Remove Advertisements

What level for what instances?

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

What level for what instances?

Postby Squishums » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:25 pm

This probably kinda behind the times since all you hardcores are into heroics and raiding, but Im wondering what level each instance CAN be safely tanked at, and whether heroics can be done at 79 or even lower?

I felt I could tank any mob that wasnt red to me at first cause of lvl 70 raid gear, but now that Im less overgeared, Im not sure how much I can handle.

Im lvl 74 with 518 def and 117 hit...Im especially curious about halls of lightning because of that sick trinket....I cant equip till 78 of course, but I want to start running it asap cause I never get anything I want without running ti 10 times anyway =P
Squishums

Postby Veilan » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:05 pm

I haven't done the halls yet, but I successfully tanked the violet hold (75-77) at level 74, with a 72 healer. So my guess is you're pretty safe, the rule of thumb seems to be that you can safely tank at the lowest range level or 1 below. Just have your DPS watch it if they outlevel you by a fair degree, due to the artifical miss-chance that is everything about level balancing.

I have to say I'm fairly disappointed, all instances so far have been a joke in difficulty level (except maybe Ahn'Kahet, which does have some tricks on top of the artificial DD-requirement bottlenecks). I was hoping the "easy mode" the patching before wotlk's release introduced was going to be normalised in Northrend, apparently, I was wrong.

I'm sure some other folks can chime in with more concrete experiences, but by and large, my advice would be: Have confidence and get a party willing to try, you may be surprised how smooth it turns out :).
Ythalaine - Die Aldor EU
Veilan

Postby Pallypete » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:21 pm

Try to be close to the appropriate level as you can be before getting into it IMO. I tanked Violet Hold at level 72, and it was just BRUTAL. Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn since bosses were 4-5 levels above me, which made it really really hard to get a decent amount of threat, which made the fights last waaay too long. Got through it though (and got me a riot shield for my troubles. lol.)
Pallypete

Postby Consecrator » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:41 pm

My two cents for what its worth. I tried to tank it at 77 (btw the first boss is lvl 81) and the trash to first boss was no problem, however, the boss kicked my ass. I did not have alot of def though (was grinding and not doing alot of instances so wasnt trying to ahrd yet) and got crit for 11k several times. i went back at 78 with better stats and it was much easier. A combo of being 1 lvl higher and haveing more def was the key. Again just my exp and hope it helps a little. Gl
When I was 8 years old, I watched my mother kill a spider with a tea cozy. Many years later I would find out that it wasnt a spider, it was my uncle harold.
Consecrator

Postby gwenyth » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:33 am

Veilan wrote:I haven't done the halls yet, but I successfully tanked the violet hold (75-77) at level 74, with a 72 healer. So my guess is you're pretty safe, the rule of thumb seems to be that you can safely tank at the lowest range level or 1 below. Just have your DPS watch it if they outlevel you by a fair degree, due to the artifical miss-chance that is everything about level balancing.

I have to say I'm fairly disappointed, all instances so far have been a joke in difficulty level (except maybe Ahn'Kahet, which does have some tricks on top of the artificial DD-requirement bottlenecks). I was hoping the "easy mode" the patching before wotlk's release introduced was going to be normalised in Northrend, apparently, I was wrong.

I'm sure some other folks can chime in with more concrete experiences, but by and large, my advice would be: Have confidence and get a party willing to try, you may be surprised how smooth it turns out :).

hi ,

i'm a long time reader and this is my first post. By this chance ty for this great forum.

i am a little disagree with OP. they made the levelling instances a bit easy. cos of that ppl go and farm them instead of questing. and see different areas. i am levelling as prot and i have limited time cos of work. so i do intances so muchand i have tanked nexus, UK, Old kingdom, azjal nerub (can be wrong spelled) and that new troll instance (lvl 75- 76).

they were all easy but give us great chance to see new areas. if they were hard ppl will skip them and they will become useless until starting heroic farms.

i'll ding 75 2 bars later and i wanna see the other instances as soon as possible.

PS: btw i cannot figure out why the below sig doesn't work properly.
gwenyth

Return to WotLK