[10/25] How To: Naxxramas

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby Panzerdin » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:30 pm

As you correctly state, I'm not mentioning them.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Kelaan » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:27 pm

To concur: We wiped several times trying to kite. We had a warrior tank who would start running (but had lag?), he'd try intervening a friendly martyr^Wvolunteer, no luck. Eventually, our healers said "let's just heal through it...", and they did. I'd throw on HoSac and shield for him, too.

When I tanked it that way on 10man, Sacred Shield made the initial damage seem negligible. The spike went up very fast near the end, though,hehe, and I ate a healthstone and I think a potion. Certainly panic-time, hehe.

Incidentally, Hand of Sacrifice on the MT while Maexxna does a frenzied web spraw == death. :( But, better than a dead MT, hehe. Next time, I'll burn bubble beforehand, I think.
Kelaan

Postby anerak » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:53 am

tanked 25-man KT last night for the first time, never had done 10 man either. my biggest trouble (after the healers realized that the frostbolts were hitting for 17-24k and i dont think anyone told the dps to interrupt) is every time he MCs, he wipes threat completely. so i'd taunt when he looks away, he'd turn back to me, turn away, taunt, me, away, screwed cuz i'm out of taunts. i'd be losing 1-2 dps per MC b/c of this. it's embarassing and frustrating.

i feel part of it is the taunt mechanic of righteous defense. should i be using it first instead of 2nd so the first dps who gets aggro, if he turns from me a 2nd time, RD is still working?

any suggestions? :?

I lurk.
anerak

Postby Wolvar » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:13 am

If you are doing a 969 rotation, you have consecrate and SOV ticking on the mob. RD followed by AS and Exorcism should ensure his full attention and your continued threat lead.
Wolvar

Postby Panzerdin » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:34 pm

Try to save Shield and Hammer as you approach an MC, and whack them right after.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Veilan » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:43 pm

Just so I'm getting the numbers right - 2 tanks - around 6 healers - rest DDs for Naxx25?
Ythalaine - Die Aldor EU
Veilan

Postby Belloc » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:12 am

Veilan wrote:Just so I'm getting the numbers right - 2 tanks - around 6 healers - rest DDs for Naxx25?

If it's your first time, 3 tanks (for Patchwerk, Gluth, and Kel'Thuzad. Plus it makes Gothik and Noth easier).

6 Healers is fine, but try to have a DPS that can toss some out on occasion, if necessary.
Belloc

Postby kenshin648 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:29 pm

You can probably change the 4 horsemen thing a bit since we now have the single target taunt...as long as it hits i mean.
Give me blood
kenshin648

Postby Chivalry » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:10 am

Please, please change the Patchwerk info.

I was about to quit reading when I saw the piece about the "highest HP in melee" thingy and dipping the melee in slime.

The Hateful Strike mechanic has, in fact, NEVER worked that way. I can't imagine how that misconception has lived through all the time since vanilla WoW. :evil:
Chivalry

Postby amh » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:38 am

Chivalry wrote:Please, please change the Patchwerk info.

I was about to quit reading when I saw the piece about the "highest HP in melee" thingy and dipping the melee in slime.

The Hateful Strike mechanic has, in fact, NEVER worked that way. I can't imagine how that misconception has lived through all the time since vanilla WoW. :evil:

Depends entirely what you mean. It´s a combination of threat and health, seeing as melee can go splat if soakers aren´t healed quick enough, whilst being nowhere near on threat.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Chivalry » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:07 am

amh wrote:Depends entirely what you mean. It´s a combination of threat and health, seeing as melee can go splat if soakers aren´t healed quick enough, whilst being nowhere near on threat.

This is false.

Quoting Wowwiki:

Hateful Strike (25-man):

Patchwerk will use this ability at a 1 second frequency on the target in melee range with the highest HP who is also one of the top three on Patchwerk's aggro list. Cannot be used on the main tank unless there are no other targets. Does 79,000 to 81,000 raw physical damage which can mitigated by armour and parried/dodged. This is about 23,000 damage on a partially Naxxramas geared tank. This ability will add threat to the three most threatening on Patchwerk's aggro list.

Note: The 40-man level 60 version of Patchwerk selected hateful targets from the 2nd, 3rd and 4th melee targets on threat, however due to misunderstandings about the mechanics melee DPS would often get the slime debuff to reduce their HP. This misunderstanding has continued to the present today. It is not and has never been necessary for melee DPS to reduce their HP if the tanks are all doing their job.

This can actually be "tested" pretty easily, as I have done with my raid.

1) Have one of the druids not tank the boss, but bring his max Stamina set, stand in melee, and pound on Patchie with autoattack. The beast will most probably have more HP than at least some of the three tanks.

2) Have all three tanks doing their job right.

3) Watch the bear's HP never diminish.

4) Laugh at those who are still imprisoned by their misconceptions :roll:

So what every melee DPS should basically do is keep themselves from charging at Patchie at the first eyeblink, and join the fight when their Omen shows all three tanks have got at least 10-15k threat.
Chivalry

Postby amh » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:19 am

Chivalry wrote:So what every melee DPS should basically do is keep themselves from charging at Patchie at the first eyeblink, and join the fight when their Omen shows all three tanks have got at least 10-15k threat.

I agree with this, and I frown on the slime-technique. Seems like a waste of time.

I have however seen melee go splat, whilst being 100k behind OTs on threat, just because OTs weren´t healed up properly.

- OT takes a hateful
- Other OT takes a hateful
- Melee takes a hateful (splat), OT gets a few heals

Wowhead-link to hateful: http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=41926

Wowwiki is a great source of information, but it´s written and edited by players. Not necessarily correct on every single little detail.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Chivalry » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:56 am

amh wrote:I agree with this, and I frown on the slime-technique. Seems like a waste of time.
I have however seen melee go splat, whilst being 100k behind OTs on threat, just because OTs weren´t healed up properly.
Wowwiki is a great source of information, but it´s written and edited by players. Not necessarily correct on every single little detail.

Well, I have yet to see it. Perhaps our healers are way too good, but neither the bear in that case, nor any melee ever since, have eaten a hateful.

Yes, I fully understand that Wowwiki is written by players and isn't errorproof. Neither are Wowhead's comments. Speaking of which, I really like the 3rd one from the top of this Wowhead thread: http://www.wowhead.com/?npc=16028#comments.

Quoting that one here.

Patchwerk said:

Who is fun to play? Oh, these 3 (2 on 10 man) have huge threat, I pick them! (Picks 3 highest threat targets as Hateful Strike candidates)

Who has huge HP of these 3 who is fun to play? Oh, this toy! I hurt him hard! (Applies Hateful Strike to candidate who has highest HP)

Oh, these 3 toys are fun to play! I want to play with more! (GREATLY boosts threat of the 3 Hateful Strike candidates)

For players and by players. I have yet to see any proof this is wrong; just plunged through all comments out there, with no one saying anything similar to your observations. :?
Chivalry

Postby amh » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:07 am

It´s a bug for all I know, but it happens. As late as last night, actually ^ Semi-pug with puged healers, trying to heal reactive > pro-active.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Wolvar » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:14 am

WWS Link please.

This has NEVER happened in my experience. The only time a melee goes splat is either when they overtake an OT, or an OT dies.
Wolvar

PreviousNext

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon