10man Kel'Thuzad phase 3 possible as only tank

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

10man Kel'Thuzad phase 3 possible as only tank

Postby caradoc » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:41 am

Last night our guild attempted Kel'Thuzad for the first time. We had a few wipes till everyone got the hang of healing the iceblocks, and moving out of the way etc. We had a warrior offtank, and I decided it would be best for him to MT so that i could assist in heals on the blocks. Due to shitty luck he disconnected right as he got hit with the void and died. I immediatly picked up the boss and tanked him into Phase 3, picked up the adds and we were able to down him with no issues. I was amazed to see that it was easily possible to tank it all with the stacking damage buff they get.
Caradoc-Kil'jaeden 80 Prot Paladin
caradoc

Postby Telvannis » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:55 am

Yeah I usually just tank all of it on the 10man as well.
"When the first link of chain is forged, the first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, it chains us all irrevocably."
Telvannis

Postby caradoc » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:57 am

Telvannis wrote:Yeah I usually just tank all of it on the 10man as well.

Yea i just found it odd because i was watching the tankspot video of it before the fight, and they said it was a must to have an offtank grab the adds or the debuff would stack, and you would die before downing him.
caradoc

Postby Chunes » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:04 am

there are a couple of balancing factors too.

- if your DPS is baller, you can survive tanking adds + KT since the debuff will not stack too high

- if your heals are baller, you can survive adds + KT since they will be able to spam you harder

- if your interrupts are good, KT will be doing pansy damage to you.

All in all, it's not too surprising you were able to pull this off (not raining on your parade, grats and all that ;P).

KT25 is a bit tougher because the adds stay alive a bit longer, hit a little harder, and KT will also MC you if you are unlucky as an add tank, meaning your 3rd tank will need to tank 4+ while you run around and attack your raid.
Chunes

Postby caradoc » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:10 am

ya it wasn't too bad our dps rocked,and we had 3 heals. We were all under the impression it was going to be a wipe, but i said to keep pushing just to see what we can get him down to, and to have healers get more practice with ice blocks.
caradoc

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:37 am

Solotanking on 10s is generally a better use of resources as healers don't have to split their attention between 2 tanks AND the raid, which can be especially tough if you're running 2 healers. Also, if the OT gets Ice Blocked, you may end up having to pick up the adds anyway.

More DPS on KT means less time for the stacking damage to grow.

I tend to run with a feral as my OT, so he does good DPS when necessary.

If you're running 2 prot specs + 3 heals, then you may need to break out a dedicated OT as your DPS is just going to take that long.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Precio » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:40 am

We did this the other night. The OT died early on from an Iceblock. Then phase 3 hit, our dps DK death gripped 1 then I taunted off, and I shielded the other. Our DPS DK, and Rogue died, the our holy priest died. 2 healers, 3 dps, and me. The adds got up to 15 stacks, it was epic. But yes, we downed him.
12/14 Ulduar10 - 8/14 Ulduar25
Precio

Postby Tiandelin » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:19 pm

Every single time I've fought KT in the 10-man, I've ended up solo-tanking phase 3. Inadvertently, mind you. Somehow, maybe due to some strange alignment of the stars, whatever OT we bring has managed to die to shadow fissure or iceblock every time we've fought him. Every. Single. Time. With all druid rezzes down due to having fought Sapphiron only minutes ago.

It's actually not that bad. Our first KT kill ended with four people down and the adds doing around 200% extra damage on me from their buff, and I only came close to dying a couple times. If you have decent gear (I only had around 32k health buffed at the time) and everyone can stay alive, you can solo-tank KT.
Tiandelin - Co-MT of Monolith, Area 52 US
Tiandelin

Postby Ashmadai » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:37 am

It's kinda funny, but the last time we killed KT[10] I was letting this Warrior tank KT and I was going to tank the adds. The MT got blown up by the poop at like 40% so I just taunted and tanked him and the adds, and I think it was actually easier because the healers didn't have to worry about me getting Frost blasted with the 2 adds beating me. I never even went below 50% health.
Ashmadai

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:35 am

Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:36 am

caradoc wrote:

Yea i just found it odd because i was watching the tankspot video of it before the fight, and they said it was a must to have an offtank grab the adds or the debuff would stack, and you would die before downing him.

Contrary to popular belief, tankspot is not always right, nor is Ciderhelm the lord Jesus Christ.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby degre » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:02 pm

Sabindeus wrote:
caradoc wrote:

Contrary to popular belief, tankspot is not always right, nor is Ciderhelm the lord Jesus Christ.

Well, I'd say that on starting base might be suggested to have that OT, a tank who just started doing 10 men wont have much fun solo tanking the whole place...

Later on surely can be done by having a melee dps bringing some offspec gear for when required.

Personally I'd like to keep on running with another tank simply cause I have fun with the other tanks :)
On EU-Kadghar: Degre | Beldegre | Degrotto | Koshien | Sousuke
degre

Postby omnomlets » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:22 pm

Yeah, we wiped our first attempt on KT because the OT was complicating things for healers, his healer got ice blocked and then he died and his adds killed another healer and ew.

Then I just decided I would tank it all and we got him on the next attempt, so there you go. Just tank them all, especially if you're a paladin, you'll be nearly full blocking them for a few growths.

We use an offpsec OT now for Naxx too, DPS DK. I can tank pretty much everything by myself, I'm sure most guilds could too but are locked into the "2 tanks 3 healers" model. I'd say its either 2 tanks or 3 healers for naxx. If you have 2 healers, bring 2 tanks, if you have 3 healers bring a single on-spec tank and an off-spec (with tank gear).
omnomlets

Postby cordelia » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:02 am

1 tank, 2 healers, lots of dps FTW
cordelia

Postby Lore » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:48 pm

Sabindeus wrote:
caradoc wrote:

The tankspot videos are designed for the public en masse, he's not going to suggest doing something that makes the fight more difficult with no real benefit.
Lore
Global Mod

Next

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon