[25] Sartharion - Question on a fight mechanic

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[25] Sartharion - Question on a fight mechanic

Postby Neroth » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:10 am

I tanked Heroic Sarthy last night for the first time in a pug group.

During our first attempt I got clipped by a fire wall and knocked into the lava. As I was jumping out trying to get back to Sartharion I went flying all the way across the room and landed in the lava on the other side of the platform.

You can imagine the confusion as Sartharion ran all the way across the platform after me and right through the rest of the raid.

I had to reposition him and in the process there were a number of dps that got cleaved and/or firebreathed.

I thought it might be a lava wave mechanic, but later we actually downed him by having me stand in the center lava wave gap and just stay there. When the wave came from the other direction the healers just healed me through it. (DPS couldn't figure out how to not get hit by his tail when I had to move to the other gap). Since it was no adds up, I took very little damage and just got knocked back a bit.

Will the colums of fire near the corners thow you across the room? When I got clipped I know that I probably ended up fairly close to one of them.
Neroth

Postby baleogthefierce » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:53 am

The swirling tornadoes of fire all around the main area do a wicked knockback, that's what got you.
baleogthefierce

Postby Chunes » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:12 am

Another question,

Are the fire spawns in the fight totally random or is there some sort of trigger that spawns them? Seems that a couple videos I have seen have almost no fire spawns until the mass zerg of them at the end, while our raid tends to have many.
Chunes

Postby Belloc » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:39 am

Chunes wrote:Another question,

Are the fire spawns in the fight totally random or is there some sort of trigger that spawns them? Seems that a couple videos I have seen have almost no fire spawns until the mass zerg of them at the end, while our raid tends to have many.

They've always seemed completely random to me. I imagine that it's just another ability that has a cooldown. So, the longer the fight takes, the more you'll see. I could be wrong, though.
Belloc

Postby Mex » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:36 am

Yeah the knockback is caused by the tornados in the lava. I remember we were doing Sarth + drakes, and buffing up getting ready for an attempt etc. Our druid was mucking around in the lava in seal form. All of a sudden we heard "OH SHIT! RUN OUT RUN OUT!" on vent, and saw a bear fly through the air straight into Sarth.

Regarding the fire eles, I've done the fight probably 100 or so times by now (several nights of wiping on both 10 and 25 man 3drake attempts), and there's absolutely no discernable pattern to their spawns, apart from the fact that they spawn from _some_ lava strikes (fireballs hitting the ground). Some attempts, I've seen 12+ spawn in the first 30 seconds, other times there have been 0 until almost 45 seconds in.
Mex

Postby Neroth » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:41 am

Thanks for the quick replies. I thought the fire tornados might be the culprit, but wanted to make sure.

I much prefer not to take flight across the room while tanking the boss. :lol:
Neroth

Postby Chunes » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:50 am

yes indeed, thank you guys for your responses!
Chunes

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon