Remove Advertisements

[10] Sartharion with 3 drakes

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby Valsh » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:13 pm

We did this tonight by skipping all portals until shadron was dead, and keeping our druid up with a barkskin, BoS, Guardian spirit, Bos rotation, i can't believe how trivial that made the fight. (A bit random, but still easy none the less)
Valsh

Postby Eender » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:20 pm

That's one of the random buffs, yes. I dunno if it's the correct one or not. The one I am thinking of (I'm almost positive that the #s I am thinking of are correct and it has an icon like VE) increases (Fire or Shadow (can't remember)) damage by 75% (on top of the already applied auras) for the durration of the debuff (which also puts a dot on you that ticks for approx 3k) which lasts roughly 6 seconds (?). Sorry for all the possibles and not definites but I just know what goes on in there and how to react to the situations. It's hard to tell you for sure because you don't really have time to study this stuff while you are tanking the encounter : (. I hope this helps tho.

Samsonite! Man, I was way off...
Eender

Postby Valsh » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:29 pm

Eender wrote:That's one of the random buffs, yes. I dunno if it's the correct one or not. The one I am thinking of (I'm almost positive that the #s I am thinking of are correct and it has an icon like VE) increases (Fire or Shadow (can't remember)) damage by 75% (on top of the already applied auras) for the durration of the debuff (which also puts a dot on you that ticks for approx 3k) which lasts roughly 6 seconds (?). Sorry for all the possibles and not definites but I just know what goes on in there and how to react to the situations. It's hard to tell you for sure because you don't really have time to study this stuff while you are tanking the encounter : (. I hope this helps tho.

That's twilight torment, it's applied when Vesperons acolyte is left up for a while, it increases Fire AND shadow damage taken by 75% and deals 2-6k shadow damage everytime you deal damage.
Valsh

Postby Carni » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:52 pm

Valsh wrote:We did this tonight by skipping all portals until shadron was dead, and keeping our druid up with a barkskin, BoS, Guardian spirit, Bos rotation, i can't believe how trivial that made the fight. (A bit random, but still easy none the less)

That sounds damn interesting.

How much HP did the druid had? How long did you need to kill both drakes?

How many acolytes were there in the twilight when you first entered it, after killing Shadron?
Would it be possible to see a WWS or movie of your kill, because this sounds like an awesome strategy ^^.

Btw Just killed him with 2 drakes up like 1/2 hour ago :)
Last edited by Carni on Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carni

Postby Gaffer » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:53 pm

Valsh wrote:That's twilight torment, it's applied when Vesperons acolyte is left up for a while, it increases Fire AND shadow damage taken by 75% and deals 2-6k shadow damage everytime you deal damage.

Hmm, I'm guessing that's the correct buff then. I don't know how our Sartharion tank was missing it. Regardless, knowing when to expect the big spikes will be huge!
Gaffer

Postby Carni » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:56 pm

Carni wrote:
Valsh wrote:We did this tonight by skipping all portals until shadron was dead, and keeping our druid up with a barkskin, BoS, Guardian spirit, Bos rotation, i can't believe how trivial that made the fight. (A bit random, but still easy none the less)

How much HP did the druid had? How long did you need to kill both drakes? What was the largest hit the SarTank received?

How many acolytes were there in the twilight when you first entered it, after killing Shadron?
Would it be possible to see a WWS or movie of your kill, because this sounds like an awesome strategy ^^.

Carni

Postby Valsh » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:05 pm

Gaffer wrote:Hmm, I'm guessing that's the correct buff then. I don't know how our Sartharion tank was missing it. Regardless, knowing when to expect the big spikes will be huge!

No, you were correct about gift of the twilight too, that's the buff given to Sartharion from Shadron/Vesperon acolyte as soon as they spawn, the tooltip is indeed incorrect and increases fire damage by 50% instead of shadow for Shadrons version. It's worth noting Gift of the twilight is something that will effect that damage the MT takes every fight, whereas Twilight Torment is applied to random people(This can hit the MT too every once in a blue moon)

How much HP did the druid had? How long did you need to kill both drakes?

http://wowwebstats.com/m2eid4hkngdv5 - 2 Acolytes in the realm after shadron went down, we just disposed of them quickly and then finished off Vesperon, there wasn't time for him to get his acolyte back up before he hit the ground.

I can't remember how much health our druid had but we took Tenebron down just after shadron landed, bloodlusted to get shadron down and then went into the twilight realm.
Valsh

Postby Nness » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:07 am

I know some group skipping portals until shadron was dead. But my question is shadron will gain a shield that reduce damage taken while portal is up. That shield cuts down 5000 crit damage to 27 crit damage. How do you manage to kill him while portal is up. Or maybe I missed something?
Nness

Postby Valsh » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:10 am

Nness wrote:

I know some group skipping portals until shadron was dead. But my question is shadron will gain a shield that reduce damage taken while portal is up. That shield cuts down 5000 crit damage to 27 crit damage. How do you manage to kill him while portal is up. Or maybe I missed something?

Only sartharion gains the damage reduction buff from the acolytes when you engage him with drakes up.
Valsh

Postby Nness » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:39 am

I see. That will make things a lot easier.. I was thinking shield is on shadron. :(

Thanks a lot. Might give 3 drake up some try next week.
Nness

Postby Gaffer » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:08 pm

In the end, we decided to have the DK tank Sartharion since it's easier for him to manage CDs based on the debuff gain than have other members of the raid manage theirs based on his debuffs. Deathknights are by far the best tank for dealing with the massive breaths.

We did things a bit differently and ran the following comp:

Unholy Deathknight
Prot Paladin
Feral Druid
Resto Druid
Holy Paladin
Mage
Shadow Priest
Ele Shaman
Enh Shaman
Fury Warrior

We had a lot of trouble with whelp pickup. Even if I was standing at the spawn point with consecrate up, they would aggro on to one of the healers and kill them. I think they were positioned poorly, or maybe I'm just terrible, but we ended up changing things a bit.

To open, we had our feral tank Sartharion, me tanking drakes, and our DK picking up adds. Ebon Plaguebringer and Pestilence with the Spriest's Devouring Plague was a huge help. After we killed Tenebron, we AoEd whatever was left of the adds and our DK taunted Sartharion. Our druid went cat form DPS while I picked up adds and tanked the drakes. After we killed the drakes, I took Sartharion so the DK could pick up adds. Complicated? Sure. But we managed to kill.

It was still no pre-3.0 late SWP but we had a lot of fun.
Last edited by Gaffer on Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gaffer

Postby Nness » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:17 am

That's what I have found as well. My group doesn't have DK. We end up with druid tank sartharion, I'm on drake duty and protection warrior on whelps. That's how we did with 1 drake up. Pally's consecrate had hard time to pick up whelps. Prot warrior's burst aoe threat is more superior compare to pally's consecrate when deal with whelps.

Next Monday. I might ask our hunter to drop freeze trap at whelps spawn point and let prot warrior tank both drake and whelps. See how that works out.
Nness

Postby Falibard » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:07 am

Splug wrote:
Belloc wrote:I must say I'm a bit surprised. I thought the whole point was to kill Sartharion while the drakes were beating on you and summoning portals/void zones. Actually killing the drakes while in combat with Sartharion sounds much easier than killing Sartharion with 3 drakes doing their thing.
Yeah, that's kinda my take on it too. However, it still seems like this would require three tanks, or at least a fury warrior with a shield for disciples. I presume all three drakes use the same shadow shift? Thus one person could handle all three disciples, one all three drakes, and one on Sartharion? Effectively this becomes Maulgar 4.0, but I don't see it being pretty with 10.

-Splug

I think the key would be have your drake tank have a mix of FR and SR gear to significantly lessen the incoming damage they'd be taking from 3 breaths (remember breath damage is doubled by their debuffs). That's the only way I can conceive creating a group with enough dps to handle the fight and not have the healers go oom 3 seconds after the drakes come down.

I'm trying to think what class would be the right fit to tank those drakes. DKs, anti-magic shield or warriors, spell reflect? I don't think bears of pallys would be successful without being able to consistently negate the spell attacks.
Falibard

Postby Eender » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:28 am

The way we do it is I tank the drakes, whelps, and fire guys. I don't wear any FR/SR at all. Also, we run 2 healers and have a DK tank Sarth. As far as the tank for down below it is anyone who isn't cloth and have a DPS that can heal as well (Ele Sham/Boomkin) spot heal as necessary. Either that or run a Holy Pala up top and send second healer down below (although this is incredibly dangerous as tanks are likely to spike during this time).

Samsonite! Man, I was way off...
Eender

Postby Splug » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:43 am

Falibard wrote:I'm trying to think what class would be the right fit to tank those drakes. DKs, anti-magic shield or warriors, spell reflect? I don't think bears of pallys would be successful without being able to consistently negate the spell attacks.
Tanking the drakes, elementals, and whelps puts out some decent damage... but the hard part is just getting everything picked up immediately, and keeping it in front of you while moving out of the lava walls. Damn whelps always seem to spread out in a 360 circle and have to be re-corralled. Once Tenebron is dead and the whelps are gone, the tank positioning/pickups get much easier, and it becomes just a matter of surviving through the portals.

As far as tanking class for the adds, anyone who can handle tanking a heavily-focussed target while still grabbing elementals and whelps is fine. Honestly, a shield-wearer is probably better off since it's a fair number of low-hitting targets with only one to two big guys at any time, but the main game is just in picking everything up.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon