Remove Advertisements

The extreme lameness of the priest requirement in Naxx/25

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

The extreme lameness of the priest requirement in Naxx/25

Postby Strendarr » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:20 am

Is anyone else's guild having a lot of trouble with this? The priests we're having to rely on are two who would normally never be in this kind of role. They're very poor pressure players and they just cant get the job done, but we literally dont have any other priests that raid, and I also don't like having to put that kind of pressure on them. We literally can't do razuvius because of it and on Faerlina I've managed to get a ton of lucky dodge/parries strung together in a row on the times we've killed her while the mc is either too late or too slow or dropped accidentally or the embrace is used too soon.

It's so bad in fact that myself and another competent player from my guild are actually levelling priests of our own because we're used to being put in key roles that the raid depends on and won't get all flustered when doing so. It never would've been a class that I would've gone to level otherwise, but the fight mechanic is so lame that we're having to do it or we'll literally never clear 25 man naxx.

What happened to Blizzards new philosophy of "bring the player, not the class?". Put in the freaking mind control orbs from the 10 man and let anyone do it for razuvius at the very least!

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!
Strendarr

Re: The extreme lameness of the priest requirement in Naxx/2

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:21 am

Strendarr wrote:Is anyone else's guild having a lot of trouble with this? The priests we're having to rely on are two who would normally never be in this kind of role. They're very poor pressure players and they just cant get the job done, but we literally dont have any other priests that raid, and I also don't like having to put that kind of pressure on them. We literally can't do razuvius because of it and on Faerlina I've managed to get a ton of lucky dodge/parries strung together in a row on the times we've killed her while the mc is either too late or too slow or dropped accidentally or the embrace is used too soon.

It's so bad in fact that myself and another competent player from my guild are actually levelling priests of our own because we're used to being put in key roles that the raid depends on and won't get all flustered when doing so. It never would've been a class that I would've gone to level otherwise, but the fight mechanic is so lame that we're having to do it or we'll literally never clear 25 man naxx.

What happened to Blizzards new philosophy of "bring the player, not the class?". Put in the freaking mind control orbs from the 10 man and let anyone do it for razuvius at the very least!

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!

Bring the player not the class specifically doesn't apply to healing. Because of the high number of healers required, blizzard felt it was OK to have niches, and therefore (apparantly) weaknesses. In any event, they do want some representation of each class (not necessarily each spec) in 25 mans.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby katraya » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:25 am

I'm not sure how good your mages are, or how well this will really work, but I know some people have used mage tanks on Rasuvious:
http://www.forums.subcreation.net/viewt ... p?id=10872

Threat seems to be the biggest issue there.
katraya
Maintankadonor

Postby Strendarr » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:29 am

Katraya wrote:I'm not sure how good your mages are, or how well this will really work, but I know some people have used mage tanks on Rasuvious:
http://www.forums.subcreation.net/viewt ... p?id=10872

Threat seems to be the biggest issue there.

that's intriguing, because... I have a mage!

lol

/ponders the highest threat mage spec
Strendarr

Postby Belloc » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:25 pm

I would think that healing is the highest pressure job there is.

If a priest can't handle something as simple as casting MC and hitting 3 buttons in an easy pattern (6, 5, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4... etc) and coordinating a taunt switch (which anyone with BigWigs can do, since it shows the taunt cooldowns), then I don't see how they can do their healing jobs.

As for Faerlina, just tell your healers to heal you like they heal on Patchwerk. The enrage really isn't all that bad if you have staggered heals landing.
Belloc

Postby Panzerdin » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:27 pm

Frankly, you need new Priests. There is no way you're going to be able to carry these people through an entire expansion.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby baleogthefierce » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:03 pm

For our first night on Razuvious we still had not figured out the shadow resist bug, so our priests could not hold MC for more than 5 seconds...

So we just put a couple of healers on our tanks and held the adds while our 3 hunters kited Razuvious around using a distracting shot rotation :D
baleogthefierce

Postby rickforking » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:10 pm

baleogthefierce wrote:For our first night on Razuvious we still had not figured out the shadow resist bug, so our priests could not hold MC for more than 5 seconds...

So we just put a couple of healers on our tanks and held the adds while our 3 hunters kited Razuvious around using a distracting shot rotation :D
Shadow resist bug?
rickforking

Postby MrDuck » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:53 pm

rickforking wrote:
baleogthefierce wrote:For our first night on Razuvious we still had not figured out the shadow resist bug, so our priests could not hold MC for more than 5 seconds...

Shadow resist bug?
EXPLANE PLZ

Really this boss sucks. We cleared all 10man content 'cept sartharion with drakes up, 3 wings at naxx 25 and sarth25, and the reason why we didnt even step into DK wing is the stupid priest requirement stopping us. Anyway, i understand there are 2 priests needed to rotate on adds, not one right?
MrDuck

Postby majiben » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:37 am

I really dislike that they have this requirement. There is no good explaination why they didn't use the same mechanics as in the 10 man.
You make a class where they is no tanking tree have to tank for the one encounter since level 60 naxx. Why? Because of flavor. Well that's all fine and dandy if you happen to be running with two shadowpriests in your raid who have tank alts for some reason.

How does this flavor taste to the guild that run with 1 or no priests? How does it taste to the holy priest who has never mced or tanked in their life. How about to the priest who has no hit gear and suffers constant mc breaks. How about the player who thinks that the stundent's bone shield works like the DK one and wipes their raid by hitting it early thinking they were doing a good thing? What about the guild running with 6 healers who are forced to 4 heal the fight because they have 2 priest healers. How does it taste to the hours spent learning how have the priest mc, work out a tank rotation and knowing where and when to break the mc when you have 2-4 tanks in your raid that already know how to do it. What about the repairs of the rest of the raid while your guild wipes because the priest have no idea what the hell is going on and why do they have to practice something they have never seen before or will need to do again?
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Rhiannon » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:14 am

Truly this fight is quite irritating to learn if you don't have access to experienced shadowpriests. Fortunately our holies have stepped up and learnt it well, but we did have to say "looks like no military wing tonight" a few times because we only had one of them on. It does mean we tend to take 7 healers, just because of this fight, as four-healering it is a bit of a pain in the ass (esp if our replenishment bots aren't on).

One thing that sped up the learning process for us was to have a few attempts with just the healers, tanks and priests in while the DPS twiddled their thumbs. This led to less bitching from DPS dying if a priest screwed up, shorter recovery time and so on.
Rhiannon

Postby Panzerdin » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:33 am

Majiben wrote:I really dislike that they have this requirement. There is no good explaination why they didn't use the same mechanics as in the 10 man.
You make a class where they is no tanking tree have to tank for the one encounter since level 60 naxx. Why? Because of flavor. Well that's all fine and dandy if you happen to be running with two shadowpriests in your raid who have tank alts for some reason.

How does this flavor taste to the guild that run with 1 or no priests? How does it taste to the holy priest who has never mced or tanked in their life. How about to the priest who has no hit gear and suffers constant mc breaks. How about the player who thinks that the stundent's bone shield works like the DK one and wipes their raid by hitting it early thinking they were doing a good thing? What about the guild running with 6 healers who are forced to 4 heal the fight because they have 2 priest healers. How does it taste to the hours spent learning how have the priest mc, work out a tank rotation and knowing where and when to break the mc when you have 2-4 tanks in your raid that already know how to do it. What about the repairs of the rest of the raid while your guild wipes because the priest have no idea what the hell is going on and why do they have to practice something they have never seen before or will need to do again?

It isn't tanking. It's pressing 3 bloody buttons.
Panzerdin

Postby majiben » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:36 am

Panzerdin wrote:It isn't tanking. It's pressing 3 bloody buttons.
What was paladin tanking in 2.4?
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Panzerdin » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:38 am

You had to concentrate on more than one mob doing that. Some of them even moved around, or cast spells!

All they have to do is walk up to him and hit 3 buttons in sequence.
Panzerdin

Postby Passionario » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:43 am

Tell them to think of it as vehicle combat.

Controlling an Understudy isn't all that different from controlling a drake.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Next

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon