wowwiki info correct? - Anub'Rekhan

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

wowwiki info correct? - Anub'Rekhan

Postby Ocin » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:07 pm

"A protection paladin is best suited to add duty, with their good AOE and snap threat, while a warrior or druid is best suited to Main Tanking, as they are able to charge back to the boss if impaled (although a warrior also has Intervene, making them slightly preferable, the boss was done without intervene prior to patch 2.0 by running round the circle, and this is still achievable, particularly in the 10-man)."

http://www.wowwiki.com/Anub%27Rekhan

we're just starting this tonight, but i can't see how it matters who tanks the adds on this fight. there's only 2 and every tank has some kind of AoE now. Doesn't the impale send you straight up in the air? I don't see intercept being an advantage there, but i could be wrong.
Last edited by Ocin on Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ocin

Postby Panzerdin » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:21 pm

Having edited this into its current form, I suppose I had best answer:

Protection Paladins have the best snap threat. Nobody else can start from nothing and immediately pull good threat, therefore you are the best choice to pick up any adds. You are also THE BEST AOE tank, allowing the fastest AOE damage.

Given that I live in Patch 2.4, it's worth considering that Death Knights can replicate our Snap Threat, but are still not as effective at AOE tanking.

On the boss, you want your tank in the air for two reasons:
1. A tank in the air is doing no TPS or DPS
2. The boss may bug with the tank in the air

For those reasons, a Warrior or Druid is marginally preferable at tanking.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Ocin » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:26 pm

Panzerdin wrote:Having edited this into its current form, I suppose I had best answer:

Protection Paladins have the best snap threat. Nobody else can start from nothing and immediately pull good threat, therefore you are the best choice to pick up any adds. You are also THE BEST AOE tank, allowing the fastest AOE damage.

Given that I live in Patch 2.4, it's worth considering that Death Knights can replicate our Snap Threat, but are still not as effective at AOE tanking.

On the boss, you want your tank in the air for two reasons:
1. A tank in the air is doing no TPS or DPS
2. The boss may bug with the tank in the air

For those reasons, a Warrior or Druid is marginally preferable at tanking.

I can't believe for 1-2 adds it matters how much snap threat you have in this situation.

How much is the threat lose of being in the air? would a pally have that slim of a threat lead that they'd lose any measurable threat especially since the boss is undead and a pally has ranged abilities?
Ocin

Postby Panzerdin » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:30 pm

No, they wouldn't, but I live in the past, where Threat is an issue.

Snap Threat, on the other hand, IS important. The sooner you're putting out decent TPS, the sooner DPS can start.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Ocin » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:38 pm

meh, i more then likely will be OTing because of this article when i wouldn't have if the article was a little more tank neutral.
Ocin

Postby Kelaan » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:51 pm

I get Exorcism + Shield toss... warriors get Heroic throw. From a threat standpoint, yes, I have an advantage.

I don't think that advantage is such that the other tanks can't do Just Fine here, though. I will have to watch omen more closely next time, but I just never felt like ANYONE was remotely close to me on threat. So, if a warrior has half the snap threat, it probably doesn't matter anyways.

PoJustice is a good reason to be tanking the boss, IMO. ;)
Kelaan

Postby Lore » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:59 pm

Every tank is capable of putting out enough snap threat to hold aggro on Anub'rekhan adds. I see no reason to single out Prot Pallies.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Spectrum » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:21 pm

Yup, outdated thinking. I changed it. I haven't done the fight enough to really suggest a solid strat. Maybe in the future.
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Postby Maelstrom » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:39 pm

Snap aggro on adds that have a fixed spawn point is serious business. Just /roll to see who gets to be add tank bitch, really there's no point in worrying over such an easy boss. Oh, but make sure your DPS are awake as the DoT the adds apply apparently stings if it stacks up too high.
Maelstrom

Postby majiben » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:07 pm

Exorcism does make a nice secondary threat move. Honestly though many of the multi tank fights in naxx are boring for the main tank. That's just my take on it.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Morpheren » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:28 am

Majiben wrote:Exorcism does make a nice secondary threat move. Honestly though many of the multi tank fights in naxx are boring for the main tank. That's just my take on it.

I enjoy mt'ing some calm fights. I spent so much of my BC raid time gathering murlocs, or infernals, or doomgaurds, or .... It's nice to just sit and tps my heart out.
whatisboom.com - Two parts rocket fuel, one part genius.
Chef Koriel, Guild Master of Fury Untold on Sen'jin
Morpheren

Postby mirkodeluxe » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:32 am

To be perfectly honest I forget to use exorcism in any normal rotation because of all the other new abilities available.
I use it on pulls, or to steal mobs from other tanks if the manage to pick up too many mobs... but otherwise I cant quite fit it in.

On tank differentiation: only if youre all undergeared should it matter on any arbitrary fight what tank you pick.
I too feel that tankadins take more predictable damage atm, but it doesnt really matter either.. everything is easy.
If all your tanks want to be MT on a Naxxrun - alternate!
No reason why one class or player should be relegated to OT all the time.
Practice, practice, practice. It'll get harder at 3.1(I hope)
mirkodeluxe

Postby Serelynn » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:45 am

Meh, half the time on Anub'Rekhan 25, I find it easier to tank both the adds and the boss at the same time. Any tank can be on the boss, and any tank can handle the adds, or one tank can just handle both at once. It honestly doesn't matter much anymore.
Serelynn

Postby Belloc » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:50 am

The only advantage in this fight that I know of is being able to intervene away from the boss during the kite phase. That's a MT advantage and I don't think anyone will dispute it.

But that's about it.
Belloc

Postby Belarkan » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:28 am

Maelstrom wrote:Snap aggro on adds that have a fixed spawn point is serious business. Just /roll to see who gets to be add tank bitch, really there's no point in worrying over such an easy boss. Oh, but make sure your DPS are awake as the DoT the adds apply apparently stings if it stacks up too high.
Belarkan

Next

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon