[10] Kel'thuzad

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10] Kel'thuzad

Postby Ashmadai » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:52 am

So we spent about 6 total hours in Naxx this week, our first week since getting everybody to 80. One shotted basically everything, including Sapphiron with only Frost Resist Aura and 2 healers(Way easier than I've heard or I predicted)

So last night we spent our last 20 minutes of raid time checking out Kel'thuzad, though none of us had really studied the strat. We had no problems whatsoever, until he started Frost Blasting people and putting them in those ice blocks. It seems like a Winterchill type thing where you have to immediately start healing the people that get them. There doesn't seem to be a good amount of raid warning from big wigs or the game to let you know they're happening though.

I tried bubbling out of one and it did not work also, so that sucks. Any tips for how to make these a bit easier on the healers, or is it pretty much just pay attention and start fast heals as soon as somebody gets in one?

Thanks for the help!
Ashmadai

Postby Chunes » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:09 am

his nova hits for not that much, so just heal through it.

make sure your healers are awake and paying attention to who gets iceblocked, they are easily healed through.

get a rogue or two on kel w/ priority to kick his main FB cast. it's 10k damage your tank should never have to take, thus further relieving your healers to only panic about the abovementioned raid damage.
Chunes

Postby Belloc » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:22 am

You'll probably want 3 healers for Kel'thuzad. Those ice blocks deal 104% damage to the target. So, unless it's a tank, a single heal is usually enough (bare-minimum) to keep them alive. They'll need to be topped off, of course.

Also, the effect chains to targets within 10 yards. So, if both of your healers are next to each other, you're going to wipe. Everyone needs to spread out.
Belloc

Postby Ashmadai » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:49 am

Yeah, we would've had 3 healers but one of our regulars didn't show up. I think it's just going to be a matter of the healers being ready to react and start a fast heal on the person in the ice block. People were dying pretty fast to them.

Our interrupts were not interrupting enough of the Frostbolts. The other tank who was tanking made the mistake of being like "Ah man these only hit for like 8k" which of course made the DPS think they didn't need to be interrupting heavily. Of course they should be still because it will free up the healers to focus on the ice block targets.
Ashmadai

Postby Claydon » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:26 am

we have done this a few times and found a pretty easy way.

make sure all ranged are spread more than 10 yards from each other with healers splitting them so all can be reached if they get iceblocked.

melee at kelthuzads back corners. splitting them up evenly on either side. this puts them 10 yards from the tank and 10 yards from each other.

if you have a shaman healer make them watch for the ice block on the melee and then chain heal them asap. thwe chain heal + the bounce is enough to keep them alive during the ice block.

just make sure the heals are fast as i think you only have a 4 sec window to heal.

obviously any healer with a group heal can do this, we just found chain heal to be very effective.
Claydon

Postby verthis » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:14 am

Got this guy last night for the first time, no interrupters and our dps was severely lacking, healers had no problem healing the frost bolt damage and the melee damage, problem came at 45% when the adds came. Add tank went down in seconds, he was uncrittable with about 30k buffed hp, think the healers were sleeping. 0 battle rezz available as the melee dps could not grasp the fissure effect and kept dying.

I ended up tanking both adds and the boss from 45% to 0% and with the slack dps this was quite a challenge. Took just over 3 minutes to get the boss down after adds spawned. Healers woke up about the time the add tank went down so they were quick on the heals even with the huge damage I was taking towards the end of the fight.

I ended the fight with around 2200 dps and top damage on the boss lol…… once our dps get there act in gear and stop sleeping on the job im sure it will be a lot easier but overall not to difficult a fight if everyone is paying attention.

Here is the wws for the evening. Slack dps imo, ill have to have some strong words with them. :D

http://wowwebstats.com/wql25zy2epcpm
verthis

Postby Zumor » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:47 am

we killed him in the second try, odd kill =)
the other tank tanked him, died in the red circle ("DIDNT SEE IT; PROMISE"screams xD)
had to tank him, and his adds
Battlerezz was not ready, I had to keep the adds and Kelthuzad with me, they grew larger and larger, to the point I couldnt see anything on my screen, it was awsome xD
Zumor

Postby BlueRaja » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:44 pm

Zumor wrote:I had to keep the adds and Kelthuzad with me, they grew larger and larger, to the point I couldnt see anything on my screen, it was awsome xD

That is funny!!! :lol:

But i know what you mean...
BlueRaja

Postby Lightbreak » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:30 pm

We use Deadly Boss Mods and have it set to broadcast to the raid.

It will give you a clear warning with names listed in order as soon as people get hit.

Remember anyone withing a 10? yard range of the targeted player will also get frozen. So you should spread out and never have more than 2 people at a time frozen. You might have to adjust your raid comp if a problem persists. (trade a melee for a range.) And specifically make sure your healers are NOT next to each other!

After we assigned healing - Healer #1 immediately heal first person listed and so on. It ceased being a problem. The blocks do 104% of the targets HP so a couple quick heals will save them.
Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow. - Aesop
Lightbreak

Postby Lousiana » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:21 pm

Ashmadai wrote:Our interrupts were not interrupting enough of the Frostbolts.

[10] there are no Frostbolts you can interrupt. Those which are proccing Ice Blocks are instant casts - thus not interruptable. Telling your Rogues oder ranged DPS to try interrupting them is a waste of DPS.

only in [25] he casts a Frost Bolt with ~2 seconds of cast time, which can and must be interrupted because it deals a lot more damage than the instant one.
Lousiana

Postby Chunes » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:38 pm

Lousiana wrote:

[10] there are no Frostbolts you can interrupt. Those which are proccing Ice Blocks are instant casts - thus not interruptable. Telling your Rogues oder ranged DPS to try interrupting them is a waste of DPS.

only in [25] he casts a Frost Bolt with ~2 seconds of cast time, which can and must be interrupted because it deals a lot more damage than the instant one.

You're incorrect. You can interrupt his 10k fb in 10man.

unless they changed it between last week and this week, which i doubt they did.
Chunes

Postby Lewid » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:43 pm

verthis wrote: Add tank went down in seconds, he was uncrittable with about 30k buffed hp, think the healers were sleeping. 0 battle rezz available as the melee dps could not grasp the fissure effect and kept dying.

What probably happened was that he was standing in one of those void zones that do a 30k burst, in seconds.

The adds hit me for around 900, which should mean, with bad luck and no healing you'll still be able to live for a half minute or so.

First time tanking them I got put in one of the voids, I couldnt see it very clearly due to the huge size of those anub-eqsue like adds.

The only really hard part is having healers who are on the ball.
Lewid

Postby Lousiana » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:57 am

Chunes wrote:
Lousiana wrote:

You're incorrect. You can interrupt his 10k fb in 10man.

unless they changed it between last week and this week, which i doubt they did.

You are right, I was misstaken. We just don't interrupt them at all because healers are capable to heal through.
Lousiana

Postby Ashmadai » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:51 am

I'm sure your healers are capable of healing your tanks even if they took their shields off too. Does that make it a good idea?

His frostbolts should be interrupted. Seriously, it cracks me up when I see people be like "It does extra damage but we can heal through it." It's easily avoidable damage to your tank, which means your healers can worry less about the tank and more about healing the frost blast targets.
Ashmadai

Postby gwayne » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:58 am

Ashmadai wrote:I'm sure your healers are capable of healing your tanks even if they took their shields off too. Does that make it a good idea?

For the purposes of fun or efficiency? :P
Gwayne
<CTSamurai>
Neptulon-EU
gwayne

Next

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon