Remove Advertisements

10man Kel'Thuzad phase 3 possible as only tank

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby Fridmarr » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:56 pm

I've always done the all the tanking. I think it actually makes the fight easier because if you are positioned right, you'll never be ice tombed, and it frees up a DPS slot to speed it up which is important at progression time.

We had tried it with an OT but he kept getting tombed and would die and I'd end up with the adds anyhow, so finally just decided to have me tank them the whole time.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Dokidoki » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:09 pm

I usually end up getting stuck offtanking in my guild, I hope they dont drop me : /
Dokidoki

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:03 pm

Lore wrote:The tankspot videos are designed for the public en masse, he's not going to suggest doing something that makes the fight more difficult with no real benefit.

I would argue that a single tank for N10.KT is a huge improvement over trying to two-tank this fight. It removes an extraneous tank who is pretty much idle (or protdps) for 3/4s of the fight, splitting healer attention when the fight is probably at its most stressful, and draws the fight out longer, giving more time for something to go horribly wrong.

Solo tanking is easier and has major benefits over two-tanking this fight.

However: Two-tanking is arguably easier for tanks who can't tank multiple targets well (at which warriors have traditionally been weakest), but the downsides to a two tank approach are significant -- the only way it's less difficult or more beneficial is if any other approach leads to critical failure.

Admittedly we tend to dismiss the difficulty of tanking KT+Adds because we can tank over nine thousand targets as easily as three, but for raids with tanks who are unable to tank all three mobs at once, trying to solo tank KT would be a show stopper.

Tankspot's videos may provide a good starting point. But generally, if you can AoE tank an encounter, it's almost certainly most efficient to do so.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Kaelie » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:07 am

Chunes wrote:- if your interrupts are good, KT will be doing pansy damage to you.

Am I the only one that puts on max FrR for this fight? KT, 10 man at least, does pitiful damage on you if you're FrR capped.
Kaelie

Postby Dokidoki » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:09 am

we had multiple paladins in my run that were able to keep FR aura on, I think getting in FR gear is overkill, it's really not needed on 10 or 25 unless you really need help while trying to learn the content.
Dokidoki

Postby Fridmarr » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:11 am

Kaelie wrote:
Chunes wrote:- if your interrupts are good, KT will be doing pansy damage to you.

Am I the only one that puts on max FrR for this fight? KT, 10 man at least, does pitiful damage on you if you're FrR capped.

Depending on your group he'll do pitiful damage all around since his frostbolt is interruptable. It also wouldn't be best for doing the solo tanking strat if you wanted to go that way.

To answer your question, no, there's been some threads about people using frost gear on both kel and sapph. It works pretty well on both encounters.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby majiben » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:21 am

I would rather take the exorcism glyph over wearing FR gear. A 15 second interupt + a 1 min one should cover your needs very well.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Previous

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon