Remove Advertisements

[10] Grobbulus

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby Chunes » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:00 pm

I love your ascii splug.

I have had success just dragging him parallel to the wall with the raid standing back at an angle (i.e. not perpendicular to my kite line, but at an obtuse angle).

Sure it's not as elegant as illidan flamecrash movements like what splug is modeling, but it got the job done just fine for us and so long as i was backpeddling and not strafing too much, old grobby would not have much issue w/ figuring out where to put himself after latency accurately reported my position to teh server.

I also have a comp/connection that seems to exacerbate mob positioning AI, and my kite method worked just fine.
Chunes

Postby Targonis » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:31 pm

If your group has a hard time moving to Splug's diagram you can briefly stop at each corner and wait for him to "throw up" on you generating one slime before you move him again... the important part about this is you need to be watching for him to drop a cloud if you stop.
Targonis

Postby unboundarea52 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:57 pm

Very frustrating encounter for me.

Do I think it's overtuned? Maybe a little, but it's probably fine in the long run.

Do I think the "Your DPS is too low" arguement is viable here? No. Patchwerk is more a DPS race than this guy. We dont lose because of lack of DPS, we lose because of people freaking out.

This encounter has a VERY small margin of error once you enter the 30% window. Sadly some of the people in our group keep getting retarded on me and wiping us out.

Ahh well they'll get it sometime soon I hope. Getting sick of wiping on him. Just annoying when we practically one shot everything in here (Haigan aside). Haigans dance was a quick learn for people though.
Unbound - Area 52
Prot Pally
unboundarea52

Postby Kayoto » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:56 pm

We just one-shot Grob tonight (dropped some of the pugs for better players, etc.).

Then proceeded to stomp all over the remaining bosses (the rest of construct wing and then Sapph/KT) and Grobbulus is definitely the hardest boss in all of Naxx-10.

I just think for its placement in the instance, the encounter is overtuned. I cleared Sunwell pre-3.0, so I appreciate challenging fights, but it's still not of the appropriate difficulty for the instance.

Of course it'll just become easier and easier as DPS gear up/improve, and you'll be able to tolerate a single DPS dying without wiping, etc. but it requires too much coordination and precision from a 10-man group, considering how easy the rest of the instance is.

The other factor that bothers me is how much easier it is for a 25 man raid than a 10 man raid. I know that the current trend is showing that 10 man versions of the instances are harder than the 25 mans in a lot of cases, but I don't think the discrepancy between the two versions of any particular raid encounter should be THAT vast.
Kayoto

Postby Nexty » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:28 am

My guild has run into the same problem. 10 or so wipes to Grob before we decided to call it and went and burned down the Wintergrasp boss.

Great tips in this thread. I just checked and one of our pally healers has Pure of Heart which explains how he kept dropping bombs on the raid. The walking tip will help a lot on our next attempt too.

We also had a problem with one of our hunters not being able to see the clouds. First 5 wipes he'd die within seconds of running away from the raid after being injected. So, same thing here as with Nightbane in kara. Drop a conc and make sure everyone can see it. If they can't they have their spell detail set too low.

I was on slime duty. Those things are annoying to move around. Gave me such a hard time to get them in front of me. Not to mention having to run myself and a slime or two through the raid to get to a safe spot in time. :-/
Nexty

Postby Samilyn » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:45 pm

You don't have to have spell detail high enough to see consecration. Having it just below that, at around 30% spell detail I found is just fine. That level seemed to work well for other people having similar issues in our raids. It's a valid comparison to Nightbane though, some people can do it with 0 spell detail while others require a more obvious spell effect to see it well.

Like some other posters we spent 7 or 8 wipes before we got him down, mostly people figuring out where to run when they got the disease. Also getting caught in a corner sucked; there's enough room to basically avoid them in a kite path. He doesn't seem over tuned, the encounter just requires an unfamiliar strategy which almost always lead to wipes as people learn it.
Samilyn

Postby Poneress » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:48 pm

This guy can be a HUGE pain in the butt, specially with a grp of full Melee. (Only 1 ranged caster)

My group comp compsed of:

Pally Tank (Me) Warrior Tank. Both with 30k HP
2 Druid Healers (1700+) and a Priest with 1800+
DK/2Rogues/1Mage

I'd wait for him to stop in the middle and start the fight there. Face him West and wait for the first Cloud to apear, Once it did I back up 15 yards or so. Once the slimes popped (Btw, there should only ALWAYS be ONE Slime spawning per time, if there is more then one, then your DPS is being stupid the slimes appear due to ppl in front of his slime spray) Anyways, once they popped, I tanked them the entire raid, They only hit for 1k and 600 every few seconds. I wouldn't even have the raid kill them i'd kill them while kitting the boss.

The main issue that killed us (and i'm assuming grps) is the damn Melee specially sitting in the freaking Gas Clouds for no reason. AND OR the ppl with the injection running and blowing up there own cloud in a really stupid place.

If your DPS stays the HELL Outta the clouds (Which hits for 2k per freaking second) and you "Blow up" the injections somewhere relatively safe, then fight is REALLY EASY. But apparently my grp last night doesn't know about cooridnation -_-..

SIGNED PISSED OFF PALLY! :D

Oh, btw, on 4/6 attempts we had him to 3% or lower. ONE Of the times we had him at 273 hp...yes two hundred and seventy three HP -_-. Talk about iritation!!!!!!
Poneress

Postby Pallypete » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:32 pm

We did him last night, and I had the same problem at first, I'd move backwards, he'd follow me, then a second after making contact with me he'd turn around and reposition, sometimes spraying the raid. I found the trick is to back up, then the second he comes into contact with you just take another step backwards and he won't move. Just tap the down arrow and it should stop him from repositioning himself.
Pallypete

Postby Prætorian » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:39 pm

It's been plaguing the AI for years... there are tricks to avoid it.

But to just simplify it.. just put on walk, and go backwards.. Nonstop backwards almost seems too fast.. honestly I time it with my global cooldowns.. Walk while the cooldown is going, stop, cast, walk, repeat while speeding up around the corners which I've seen him spray others the most.

And yeah.. he takes a while to learn.
Prætorian of Detheroc, lvl 80..
Prætorian

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:45 pm

I've had so many wipes on Grobbulus I don't even know what to do anymore. It seems like just a general lack of DPS but why on earth should he be more of a dps race than Patchwerk??? I don't get it.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:47 pm

Sabindeus wrote:I've had so many wipes on Grobbulus I don't even know what to do anymore. It seems like just a general lack of DPS but why on earth should he be more of a dps race than Patchwerk??? I don't get it.

Are your DPS dying?
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:25 pm

Fridmarr wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:I've had so many wipes on Grobbulus I don't even know what to do anymore. It seems like just a general lack of DPS but why on earth should he be more of a dps race than Patchwerk??? I don't get it.

Are your DPS dying?

Mostly they are just running back and forth between slimes and diseases. On a lot of our attempts, the top two Damage Out for the fight were me and my OT.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby omnomlets » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:21 pm

Someone's doing something wrong then. I backpedal off and on throughout the fight, DPS is told to go "blow up" somewhere safe - the reccomendation we give is "go to where grobbulus was 15 seconds ago" and we wiped once because of abolish disease curing a disease in the middle of the raid :(
omnomlets

Postby Kayoto » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:51 pm

Sabindeus wrote:On a lot of our attempts, the top two Damage Out for the fight were me and my OT.

I have yet to see a Grobbulus attempt/fight where I have not topped the meter.
Kayoto

Postby Poneress » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:14 am

omnomlets wrote:Someone's doing something wrong then. I backpedal off and on throughout the fight, DPS is told to go "blow up" somewhere safe - the reccomendation we give is "go to where grobbulus was 15 seconds ago" and we wiped once because of abolish disease curing a disease in the middle of the raid :(

Amen to that, I tried to explain that to the ppl in the raid SO many times, and I cannot stress how many times the melee would for some reason run BEHIND ME Where I was going to be running soon!

IMO, 1 thing that should be considered to keep it easier for ar-tards, is to simple get some Ranged DPS in your grp, all they have to do is run a few seconds behind you (or clouds behind you)

Next time I goto Naxx, and attempt this boss, I'm DEF going to bring more ranged.
Poneress

PreviousNext

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon