Remove Advertisements

[10] Fail DPS or by-product of good tanking?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10] Fail DPS or by-product of good tanking?

Postby xstrykr » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:49 pm

Not sure if this is the best place for this or not... if it's not, if someone could move it to a more appropriate place, it'd be appreciated. Anyway...

It's been like two weeks since our last Naxx-10 raid and we finally went back in last night and got the Spider Wing + Noth down in a little under two hours.

It was also my first time keeping track of the combat log for a WWS parse, which I've uploaded...

Now take a look at what stands out. First off, on Anub'rekhan, right before the first locust swarm, our warrior tank who was actually tanking the boss, had his power go out, so I had to tank the boss while our ret pally stepped up w/ sword and board to tank the other elites. So that's why his DPS is fail (and presence is like 13%). We never replaced him because we didn't feel like pugging one, nor did we have any other guildies that could get on at the time.

But how the heck am I SECOND on the DPS charts?!? Well, second in terms of damage output, but third in DPS output. Still, I'm kinda :shock: by it all. Actually, VERY :shock: with a little bit of :lol: and a touch of :?

Three questions:
1. Would our ret pally (Kynyn) switching back and forth between DPS and tanking hurt his output that much?
2. Is my damage output that high because I was weaving Holy Wrath instead of Consecration whenever I could? Or could it be because our rogue was giving me Tricks of the Trade on every single cooldown that I was in range to receive?
3. Against Noth and single-tanking everything, are numbers like that really possible?
xstrykr

Postby majiben » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:07 pm

Well there aren't any great many of sit there and dps fights in that parse. The first and third boss fights in there are the best samples you have for checking that. Your shadowpriest's and mage's performance are poor and vary a lot while the rest of your group is acceptable. Watch your rogue too, he is a little low but he is consistent.

Not sure exactly what is boosting everyone's dps on noth, as the adds shouldn't be boost the dps of everyone by that much.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby xstrykr » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:12 pm

Majiben wrote:Well there aren't any great many of sit there and dps fights in that parse. The first and third boss fights in there are the best samples you have for checking that. Your shadowpriest's and mage's performance are poor and vary a lot while the rest of your group is acceptable. Watch your rogue too, he is a little low but he is consistent.

Not sure exactly what is boosting everyone's dps on noth, as the adds shouldn't be boost the dps of everyone by that much.

That's partly what I was afraid of.

Re: mage and shadow priest, I know the SPriest's DPS is on the low side, most of it is her rotation, and part gear. The mage is the opposite - decent enough rotation, shitty gear. Rogue wasn't spec'd for PvE that night - we pulled him in without giving him a chance to respec. His damage output the last time we went through was easily 10-15% higher for the same period of time.
xstrykr

Postby Serelynn » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:16 am

In blues and greens, a DPS class that is spec'd properly and knows their rotation can pull a minimum of 2.5k DPS. Right now, it looks like your guild would be better off running heroics for gear instead of Naxx (more drops from heroics). o.O
Serelynn

Postby majiben » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:28 am

Serelynn wrote:In blues and greens, a DPS class that is spec'd properly and knows their rotation can pull a minimum of 2.5k DPS. Right now, it looks like your guild would be better off running heroics for gear instead of Naxx (more drops from heroics). o.O
That's just not true.

Besides the synergy for their group wasn't the best. No sunder armor or crit aura for the melee and no crit aura or elemental shaman totems for the casters. Not to mention the lack of a good just sit there and dps for that parse.
majiben

Postby hoho » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:38 am

xstrykr wrote:Re: mage and shadow priest, I know the SPriest's DPS is on the low side, most of it is her rotation, and part gear.
The shadowpriest should be pulling at minimum 1k higher DPS in the gear (s)he has. The rotation is pretty much non-existant and (s)he seems to mash buttons randomly without giving ant thought to it. You can compare his performance with mine. I have quite a bit higher gear but just take a look at the amount of dot ticks and spell casts to get a rough idea. It's not normal when my fights last ~1-2 mins less but I cast as much spells and have as much dot ticks as (s)he.

After that send that priest to here, there are people there to set him/her straight :)
Majiben wrote:Besides the synergy for their group wasn't the best. ... no crit aura or elemental shaman totems for the casters.
Casters did have shaman spellpower totems. Pretty much the only thing missing was +13% spelldamage.
hoho

Postby majiben » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:42 am

hoho wrote:
Majiben wrote:Besides the synergy for their group wasn't the best. ... no crit aura or elemental shaman totems for the casters.
Casters did have shaman spellpower totems. Pretty much the only thing missing was +13% spelldamage.
Elemental shamman totems give almost 100 more sp than the basic one.
majiben

Postby Fenris » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:55 am

Majiben wrote:
hoho wrote:
Elemental shamman totems give almost 100 more sp than the basic one.

144/165 from flametongue based on talents in enhanced totems,280 from wrath,so it's even more than 100sp difference
ImageImage
ImageImage
Fenris

Postby Strendarr » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:52 am

plus 3% crit from that particular totem, elemental only

add in elemental oath, 5% raid wide spell crit everytime the shaman crits, 15 second uptime.
= constant 5% extra crit.

add them all together, elemental shaman makes a huge difference in the damage of casters in a raid.
Strendarr

Postby majiben » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:06 am

Strendarr wrote:plus 3% crit from that particular totem, elemental only
HotC doesn't stack with but the extra SP, haste and 5% crit is a big difference.
majiben

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon