[25]OS-Hard Mode

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[25]OS-Hard Mode

Postby Joanadark » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:39 am

This encounter reminds me of pre-nerf Muru in many ways.
Really cool and challenging fight, that pretty much rellys on perfect execution by everybody.

Anyone else had a chance to do this?
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Pelendralaar » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:15 pm

Our guild is trying to do this, because it is the only real challenge in the game at this time, well 10man with 3 up as well.

I get the awesome job of picking up fire elementals. IMO that is a bigger PITA than anything else in the fight.

They seem to spawn anywhere. I'd like to believe there is a specific mechanic to them spawning. Does anyone else have any thoughts or insight on this?
Pelendralaar

Postby Ossuary » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:45 pm

From what i can gather from the front of Sartharion, the fire spawns seem to spawn from the fire bombs that frequently fall from the sky.
Ossuary

Postby Belloc » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:21 pm

Ossuary wrote:From what i can gather from the front of Sartharion, the fire spawns seem to spawn from the fire bombs that frequently fall from the sky.

That's what I noticed as well... except they don't spawn from every bomb drop.
Belloc

Postby Markoh » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:34 pm

Ya its definitely from the fire bombs, the only real question is why do some spawn and some don't. I think there are 2 diff types, one meant as raid dmg that don't spawn and one that is to spawn the lava guys. Sometimes they spawn in the lava too so you have to be careful.

If I'm in for it this week I'll try and watch and see if I notice anything. I think though that if a firebomb doesn't hit someone then it will generally have a elemental.
Markoh

Postby Taragon » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:40 am

Trying 3 drakes for 4 hours tonight as an firespawn/whelp tank and I have to agree it's a major PITA To get every spawn every time (not enough globals not to mention a bad consecrate timed before the whelps come form the portal dimension and they spread out in 4 directions.)

Eventually I was moved to the 2nd drake tank while one of my guild's deathknights tried to do the same than and ran into the exact same problem with the majority of adds. For comparisons sake, Imagine tanking felmyst adds with every add spawning at a random X and Y coordinate. Toss in Void zones, Fire bombs, Flame waves and 3 breaths, a cleave and a tail swipe to avoid and you have yourself one hell of a learning curve.

Any Paladins here with experience as a minor add tank (not drake)?
Taragon - Ex-Maintankadin of Insomnia

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &n=Taragon
Taragon

Postby Joanadark » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:39 am

we are working on it using 5 tanks.

1 for sarth, 1 for tenebron, 1 to hold shadron after he comes down for the few seconds before we are able to kill off tenebron and free up that tank who then helms on blazes, 1 to go down portals, and 1 for blazes/whelps.

3 warriors, a DK, and a feral.

We also found that one of the holy paladins healing with RF up helps a great deal for making picking up adds easier.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby dmok » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:24 am

Joanadark wrote:We also found that one of the holy paladins healing with RF up helps a great deal for making picking up adds easier.

This has always been one of my favourite ways to get adds rounded up for an easy pickup. Consecrate can quickly generate more threat than the heals and it means alot less chasing down adds.

(not referring to this specific fight, since we have not attempted any hardmode raids yet, but in reference to previous encounters)
There ain't no pirate like a Mead Hall Pirate

Mead Hall Pirates - The Scryers US
Dmor: 80 Prot Paladin | Dmok: 80 MM Hunter | Dmos: 80 Disc Priest | Dmoz: 80 Unholy DK
dmok

Re: [25]OS-Hard Mode

Postby Splug » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:13 am

Joanadark wrote:This encounter reminds me of pre-nerf Muru in many ways.
Two drakes feels a lot like post-nerf Muru. It doesn't seem that bad, but a couple people standing in void zones and before you know it the raid blows up.

We poked at the three-drake version last week for a bit and decided to work our way up to it rather than starting there. Removing Shadron makes such a huge difference to the fight though that I'm not sure how much learning we'll get in; just the fact that we should never have two drakes up is a huge simplification on things, and loosens the effective enrage timer significantly.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Joanadark » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:30 pm

Plus Shadron's debuff is the worst of the three, and removing it pretty much cuts the difficulty of the encounter in half.
Joanadark

Postby Pelendralaar » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:31 pm

We're using 4 tanks and 7 healers
-warrior on Sartharion
-druid on Drakes
-Death Knight on Adds and port guys
-Paladin (me) on Adds

We will be dropping 1 healer for an additional dps and that should put us over the top for dps to get Tenebron down right as Shadron comes in; so long as no one dies to lava wall and void zones.

We might try having the DK tanking Sartharion for more breath mitigation and the warrior helping me with adds and tanking the Acolytes.
Pelendralaar

Postby PsiVen » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:16 pm

We're using 4 tanks and 5 healers right now, 90% of raid deaths are due to void zone / firewall failure and blaze aggro.

I agree, add duty on this fight is brutal. It's worse than KJ in terms of nigh-invisible mobs that need to be picked up immediately with a spread-out raid.

I feel like we're missing something, because apart from mass failure at those sorts of things our Sarth tank keeps getting gibbed by impossible breaths (35-60k range). We've tried swapping tanks around midfight, rotating the Sarth tank with the one in the Twilight, and we always have the first add dead before the second one gets in.

I'm just not seeing how this works. I keep hearing that you need to swap tanks and take portals to reset the shadow debuff but there isn't one, except for the aura from the mobs you kill in the twilight.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Joanadark » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:39 pm

I feel like we're missing something, because apart from mass failure at those sorts of things our Sarth tank keeps getting gibbed by impossible breaths (35-60k range).

We're countering that with Disc Priest PW:Ss, and every paladin in the raid having Sacred Shield on the tank.
All that stuff combined absorbs a rediculous amount of damage, making breaths survivable, if barely.

Remember each drake that you kill increases Sarths damage and haste by 25%. I've heard of some strats where the second and last drake are both killed off at the same time because of this. Thats about as far as we can get atm.

Note that Whelps exist below in portals, so a whelp tank can take portals with impunity, but blaze do not and will deaggro a tank who takes a portal.
Joanadark

Postby Taragon » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:07 am

PsiVen wrote:I'm just not seeing how this works. I keep hearing that you need to swap tanks and take portals to reset the shadow debuff but there isn't one, except for the aura from the mobs you kill in the twilight.

You end up having to Rotate saves on the tank when there is one or two protal adds up.

Bone shield-> AMS -> GS -> Bubble/Sacrifice ->shield wall -> pain supression

Also, What we're doing is getting one portal add low via melee and then waiting till the other one spawns then kill the first one. so there is a very small window when 2 portal adds are up.
Taragon - Ex-Maintankadin of Insomnia

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &n=Taragon
Taragon

Postby thomase » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:09 am

bm hunters are looking to do a pet *intervene* as well for us.

atm, it was me on Sarth druid on tene and two DK tanks. One for the adds, one for the portal elites below.

I really wish we had more 80s atm, it was always *that guy* dying to lava wave.

Otherwise the tanking was pretty easy other then flame breath gibs he hits like a nancy boy. It was pretty manageble with FR aura though (most often 25% - 50% reduction).

Then again we didn't get down the second dragon ;<
thomase

Next

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon