunt back at 1-2 seconds (or when it drops, if you want). Your OT will take 2-3 hits max, so even if they get crit they'll be all right as long as your healer's aren't asleep.

It'd be interesting to experiment with a ranged taunt so that your OT takes 0 hits. Having a Ret taunt 40yds lateral to Gluth to keep him away from zombies, he runs over, tank re-taunts when his debuff is at 1-0 seconds, debuff falls off, Gluth enters melee range.
Samilyn

Postby QuantumDelta » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:20 am

Darillinis wrote:
Strendarr wrote:Gothik will be doable at a certain gear level, tank all the crapola on one side then get ready for the gates to open and meet the deluge head on.

I did this 2 nights ago. It's really not hard, just super chaotic when the gates open. It also felt longer, not sure how true that is though.

It's not, we do this every week on 10 now.
If you have boss mods or a combat timer and do it both ways it should read about the same, if anything it's faster cuz you don't have a problem with the gate + teleports :P

--->> Naxx completely cleared with 1 tank (*Bar 4h) and 2 Healers.
4h with 2 healers was /pro/ though.
nani shini umareta no? nani shini koko ni iru?
ikinokoritai, umaranai kizum, hikari osoreteta
QuantumDelta

Postby Belloc » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:02 am

We've had a resto druid use barkskin and then bearform to taunt Gluth for a bit, so that's not bad at all.

The wights on Thaddius hit REALLY hard, and I would not be very excited about tanking them as anything but prot specced.

Patchwerk can be solo tanked if your entire group is ranged. Otherwise, a DPS tank might be able to MT, but that just sounds silly.

Leaving an entire side up on Gothic sounds hilarious... I'd like to give that a try sometime. 4H don't melee all that hard.

Really, the only fights that I'd expect problems on are Thaddius and Patchwerk.
Belloc

Postby QuantumDelta » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:06 am

retri pally with crit immune offspec gear ;p
nani shini umareta no? nani shini koko ni iru?
ikinokoritai, umaranai kizum, hikari osoreteta
QuantumDelta

Postby Salamandra » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:29 am

On 10-man, as long as you have no melee dps, I wouldn't think Patchwerk would be any problem whatsoever to solo tank. Neither his normal attacks nor hateful strikes hit very hard at all, even for 2 healers to heal through.
Salamandra

Postby Rokh » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:01 pm

Yea i solo tanked 10man patch for the achievment.

1tank, 2 heals, 7 ranged dps.

Never was worried at all, was above 50% hp most of the time.
Rokh

Next

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon