Remove Advertisements

[25] 4H question - zerging Thane?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[25] 4H question - zerging Thane?

Postby knaughty » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:29 pm

We did 10-man the hard way, and nearly got the "all die at once" achievement by accident.

Looking to do 25-man the easy way tonight.

If we go with minimal numbers on the other three bosses, bloodlust 5 seconds in and put a dozen DPS on Thane, how fast can you kill him?
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Panzerdin » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:50 am

Kor'Thaz has 2.4M HP, so with the burst DPS by Bloodlust you should be able to take him down fairly fast. Since I don't play, I don't know HOW fast.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Promdates » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:24 pm

There is a strat that involves putting all dps on Thane, and bursting him down fast in 3-4 stacks. We might try it this upoming week, to allow for us to not have to worry about moving and taunting.
Promdates

Postby knaughty » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:38 pm

We tried it, and couldn't do it.

Was a lowish DPS raid (lots of fresh 80s) and we could get him down to ~20% by late in stack 3 with almost available DPS on him and bloodlust 5 -10 seconds in. Had two reserve hunters with me on Rivendare to soak meteors in case he didn't die. We also had three ranged on caster side to do their normal transitions.

If you fully committed, with every single DPS bar the two tanks caster side, I think it would be doable, just barely, for an ungeared progression attempt.

Just be aware you're going to wipe if he doesn't die before 4th stack, or really soon after it. I guess the Rivendare tank can bubblewall the 5th mark they're going to get if it takes you 4 to kill thane.

Execution post zerg, with the raid having to scatter to cover tanking duties elsewhere is almost as hard as just doing it the normal way anyway.

Once you have a fortnight's Naxx-25 gear, yeah, just kill Thane, then Rivendare, then the casters.
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Postby knaughty » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:27 pm

Just a note: Setting up minimum "transition teams" for a normal rotation, then stacking all spare DPS on Thane is definitely a good strat even if you can't zerg him down before first taunt rotation.

Expect to get him under 30% by third mark and tank swap (wtih BL at the start). Taunt swap once, huge-ass pile of DPS beat on Rivendare a while.

Tank swap back.

Kill Thane.

Only two melee swaps required.
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Postby Mex » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:32 pm

We had our first 25 man Naxx raid on Wed night. We'd done plague and 3/4 abom (rehabs on thaddius) the week before, but didnt have any priests for spider/DK, we'd also run two 10 man groups through naxx and sarth the week before, and the week before that (first week after release) we did spider wing + sarth with a single 10 man. Rest of our gear was T6/SWP or heroic gear on the rerolls.

Thane was on 4% when his 4th mark hit, we had no trouble meeting the DPS requirement at all.

We did have every single DPS, except for a single prot warrior (who was sitting with our DC prone feral druid on Rivendare), on Thane though. We use healers to tank up the back, a holy priest spamming binding heal, and a holy pally with beacon of light, and a resto druid on the platform rolling hots on both. We had 6 healers total.

So total 16 DPS plus a tank (me) on Thane. I popped wings off the bat and came 10th on DPS on him, so effectively 17 DPS :P It's doable, but you just have to put all your eggs in one basket. If you lollygag around and put DPS with Rivendare to soak meteor "just in case", or use them up the back to "tank" then you'll likely end up having to swap anyway. If you burn hard, you should be fine.
Mex

Postby Lousiana » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:46 am

Knaughty wrote:Just a note: Setting up minimum "transition teams" for a normal rotation, then stacking all spare DPS on Thane is definitely a good strat even if you can't zerg him down before first taunt rotation.

Expect to get him under 30% by third mark and tank swap (wtih BL at the start). Taunt swap once, huge-ass pile of DPS beat on Rivendare a while.

Tank swap back.

Kill Thane.

Only two melee swaps required.

We are using exact same strategy for 10 man as well. Works fine.
Lousiana

Postby enbee » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:11 am

We did it last night, he died as mark3 landed, then we continued to do the same on rivendare/the chick on the top left, then afked for 5 mins till zeliek died, it's perfectly possible with minimum naxx gear, just commit all possible dps.
LoL, a paladin tank!
enbee

Postby Worldie » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:57 am

Also most of the raid can survive 5 stacks of the mark.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Markoh » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:02 am

Most people in raids will have about 20K hp when buffed as long as they aren't in bc gear. If you have decent raid healers you should be able to heal through the 4 marks easy and probably a fifth.
Markoh

Postby Morganim » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:41 am

Working on this atm and dps on thane is an absolute joke its so easy.

But has anyone had a problem with people DCing when marks hit, because we have 5 or 6 doing it every attempt
Morganim

Postby Lousiana » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:43 pm

Morganim wrote:Working on this atm and dps on thane is an absolute joke its so easy.

But has anyone had a problem with people DCing when marks hit, because we have 5 or 6 doing it every attempt

I can confirm that. We downed them on 2nd try. First try we had some weird DCs.

Zerging Thane in 25-man proofed to be a good strategy.

The big problem is not the two melee ones but to make sure everyone in raid knows how to act at the ones who are tanked by ranged DPS. We used two Warlocks for tanking them.
Lousiana

Postby Worldie » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:16 am

We use prot pala + prot war for the caster adds, and prot pala + DK for melee adds.

Actually going for DK + prot war for caster and 2x prot pala on melee when patch 3.0.4 hits. It's just easier to heal people with 30k+ HP than casters ;) and spellreflect = op.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Lousiana » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:33 am

Never touch a running system I guess.

Just want to add that when you have finaly 25 Level 80s to raid Naxx25, Survivability of Warlocks with Demon Armor and Drain Life is maybe better than Survivability of undergeared tanks.

Also, when you zerg Horseman by Horseman, after the melee ones are down, ranged DPS at max range doesn't take marks, while Camp-Healers shouldn't take marks at all after 2 Horsemen are down.
Lousiana

Postby Janduin » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:35 am

Worldie wrote:We use prot pala + prot war for the caster adds, and prot pala + DK for melee adds.

Actually going for DK + prot war for caster and 2x prot pala on melee when patch 3.0.4 hits. It's just easier to heal people with 30k+ HP than casters ;) and spellreflect = op.

What relevant things are changing in 3.0.4? Do we know how much additional stamina we are getting?
Last edited by Janduin on Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Janduin

Next

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon