Remove Advertisements

You will need frost resist gear for Sapphiron

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby Mex » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:55 pm

We did him on 10 man last week and had a fair few wipes, mostly due to one subpar healer, and some people not mastering the art of moving out of Blizzards. He was hitting me for 7k unblocked.

Did him again last night on 25 man and one-shot him. Was infinitely easier. He was only hitting me for 7-8k blocked (was 102.4 by then).

I had mats for FR ready to go, but ended up not crafting it. In fact I stacked as much physical mitigation as I could. Used an armor trinket every 2 mins, and an ironshield at 30%.

For both fights, we had pally aura, and I think for one I used chromatic resistance flask (35 frost res). It's definitely not needed, we'll be going for the achievement next week in 25 man, and possibly this week in 10 man. Just need to really nail avoiding the blizzards and it's cake.

PS you shouldn't have any mana issues during the fight, so P2 when you're behind your block, top your friends up, especially if one or both healers got the block.
Mex

Postby Gideon » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:20 am

Just reread the entire thread but can't find a clear statement about FrR requirements in the 25 man encounter.
Gideon

Postby Diocaska » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:20 am

<----- Member of the 100 club.

Don't need much at all. Done her on 10 man with no resistance. Also done her on 25 with just a Paladin aura.

Just make sure you avoid Blizzards, and watch out when turning her, her cleave is MASSIVE.

Also @ OP. Please check things properly before quoting things as truth, it can be very misleading.

Edit: Final note. You may want to watch out if someone too close gets an iceblock. If a block pops up too close to the center, you can still get nuked even if behind the block. Cannot confirm range, but it while tanking her in the circle, a block just outside of it was way too close.
Aurellia(90) Ulshala(85) Diocaska(85) Leighesha(85)
Diocaska

Postby DeadlyRabbit » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:09 am

I was ret for our attempts in naxx 10, but we found that keeping Sacred shield up on the entire raid made a big difference, I took care of group 2 and group 1 was handled by the holy paly.
DeadlyRabbit

Postby Torakka » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:58 am

Gideon wrote:Just reread the entire thread but can't find a clear statement about FrR requirements in the 25 man encounter.

We used no frost resist pieces when killing 25 man Sapphiron first time (and mind you, I tanked him with Sunwell gear still in over half of my equipment slots). Next reset it was time for 100 club.
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/a ... /ezarioth/ -retired, maybe this time for real...
Torakka

Postby knaughty » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:29 pm

Did our progression kill last night.

Most of the raid in full Frost res gear.

Was trivial, we one-shot it.

Only difficult bit was "Sapph hits like a truck". AD saved me four times in one boss fight, and was over 2% mitigation. Commendation of KT procced many, many times.

Wore one piece of frost resist (the belt) which had more armor/stam than my T-6 belt anyway. Was uncrit, about 15% short of block cap.

Basically, if your guild gets the frost gear, you can kill Sapph in otherwise terrible gear. If not, you may need to farm more heroic gear.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Tyaera » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:45 pm

Your tank should not wear Frost Resistance. Sapphiron hits HARD, the aura damage is insignificant compared to the melee damage. On the same note, the healers shouldn't wear it, because they need their regen. Personally, we have the 5 DPS wear it, but no one else.
better to tank in hell than DPS in heaven
Tyaera

[10] My expirience

Postby Corvina » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:56 am

[WALL OF TEXT INCOMING]

[10] version
Finally finished the four wings last night and went in to Sapphiron. I came with the 3 pieces of crafted plate Frost resist, gemmed it to hit 540 defense and (in that gear) have more stam and armor than my regular tanking gear but less avoidance.

Our heals were 2 shamans and a paladin.

With an aura/totem (we had both and used both, i know they don't stack, it was to insure everyone was in range) I had 415 resist and was resisting between 400 and 700 of the frost aura ticks. Sapph was hitting me like a truck, yes, but the healers seemed to be able to heal me through it. The problem seemed to be that the rest of the raid (dps/heals) were taking 1k dmg/sec from the aura and the heals couldn't keep up with that.

First attempt was the best attempt, by the time we wiped he was at 86%. We died after the first air phase. The other raid leader and I figured people needed to avoid blizzards better and manage the air phase better.

Every attempt that followed healers stated they couldn't keep up with the aura and dps reported dieing from the aura. We even did a few attempts where dps did nothing but avoid dmg and practice the air phase. We always died as, or soon after, the end of the first air phase.

I give the background because I'm not seeing how groups are going in with only an aura/totem and having no problems with the Frost aura from Sapph. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and if they had thier heals/dps put on some resist gear and how much. The other raid leader and I are thinking we need to get everyone some resist gear, but we're not sure how much and with everything we read on the internet saying you don't need any, or only need a totem/aura, we wonder if there's something we're missing.

Thanks in advance for your help/advice. We're hoping to get this figured out so when the rest of the guild hits 80 we're more prepared to progress the Heroic version.

(Side Note) With 3 healers, we've had no serious gear/skill problems with the other bosses, it was mostly the learning curve on the fights since most of us had never done Naxx before.
Corvina

Postby Splug » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:00 pm

An odd observation from naxx10: according to recount, I was only taking roughly twice the damage the rest of the raid was. This indicates Sapphiron's melee wasn't doing much more damage than his frost aura (on a single target); perhaps some mixed resistance gear on the tank isn't a horrible idea after all, but I certainly wouldn't overkill it.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Torakka » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:01 pm

As far as I know it's just matter of having at least one not-shitty geared healer who's class and personal skills are enough for some heavy AoE healing. Druid or CoH priest likely works the best and of course it helps to have JoL up which you will / should have if there's paladin tank.
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/a ... /ezarioth/ -retired, maybe this time for real...
Torakka

Postby mirkodeluxe » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:14 am

Slightly OT, but when we did sapph in the 10-man version our healers kept going OOM. Since I wasnt MTing I opted to spec ret for the replenishment effect and I just used my regular tanking gear.

It made all the difference.
mirkodeluxe

Postby stormknight » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:32 am

25 Man, non frost set gear, not even one piece. (Only paladin frost aura)

Bring pro and skilled healers.

2 shot him.

Loot took more time than boss kill.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
stormknight

Postby enbee » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:48 am

Tank in full tanking gear 1 healer on tank who beacons self

Tank (you) can sacred shield the melee all the time + jol

aoe healer covers ranged + helps on melee

Frost resistance from motw, -100 club

You only need 2 healers as long as you help out, which you can by quite alot.

AND your dps needs to be non retarded and move out of blizzard A S A P
LoL, a paladin tank!
enbee

Postby Kihra » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:00 am

I actually think this fight is harder in the 10-man version than it is in the 25-man version.

With no frost resist gear and just aura/totem... every time we've done the 10-man version we've basically had four people healing (I let our warrior tank Sapph and respecced holy to help out with the healing).

In the 25-man version we killed him easily without really even having to think about healing.
Kihra

Postby enbee » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:54 am

If you need 4 healers there are 2 possible causes.

1) Your healers are bad

2) Your dps is bad as it isn't avoiding damage as they should be
LoL, a paladin tank!
enbee

PreviousNext

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon