Remove Advertisements

Diffrent Strat for heigan

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Diffrent Strat for heigan

Postby Calanas » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:30 am

Just did our first try at the safety dance. We had a melee heavy raid as that is what we have at level 80 right now.

The DPS is having issues learning the dance. On a whim we tried tanking him on the platform, with the melee attacking him there, and the had the healers dance around. We only had 1 ranged DPS.

It worked pretty well, but the DPS died on phase 2 in droves, leaving me, the other tank, 1 rogue and 1 healer not dead. we got em down to 1/3 before the healer hit a lag spike and ate it.

My question is that once DPS gets phase 2 is this a viable strat? the healer only let me get below 10k like once the whole fight.
Calanas
Level 80: Gilneas
The Covenant
Calanas

Postby Maddok » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:45 am

The group I run with runs melee heavy as well, 3 melee DPS and usually 2 ranged and that is how we do it.

If people are having issues learning the dance you may wish to mark the healers (who hopefully can dance) or use engineered smoke flares to mark safe spots.
Maddok

Postby Worldie » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:11 am

What about just having them learn the dance?

If they can't dance on heigan then you'll have no chance in progressing on Thaddius or any harder encounter.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby mirkodeluxe » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:31 am

If your dpsers cant learn the dance in 2-3 tries then they are obviously too stupid for anything beyond.
Get rid of them instead of trying to reinvent the wheel.

Which is exactly what worldie said, only less polite :)
mirkodeluxe

Postby Maelstrom » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:28 am

Tell your melee your tank cant babysit them and they need to think for once. DPS heigan from the front if you're really worried, Heigan's tank damage is pathetic.
Maelstrom

Postby Belloc » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:46 am

Seriously, the dance is easy. One of the major advantages of actually doing the dance in phase 1 (as opposed to tanking on the corner of the platform) is that your ranged get to see how the dance is done.

Just stick a mark (square) on your best dancer and have everyone follow him exactly. If someone can't get it after 2 tries, they're going to screw you on other fights.
Belloc

Postby Aedolfmawini » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:18 am

Belloc wrote:Just stick a mark (square) on your best dancer and have everyone follow him exactly. If someone can't get it after 2 tries, they're going to screw you on other fights.

I'm sure this is with good intentions, but it will almost certainly get you wiped (or at least cause deaths).

If you've ever done this perfectly as a guild (i.e. no deaths), you'll notice that no matter how fast the other people are, they are all behind you on your client. But on their client, you would look like you are behind them. Latency. If you wait for a person with a mark to move, you eat green crap and die far more often than if you get a clue about the encounter and move on your own.

The best way to be successful on that encounter (and many others with positioning that requires quick response time) is to do it yourself. The times when you want to put marks on "good" people are the times when the position matters a lot more than the time it takes to get there, IMO.

I guess I would be a fan of smoke markers for the inept, though. Can't really fail there.
Aedolfmawini

Postby OntetheProt » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:27 am

Worldie wrote:What about just having them learn the dance?

If they can't dance on heigan then you'll have no chance in progressing on Thaddius or any harder encounter.

So true... it seems that jumping to the platform is the hardest thing in the game for some. Lets not even discuss polarity.
OntetheProt

Postby Kellann » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:45 am

No - you can't stand on the platform during phase 2 if you want to live.

Yes - your people have to learn the dance.

Honestly, tell them to look at the damn cracks on the floor near the platform. They make distinctly different shapes which you can pretty memorize and associate with "1 2 3 4" positions. If they can't manage that, god help them getting to the store to buy milk.
Kellann - Uther
Kellann

Postby Calanas » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:57 am

we dont stay on the platform during phase 2, i just tank em there so the melee can whale on em during 1 without moving around. our healers proved to be more adept at dancing.

and i like the people Im raiding with, even with all the "fun" lol

I guess its just the learning curve. we also did try it after wiping on max cause the dps isnt quite geared up enough yet. The post here about DPS neededing to be more on the ball in the expac is right on.
Calanas
The Covenant
Calanas

Postby Equitas » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:17 am

People who suck at Heigan dancing should generally be warned that they will not be taken to progression or movement encounters. Out of 25 People on Heigan roughly 11 Die Each kill. We usually end up killing him with 14 people.

Last time we warned people with 50 DKP MINUS if they fail the next time so people bother studying the dance.
I am filled with Rage.... and cupcakes!!!
Of the Nightfall - Check
Twilight Vanquisher - Check
the Undying - Check
the Immortal - Missing
Equitas

Postby Pallyana » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:19 am

Our problem was the ranged DPS didn't have a clue as to the timing required on the moving. (They weren't paying that much attention)

Took a while of failing miserably, but after a lot of attempts of flat out refusing to put marks on people, everyone began to realize that "omg, it works better if I think for myself instead of waiting on the tank" Got the safety dance achievement the 2nd week we did it.

Basicly, don't mark anyone or use flares. MAKE them learn it.

Here's a hint on where you should be visualy aiming based on running with the camera view towards the boss. Platform Corner, first half platform, second half platform, platform corner.
2k DPS Prot paladin.
Pallyana

Postby Senador » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:35 am

Making the failures watch as you and a healer 2 man Heigan for 40 minutes while making them all sit as corpses is a very good motivator.

You realize how hard it is to dance, t-bag corpses as you run past, mock people on vent and respond to angry whispers demanding you just wipe it all at the same time?!
Senador

Postby Calanas » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:18 pm

Senador wrote:Making the failures watch as you and a healer 2 man Heigan for 40 minutes while making them all sit as corpses is a very good motivator.

You realize how hard it is to dance, t-bag corpses as you run past, mock people on vent and respond to angry whispers demanding you just wipe it all at the same time?!

LOLZ.

Since im the GM/RL thats going to be a RW macro

Calanas t-bags {target}
Calanas
The Covenant
Calanas

Postby Nalyn » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:59 pm

Granted, when I first saw this, it took me 4 or 5 tries to figure out just where to move to, but after I did, it was cake. Learning this fight, and doing the dance is all about realizing that it's NOT about doing max dps, its about planning your move to the next area, who cares if the boss takes an extra 20 seconds to take down, that's a lot less than the extra 5 minutes it takes, cause 3/4's of the raid is dead.
Nalyn

Next

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon