Questing or Instance'ing?

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Questing or Instance'ing?

Postby Gwert » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:25 am

Pretty self explanatory, would it be semi-viable to run instances instead of just sit down questing? I noticed in a lot of the instances there is no actual 'tank' gear, maybe a ring here and there, but it seems most of the tank gear comes from the end of chain quests that send you into the instances. I quest ret, but run instances as a tank, so my respec is maxed out at 50g and i would like to eliminate some of the waste and pick one spec either way (I am in no hurry to get to 80). Any advice is appreciated.
I only ever pay attention if it's a raid boss, else I just faceroll all over the keyboard yelling "MOAR! GIEF MOAR MOBZ PLZORZ!" on vent. ~ Pizbit
Gwert

Postby Apox » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:42 am

Questing worked well for me (ding 80 last night), although it may be much slower if you aren't ahead of the curve. My friends who decided to run instances are, I believe, around 73-74 right now; albeit I played a bit more than them.

--
Apox
Apox

Postby moduspwnens » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:47 pm

I was doing instances, but questing as Ret just goes way faster and is much less boring.

EDIT: I also deleted my Ret set a long time ago, except for my Jin'Rokh. In the process of questing in Borean alone, I probably could have built 2-3 full sets.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Equitas » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:51 pm

The Average level takes me 4 hours.

1 Anakhet temple run takes me 25 Minutes full clear with ALL the trashmobs. And grants be about the same xp as when i solo. =/
I am filled with Rage.... and cupcakes!!!
Of the Nightfall - Check
Twilight Vanquisher - Check
the Undying - Check
the Immortal - Missing
Equitas

Postby Dehn » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:55 pm

I'm mixing between the both.. I think I've done like every instance up to and including Gundrak half a dozen times now. No pugs, just guild groups, with basically the same group all the time.

Also cleared HF and half of Borean.. almost 76, averaging a level every 4.5h played. Gonna have loads of quests at 80 to fund my mammoth with. Not that selling cobalt ore at 200g/stack doesn't do that as well :P
Dehn

Postby Samuelus » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:34 pm

I snuck off to shalor basin ( sp? ) on day one and two and mined like mad.. got BS up to 423 and ran out of saronite:D

most everyone I know is taking it easy and most are around -72-74 ... a few guildies are 76 now but I dont think they have slept.

anywho.. the mix of instances and questing seem to make it less of a grind. the exp by most accounts is the same where you solo questing in the time frame.

id recommend taking it easy and enjoying the content with your pals.. wotlk isnt going anywhere and world firsts are done ...
Samuelus

Postby Zeels » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:51 pm

There aren't that many instances... You will get shitloads of cash by questing.

My advice quest as ret (it's _A_LOT_ faster) and then respec when you do instances, it's not expensive imo.

You can do some instances as ret (depending on your gear). For me I prefer doing the instances as prot, I have much more fun doing that as well.
By the Power of Grey Skull!

Lvl 80 Spanks you very much Spankadin!

Spank
Zeels

Postby Zoltar » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:30 pm

The problem with questing on highly populated servers (2 hour cues of 1400 most the weekend) is that you spend time waiting for mobs or fighting other players for them. The starter areas are insane. Some people are just so rude and inconsiderate.

I am 74 and have been predominantly questing (as prot) but tanking instances whenever guild groups need a tank which seems to be 3 or 4 per day(most of our tanks specced DPS to level). The instances are short and had a reasonable amount of XP in them.

It will take me at least another week to get to 80, but in all reality I am not rushing and am taking the time out to enjoy the content this time.
Zoltar

Postby Playdoh » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:19 am

I am 73 1/2.

Before Wrath came out I made sure I had a 1/2 decent ret set. I have been switching in between questing and instancing without respec'ing.

It is probably a little slower but I wouldn't say a WHOLE LOT.

I have ran all the instances except zul durak (sp) and violet hold that I can. It makes up the questing or the instancing.
Playdoh
Maintankadonor

Postby Nemuria » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:46 am

most everyone I know is taking it easy and most are around -72-74 ... a few guildies are 76 now but I dont think they have slept.

I was planning to not sleep but I get bored. Need to get out of the starting area anyway, most players are 74+ now
Nemuria

Postby Belarkan » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:17 am

Green quest still give ~20K xp, so I headed toward fjord after tundra and there seems to be not that many players.
Go ahead or behind the wave :)
Belarkan

Postby Elsie » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:38 am

Questing is faster, but only if you do not "finish" zones. I'm a bit of a completionist, so I can't bring myself to leave a zone before I finish up all the quests.

Many of the zones have "stragglers quests." Basically, you'll have a flurry of quests and then they trickle down to a line that you end up repeating. Doing 1 quest at a time is very ineffecient since travel time is higher till you hit 77. An easy example is the quest line in Grizzly Hills involving the firbolg deity.

Instancing is assured efficiency, and are strictly better when you have the quests for them. Some instances are also absurdly quick or relaxed like Violet Hold.

Anyway you slice it, you want to do the Gundrak and Occulus quests for the rings and boots, and they drop some good plate items.
Last edited by Elsie on Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Elsie

Postby Belloc » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:39 am

Questing with the occasional instance is the fastest way, especially if you've actually been trying to level. Fjord was a bit crowded, but I have only seen a few other people in Grizzly Hills.

If you can get instance quests, do them. They reward a lot of XP and some really good gear (that you can wear or sell!).
Belloc

Postby Liberation » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:36 pm

I'm almost 77 now, and I've been questing as ret. I respected to prot at 75 after I got ShoR and I was able to solo pretty decently. But it's nowhere near how fast ret is, but it's definitely bearable with Divine Plea to help keep your mana up.
Liberation

Return to WotLK