Remove Advertisements

Warrior Tank or Pally Tank for Naxx ?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Warrior Tank or Pally Tank for Naxx ?

Postby Risar » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:50 am

What is your opinion and why? Being an OT Im always having to hold back to try to stay only second on threat, because If I unleash everything I have I will out threat almost anyone in the run. :roll:
Cilix
Risar
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:06 am

Postby ulushnar » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:51 am

Whichever one your group is happier with.

And why not Druid or DK? :P
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
User avatar
ulushnar
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 5442
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 6:56 am
Location: Bollocks, Scotland

Postby Kynes » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:00 am

Honestly, take your best tank. Whoever holds the best threat, is quickest on pulls, the most situationally aware, and loves cheese.

Loving cheese is a must.
Kynes of the Nightfall - Darkspear
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... ar&n=Kynes

Eversteel used to tank uphill both ways in the snow.
User avatar
Kynes
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:17 am

Postby Ashmadai » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:39 am

Well you're going to need more than one tank so it's not a real problem, eh?

I do 10 mans with one of my best friends(Warrior) as the other tank, and we just take turns tanking the bosses. Or if it's a fight where one of us is best suited for one job then that's who tanks it. It's not like it's a one tank instance, so you have to have another one anyway.
Image
Ashmadai
 
Posts: 546
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:50 pm

Postby Candiru » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:15 am

Druid is best, as they steal less of our loot!
Candiru
 
Posts: 2479
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 12:21 pm

Postby vya » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:18 am

Yes, running with a druid is the best for the loot rolls. Shields and tanking plate are yours for the taking!

But seriously, any tank will do in naxx. There are no fights that require or significantly benefit one tank over the other. (Although having a bear to take HS on patch is nice)
vya
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:01 am

Postby MrDuck » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:54 pm

Ashmadai wrote:Well you're going to need more than one tank so it's not a real problem, eh?

I do 10 mans with one of my best friends(Warrior) as the other tank, and we just take turns tanking the bosses. Or if it's a fight where one of us is best suited for one job then that's who tanks it. It's not like it's a one tank instance, so you have to have another one anyway.
I wanted to take turns with our warr on mt spot...and he rather went DPS leavin me as mt :\ I cant complain tho, its what i wanted for years, but hey its still weird the way i reached it .<
Image
MrDuck
 
Posts: 433
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:27 pm
Location: Obsidian Sanctum

Postby Zoltar » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:57 pm

I don't think there is a 'best tank' for any of it. Each come with diffent advantages. In Naxx [25] last night we had a Warrior, DK & myself. We just play to strengths. Eg. on trash AoE pulls the DK death grips one of the group to us, I consecrate, holy wrath & HotR. No dead squishies.

In terms of who MTs, again play to strengths. On Maxxena we have the DK tank as his damage reduction CDs see him all through the 30% and I am better at picking up spiders. On Heigan we all know the drill and can MT it but I prefer one of the others to do it as I can can chuck on some healing gear and help with cleansing and healing.... and it also leave me free to run about teabagging corpses of dead players. When we can't decide who is MTing it I bust out my fishing achievement coin and let it decide.
.
.
.
User avatar
Zoltar
 
Posts: 324
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:17 pm

Postby majiben » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:50 pm

Zoltar wrote:I don't think there is a 'best tank' for any of it. Each come with diffent advantages. In Naxx [25] last night we had a Warrior, DK & myself. We just play to strengths. Eg. on trash AoE pulls the DK death grips one of the group to us, I consecrate, holy wrath & HotR. No dead squishies.

In terms of who MTs, again play to strengths. On Maxxena we have the DK tank as his damage reduction CDs see him all through the 30% and I am better at picking up spiders. On Heigan we all know the drill and can MT it but I prefer one of the others to do it as I can can chuck on some healing gear and help with cleansing and healing.... and it also leave me free to run about teabagging corpses of dead players. When we can't decide who is MTing it I bust out my fishing achievement coin and let it decide.
Healing on heigan is quite laxx and you can still cleanse decently while tanking. You also have the advantage of having SoV and JoL continue to add threat while moving him around (my warrior tank always complains his threat is so much lower than mine when he tanks it).
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
User avatar
majiben
Moderator
 
Posts: 6999
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:37 pm
Location: Retired

Postby Morganim » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:54 pm

Theres an easy way to work it out

Paladin 1
Druid 2
Warrior 3
DK 4

/roll 4


We 2 man tank (me and a war) naxx 25 and every DK + druid is just dps, our cat feral just jumps in bear form for patchwerk and thats it, the place really is a joke and anyone could do it, we used a warrior in dps gear + s shield for thaddius last week lol.

Only downside to this is our druid is a little undergeared coming into sarth + 3 drakes but oh well
Morganim
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:55 pm

Postby knaughty » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:12 pm

13/15 bosses it doesn't matter.

At Patchwerk we have a slight advantage due to extra blocks. At Sapph we have OP TPS with JoL.

JoL at Sapph is the only one where you really want to have the pally tank.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
User avatar
knaughty
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3558
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:06 pm
Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Kelarik » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:27 pm

I tanked Arachnid Wing a couple nights ago with another Pally Tank off-tanking. Worked well, though he decided to throw up Wings during Maexxna and steal agro (since I was saving forbearance for bubble wall).

Going to take our guild into Plague Wing next weekend with the same tanks, looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
Image
User avatar
Kelarik
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:07 pm
Location: In front of the boss eating a chocolate cornet. Now, which side's the head?

Postby Maat » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:02 am

Our guild is pretty small but somehow we have a good half-dozen tanks+potential wannabe tanks. Us plate wearers could care less about the druid stat sticks and leather, but the plate, oh man. I have no idea how to fairly distro the avoidance plate.

I share the whole main-tank thing with a warrior friend, but usually I end up doing the main-tanking because the RL (healer now, who ironically was the protadin in TBC, and I the holydin) feels my damage intake is less chunky being block-capped and that I have retarded threat output. Otherwise we're pretty equivalently geared, but we're both eyeing the pure avoidance plate now...

which leaves out the poor DKs who want to tank, because that's all they should be using. Not enough well-itemized plate too go around >_<
User avatar
Maat
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:48 am

Postby Zoltar » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:50 pm

Majiben wrote:
Zoltar wrote:I don't think there is a 'best tank' for any of it. Each come with diffent advantages. In Naxx [25] last night we had a Warrior, DK & myself. We just play to strengths. Eg. on trash AoE pulls the DK death grips one of the group to us, I consecrate, holy wrath & HotR. No dead squishies.

In terms of who MTs, again play to strengths. On Maxxena we have the DK tank as his damage reduction CDs see him all through the 30% and I am better at picking up spiders. On Heigan we all know the drill and can MT it but I prefer one of the others to do it as I can can chuck on some healing gear and help with cleansing and healing.... and it also leave me free to run about teabagging corpses of dead players. When we can't decide who is MTing it I bust out my fishing achievement coin and let it decide.
Healing on heigan is quite laxx and you can still cleanse decently while tanking. You also have the advantage of having SoV and JoL continue to add threat while moving him around (my warrior tank always complains his threat is so much lower than mine when he tanks it).


True, but what is the prot warrior going to do in this fight then? Just as easy to let him tank rather than saying "you do whatever, I'm gonna tank, cleanse & heal..... because I can" :)
.
.
.
User avatar
Zoltar
 
Posts: 324
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:17 pm

Postby Amarant_Pally » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:29 am

Naxx has been cleared with all sorts of various class "MTs". I was chosen as my guilds "primary" MT for most bosses, mostly due to our ex-Warrior's attitude (long story short...I have a better one).

Many...many...MANY healers have commented (going completely by what I've read) that Paladins are the "easiest" to heal (with OP-Druids taking Patchwerk hatefuls being the exception). Blizzard has said, as well, at this stage in the game: DK's are probably too spiky (hence their upcoming changes), Druids are a little OP in certain regards (hence their upcoming changes), Paladins are "fine" (for the most part), and Warriors might take a little more damage now, but will most likely take the least later on (which is something they might fix).

As far as threat goes, there are some fights were even I (yes, Pally-tank-with-OP-JoL) get my ass ridden on threat (and I don't mean within a few percent; more like 20-10%), where another tank might have threat problems. I really think that in Ulduar, threat will be more of an issue and Blizz might have to balance that a bit. I can out-threat any Warrior or DK (Druids are harder), even without nifty JoL procs from all the melee...but the times where I see people gaining make me thing threat isn't going to scale as well as Blizzard might have intended.
Amarant_Pally
 
Posts: 631
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 2:53 pm

Next

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
?php } else { ?