Favorite Naxx Fights?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Favorite Naxx Fights?

Postby Jasari » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:04 pm

Just finished first clear last night and I have to say it's a pretty fun raid instance. What are some of your favorite fights?

I like:
4 Horseman - it's fun to have a fight that actually involves some coordination.
Thaddius - flying through the air is fun!
Kel'Thuzad - phase 1 has a fun feel to it. My one complaint is the randomness of his iceblocks and how it can fuck an OT in P3. We actually didn't have it happen to us, but I was scared all of P3 and kept repeating on vent "watch out for the OT getting iceblocked".
Jasari

Postby Panzerdin » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:26 pm

[10] or [25]?
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Zoltar » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:24 pm

Heigan. Love teabagging the corpses as I run by.
Zoltar

Postby Kelaan » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:36 pm

I was so worried I'd fuck up Heigan. After not only succeeding, but tanking him down after our MT died (and I think all but 1 healer?), it's now my favorite. ;)

Maexxna sucked; I couldn't get threat on spiders before they exploded outward. :(
Kelaan

Postby MrDuck » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:18 pm

Sapphiron..definitely, it has epic feeling. (and i like dragons)

I havent run all wings, missing thaddius and plague wing 'cept 1st boss to say i cleared naxx(guild did few runs w/o me, i got to takn frostwyrm lair after that), but even back in 1.11, when i was excited reading/watching vids from naxx, i knew i'm in love from the time i've seen sapphiron spawn. Now that i actually maintanked him a bit ago, it just felt good...kel'thizad is just boring so i fall asleep and die in fissure, on patchwerk i like that i get to actually dps as tank(and can sleep), other fights are somewhat fun, but none even remotely touches the epic feeling of sapphiron <3
MrDuck

Postby fuzzygeek » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:27 pm

Having a mage handy to frost nova the spiderlings is handy.

Until WotlK I'd survived Heigan a grand total of two times, after doing him many, many times in classic on my priest. Bringing up Heigan would make me unreasonably angry at Blizzard for designing a raid mechanic where latency, packet loss, and GPU processing hiccups would flat out kill you.

I've not died on Heigan since WotLK, but I still think it's dumb. Listening to people complain about dying when they're nowhere near the splashes, or seeing corpses in the middle of the safe areas, is still dumb.

I like fights where tanks have to coordinate with each other (I liked Gurtogg a lot). 4H is interesting, and the first fight we had to diagram out before we went in, instead of a 30 second precis followed by a steamroll.

The first time we 10'ed KT I actually did fall asleep and die in red swirly death (first night clear was slow, and we ran late).
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby BlueRaja » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:13 am

fuzzygeek wrote:Bringing up Heigan would make me unreasonably angry at Blizzard for designing a raid mechanic where latency, packet loss, and GPU processing hiccups would flat out kill you.

Wow. Really? I think it is my favorite fight...it takes coordiantion as well. Have not done a full clear yet. We are heading to Saph tomorrow, but i do really like the heigan dance!
BlueRaja

Postby Chunes » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:25 am

for [10], I find most of the fights to be pretty dull to be honest. However, doing them while trying to get the achievements is a freaking blast.

Safety Dance achievement makes heigan fun and challenging,

Arachnaphobia achievement makes all of spiderwing fun,

Momma Said knock you out is probably the only way we are going to do Grand widow now lawl (our healers are beasts btw, hairy, hairy beasts of amazing might).

Sapph w/ 2 healers and still getting the 100 club is funsauce

But probably my favorite of the night was the “Cant get enough” achievement on KT. Our group was hesitant to try it but I said screw it and just started exorcising aboms in the cubbies. After we lost count of the aboms I was tanking 5 when KT popped, druid picked him up and MT’ed for the fight, aboms went down and we were praying that after that headache we had actually killed 18 aboms. Luckily we did.

In other news we were racing the other 10man group through naxx and we raped them.

Finished an hour earlier and got like 5 more achievements than they did.

Kek.
Chunes

Postby Petrus » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:19 am

Favorites: 4H, Heigan, Thaddius

Sapph and KT are pretty fun too but those others really stick out. Tank-throws are fun and the Heigan dance is kind of amazing with Benny Hill playing in the background.
Petrus
Maintankadonor

Postby Lewid » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:19 pm

4H, Sapph for my favs

fuzzygeek wrote:where latency, packet loss, and GPU processing hiccups

My friend it sounds like you need a new video card and a new isp. =)
Lewid

Postby Kalakaua » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:11 pm

I would like Heigan, but more often than not, I end up with finger cramps from tanking him for 20 minutes after all the dps dies...

until we get better, it's my least favorite...
Kalakaua

Postby fuzzygeek » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:17 pm

Lewid wrote:My friend it sounds like you need a new video card and a new isp. =)

I haven't died since classic (granted, my current machine is also considerably beefier than my old machine), but it irritates me to no end that people in the raid who have computers a couple years old, or suffer with cable internet still drop dead on this fight.

It's been made considerably more forgiving than its previous incarnation, but it's still deeply stupid. If I wanted to play a platformer, I'd go play Super Mario Bros.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Fahsky » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:36 am

I like Heigan & Loatheb, as both are pretty easy on the tank. XD

I hate hate hate Grobbulus, because I'm either too fast or too slow on the kiting, and usually end up looking retarded when I get stuck on some random barrel backing up. Also do not like Instructor Raz, way too boring.

And is it just me, or do none of the bosses really stick out personality and/or mechanics-wise, like Karazhan? There's no life (no pun intended) to the place, like Kara with it's random little details like the organist in the theater, the Romeo & Juliet skeletons, Medivh's quarters, ect. I actually miss Kara after doing Naxx. lol
Fahsky

Postby mirkodeluxe » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:44 pm

I prefer fights that are hard on the tank. I like patchwerk since he hits fairly hard and I like maexxna because there I can be a bit creative with Bubblewall/trinket/indestruct pots.

Grobbulus is fun because it requires movement, but I have only offtanked so far.

Kel thuzad is just boring.. tank some trash, then wait for 3-4 minutes until adds spawn.. tank them - loot, instance over.

But really.. there is not one single fight in the game that rests on the MT's shoulders when decently geared(~50% naxx/badge gear).

Sapphiron was fun in 10-man btw, mostly because we didnt have the perfect setup and had to adapt and tune until we got him down. That is fun. 25 man was just lol - with half the raid down it actually got easier.
mirkodeluxe

Postby Fenira » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:01 pm

Patchwerk! <3
Fenira

Next

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon