Healers
Paladin - Mostly Sarth tank
Druid - Raid

DPS
Hunter of unknown spec
Shadow Priest
Shaman Ele
Shaman Enh
Unholy DK (tanked dragonkinks inside portal)
Ret Paladin

Looking for WWS.

The major problem after we had, after figuring out how to position and transition between phases, was getting the damage reduction buffs on Sarth Tank in time. And people dying at random times to random things.

Add control is... difficult. Grabbing the elemental adds was a problem because I could not tab or click target them easily and raid frames weren't updating aggro fast enough. We made healers get a Quackro (a quack macro) to yell out add aggro and asked the Ret paladin to taunt when possible so they wound up in the consecrate/Hammer range. Often healers would be instagibbed by enraged lava adds or eaten by whelps. So we worked out BoP rotation on the healers at crucial moments (moving Drake 1 to Drake 2 position where whelps spawn). Dropping a consecration while on the way to position 2 that healers could stand in also helped.

There's a bit of luck involved in here, crappy wave combos, chained voids blocking your way to safe spots, lava adds spawning in the wave and gibbing a healer before anything could be done, DPS pulling aggro with aoe and getting eaten alive because your consecration was too far, healers too far at crucial moments, etc. It's doable, however, and felt like an excellent challenge compared with the steamrolled content we had so far.

Edit: forgot one dps >_>

Edit: Chut it! >_<
Last edited by Ewige on Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ewige

Postby Belloc » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:43 am

Ewige wrote:Downed with this comp:
Tanks:
Druid - Malygos
Paladin (me) - Everything else

Healers:
Paladin - Mostly Malygos tank
Druid - Raid

DPS:
Hunter of unknown spec
Shadow Priest
Shaman Ele
Shaman Enh
Unholy DK (tanked drgonkinks inside portal)
Ret Paladin

Looking for WWS.

The major problem after we had, after figuring out how to position and transition between phases, was getting the damage reduction buffs on Malygos Tank in time. And people dying at random times to random things.

Add control is... difficult. Grabbing the elemental adds was a problem because I could not tab or click target them easily and raid frames weren't updating aggro fast enough. We made healers get a Quackro (a quack macro) to yell out add aggro and asked the Ret paladin to taunt when possible so they wound up in the consecrate/Hammer range. Often healers would be instagibbed by enraged lava adds or eaten by whelps. So we worked out BoP rotation on the healers at crucial moments (moving Drake 1 to Drake 2 position where whelps spawn). Dropping a consecration while on the way to position 2 that healers could stand in also helped.

There's a bit of luck involved in here, crappy wave combos, chained voids blocking your way to safe spots, lava adds spawning in the wave and gibbing a healer before anything could be done, DPS pulling aggro with aoe and getting eaten alive because your consecration was too far, healers too far at crucial moments, etc. It's doable, however, and felt like an excellent challenge compared with the steamrolled content we had so far.

Edit: forgot one dps >_>

Wow. Was that a world first? Malygos with 3 drakes up!
Belloc

Postby Ewige » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:57 am

>_>

<_<

<_>

Where's that coffee
Eiv - Fliegende Kinderscheiße!
Ewige

Postby kram » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:42 pm

Went with:
Warrior MT
Paladin OT

Disc Priest
Resto Druid
Resto Shaman

Ret Pally
Boomkin
Ele Shaman
Mage
Warlock

Seemed tons easier then 2tanks/2healers for some reason although we did get quite a few lucky middle flame walls.
kram

Postby firstamendme » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:47 am

My guild tried switching our strategy to:

Warrior MT
Warrior on drakes
Me on whelps/lava punks (with a macro to quickly DG +HoSac the tank at the end)

Holy Pally (specced into DG)
Resto Shaman (for bloodlust)
Resto Druid

Shadow Priest
Boomkin
Arcane Mage
Survival Hunter

Adding in the extra healer basically meant we had to deal with 2 whelp spawns, but we were prepared for that.

The problem I was having, was that once there were 40million whelps on me (they weren't really hurting me for much once I had them positioned), I was having issues picking up lava adds that spawned further away. I didn't want to move the pile of whelps before they had a few more consecrate ticks/hammer tosses to solidify the aggro, but it would result in an occasional add eating a flame wall and getting a few hits off on a healer.

Any advice for keeping all those million adds while still keeping the fire dudes out of the lava wall/off healers? Is it unrealistic to handle 2 waves of adds? I had no issues tanking them all, and they didn't seem to slow the dps as we just had the dps switch to mass AOE them down right after Tenebron died before switching to Shadron.

FUN FIGHT.
firstamendme

Postby kram » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:28 am

You could always attempt to AoE the whelps down shortly after they spawn before tenebron dies.

Having three tanks allows you to move around more freely, try moving near the holy paladin and have him turn RF on once you pick up the 2nd set of whelps.
kram

Postby Joanadark » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:14 am

Wait....why are you getting 2 whelp spawns again?

Even with only 4 dps, thats a failure by your DPS if they let a second cast off.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby firstamendme » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:43 am

I honestly dont think we have the dps for this, as they are all between 3.3-3.9k. Doing it with 4 dps and those numbers, we get a second swarm of whelps every time. The RL/MT is convinced we can pull it off with a second swarm, but I'm hesitant...at least it's good practice ><
firstamendme

Postby kram » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:52 am

firstamendme wrote:I honestly dont think we have the dps for this, as they are all between 3.3-3.9k. Doing it with 4 dps and those numbers, we get a second swarm of whelps every time. The RL/MT is convinced we can pull it off with a second swarm, but I'm hesitant...at least it's good practice ><

Are you bloodlusting on Tenebron?
kram

Postby firstamendme » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:07 pm

We are, typically, and on those attempts typically Tenebron dies right after Shadron lands and the 2nd wave of welps spawns.
firstamendme

Postby Candiru » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:00 am

While you *can* do it with 2 whelp spawns, Tenebraun should be dying just before / after the second whelp spawn.

After he dies the DPS should then AoE down the whelps before starting on shardon.

Its much easier with only one whelp spawn, but if you have to hold 2 sets of whelps for a significant period of time you are likley to be killed by enraged adds, since its hard to see lava adds with 2 whelp packs up you will probably miss some.

PS our raid comp was:

DK Tank (Sarth)
Warrior tank (drakes)
Paladin tank (adds/whelps)

Holy Paladin + 2 resto druids.

DPS:
Unholy DK
Shadow priest
Mage
Elemental Shammie

Notice that the DPS have HUGE synergy with each other, they are all magic users with an unholy DK to debuff +13% magic damage.

This fight is all about stacking your DPS tbh. You either want physical stack or magical stack.
Last edited by Candiru on Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Candiru

Postby firstamendme » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:03 am

That was definetely a problem. I use the console zoom to max command so I still could see a good amount of the area, but it becomes very easy to miss lava spawns and *cough* void zones with 50million whelps in a pile of consecrate.
firstamendme

Postby Candiru » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:14 am

Pro tip for avoiding your own void zone: always walk slowly backwards!
Candiru

Postby amh » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:59 am

Question!

Can a holy / ret-pally survive using Sacrifice on the Sarth-tank while Vesperon and Shadron are both alive, or would it require a bubble-Sacrifice? Having some trouble getting the timing down, using that extra gcd on bubbling pre-sacrifice seems to be what´s killing us at the moment (sacrifice landing late).
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Ewige » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:36 am

It is possible if the timing is right + full HP and the paladin then immediately overrides the BoSanc with freedom after the breath.
Eiv - Fliegende Kinderscheiße!
Ewige

PreviousNext

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon