[25] Gluth - Kiting Adds

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[25] Gluth - Kiting Adds

Postby Amarant_Pally » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:46 am

So after our first two (pretty fail) attempts at Gluth, officers decided the Hunters shouldn't kite. Prot-Warrior tanking Gluth with me said he'd kite them if DK went tanky. I laughed to myself, wondering how he'd do it, but was open to his optimism.

About 2 minutes later, after all buffs had gone out, I hear on vent, "And Vyndrian is kiting adds," to which I think "Ohhh I didn't sign up for this crap."

Successfully kited 2.5 rounds of adds with a mix of Consecrate, Avenger's Shield, Exorcism, and Holy Wrath (bubble walled once; I blame it on the poor Earth Bind Totem placement, to which I get to oversee next time) for a win. It was a nice change of pace to having the mobs face in my face, and quite fun.

Anyhoo, if anyone else's current kiter's kinda...suck...and the option is open for you to try, it's totally doable. :)
Amarant_Pally

Postby mirkodeluxe » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:52 am

Dont waste hunter dps on add kiting, that's a tank's job.

Tankadins are especially good for this since we have instant undead aoe, multitarget taunt, AS and holy cleave.

Hunters put down frosttraps, shammies earthbind and then you kite as best you can. If they close up on you too much - use Holy wrath, but try to save it until decimate.

I got gibbed yesterday, but my brother (also protpala) was there aswell.. piece of cake.
mirkodeluxe

Postby Lightbreak » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:30 am

We have a DK kite the adds with assistance of hunter trap + earthbind.
Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow. - Aesop
Lightbreak

Postby OntetheProt » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:35 am

We use two paladins, Ret/Prot. One paladin starts running (in a big circle right behind where your raid should be sitting) first then when he is halfway the other starts. SO at any one time there is a paladin to consecrate on either of the grates. Pick up stragglers with taunt. We just did it the same way we did it in the old school version.

=win.
OntetheProt

Postby Chunes » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:43 am

our raid was pretty shortbus as far as snares/slows, So i just ended up tanking them -_-

99 stacks of their little debuf = 3k/hit and bubble does not remove it.

Nevertheless, still got it done and they still didn't gib me so I imagine we'll just tank them next time.
Chunes

Postby Belloc » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:54 pm

Chunes wrote:our raid was pretty shortbus as far as snares/slows, So i just ended up tanking them -_-

Nevertheless, still got it done and they still didn't gib me so I imagine we'll just tank them next time.

3k per hit with... 10+ of them attacking you before decimate? Avoidance and blocking will mitigate it, of course, but that's a ton of damage.
Belloc

Postby Valsh » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:19 pm

I kited these adds once, was a piece of cake. Use Holy wrath at key points and get the ranged DPS/Healers to stand on top of each other as a focus point.
Valsh

Postby Chunes » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:32 pm

Belloc wrote:
Chunes wrote:our raid was pretty shortbus as far as snares/slows, So i just ended up tanking them -_-

3k per hit with... 10+ of them attacking you before decimate? Avoidance and blocking will mitigate it, of course, but that's a ton of damage.

yeah it certainly was. Never the less as soon as decimate happens they all just bee-line for gluth so them delivering the coups-de-grace was not really my worry. on the 2nd wave of zombies we had another offtank grab and wrangle them with me, so the healing load was not as heavy.

(we were running w/ 4 tanks just because we didnt not have enough dps to fill the spots. wierd huh?)
Chunes

Postby Tacoshell » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:25 pm

What works really well is putting JoL on Gluth while you kite, that threat draws the adds towards you very nicely.
Tacoshell-70 Protection Paladin-Smolderthorn
Tacoshell

Postby Akairos » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:58 pm

In my experiences with Gluth, the way that works best for me is a paladin/resto shaman combo.

Shaman in the back places his earthbind totem and heals you in case you get hit, and can shock an add in a pinch and you can taunt it off him in case you are you of range in which to get the add.
Akairos

Postby Ritzu » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:15 am

So yeah... I do this but I am like retarded at it. I feel like the main problem is that my raid just won't stack and there are people EVERYWHERE, so I can't always see the adds... then I don't really have a frost trap/ earthbind, though mages will sometimes frost nova (but in rather inconvenient areas).

I try to stay in the back but then there are ranged everywhere in the back, then the whole trying to kite thing just gets hard since if I'm near one end then an add spawns near the other (which I can hardly see) and just charges some ret pally (since they judge light) I can barely get to it...

Sometimes a hunter will frost trap, but again, the raid doesn't stack so zombies are everywhere, never near the frost trap, chasing random people and everyone is running around >.<

I don't know if it is the fact that my raid cannot stay still in a set position or if I just need to do something different? Perhaps I am somehow making my kiting like circles too wide?

It also doesn't help that without slow I'm either "kiting" where I have tons of zombies hitting me in the back (save those 2s when holy wrath is up) or backpedaling... This is probably the most frustrating encounter for me next to Patchwerk... Suggestions?
Ritzu

Postby Base » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:11 am

What I do is get everyone to stack up behind the boss and basically run around in a circle between the dps spot and the grate, dropping consecrate on the dps and exorcism/judging zombies as they spawn.

Hunters drop slowing traps and shammies earthbind, but other than that all dps focus on the boss. A few seconds before decimate, I take them all to the back of the room and hit holy wrath, then they all walk to the boss in a nice single group ready for the dps to nuke them down.
Base

Postby majiben » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:40 am

We kited them in 25 mans with 1 holy paladin, 1 ret paladin (me) and 1 DK. I'm sure we could have 2 maned it if I was specced prot and I had a decent FPS in 25 mans. AS makes a huge difference when picking up straglers and even slowing front runners when he decimates.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Belloc » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:27 am

What worked best for me was to put hunters on the side grates. The hunters grab all the spawns on their side and kite them through their trap. I run to their sides (since adds never seem to spawn from the middle grate?) and grab spawns that they miss and I taunt and AS their other mobs. So, in the end, I've got most of the adds on me and two hunter traps plus an earthbind in the middle to kite the adds along. The point of me taunting is to keep the hunters alive. This also lets me bunch all of the mobs up prior to the decimate, instead of having 2-3 clumps of adds coming at the boss.

And if I die, we wipe.
Belloc

Postby Playdoh » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:19 am

I have a couple of dps tag them lightly and bring them to where I concecrate as I am kiting them.

hunters are especially good at quick shots and movement.

and as long as they don't go over zealous on shots, concecrate is enough to pick them back up.

And of course i use all the other goodies we have too.

And I try to save Holy Wrath for decimate as well.

But yes a paladin here makes this fight SOOOO much easier.
Playdoh
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon