SKgaming and Nihlium merge pwns WOTLK within 3 days

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Io.Draco » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:31 pm

their tanks where critable that I know ^^
Io.Draco

Postby Lothlan » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:32 pm

Guess they don't crit for that much anymore lol. Were they at least somewhat close to cap? :p

And wow my sig is old....
Lothlan

Postby Thaddaeus » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:24 pm

I'm mildly disappointed that the raid dungeons basically are available and easy enough to clear the moment you hit 80. I've always felt you should have to prepare before tackling raid content to at least some minimum standard, for example: uncrittable tanks and hitcapped casters.

That said, the culture of the "world first" has always never made sense to me. I usually don't pay attention to all of those shenanigans, because I know people enjoy different things about the game. However, when my skill and dedication is questioned because I'm not 80 yet, or didn't kill a certain boss before a certain nerf (Gruul 1.0 -- I was level 67 when he was nerfed) I get annoyed. It seems to usually be the "fanboys" of the top guilds who do this rather than the players themselves; who see players in two shades: either you killed Mu'ru pre-nerf, or you are a scrub.

The bottom line is, I was level 72 when the game was beaten, and I don't care.
Thaddaeus

Postby msuguy » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:41 pm

No worries.. I'm am positive Blizz will put in some content that 99% of the normal players will never see. It's of little suprise that the initial content is geared towards the masses. If the release content was so hard that this guild couldn't clear it in 2 weeks I, as a casual gamer, would be damn worried :)

I don't want to be left doing the equivelent Kara and a bunch of heroics for the next year and a half.
msuguy

Postby Thaddaeus » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:57 pm

msuguy wrote:No worries.. I'm am positive Blizz will put in some content that 99% of the normal players will never see. It's of little suprise that the initial content is geared towards the masses. If the release content was so hard that this guild couldn't clear it in 2 weeks I, as a casual gamer, would be damn worried :)

I don't want to be left doing the equivelent Kara and a bunch of heroics for the next year and a half.

Why does it have to be either too easy or impossible for 99% of "normal" players? Content could be designed to be challenging and accessible to modestly-geared players. The early iterations of Karazhan and many heroics fit this bill, but many players complained because they were unwilling in many cases to step up to play at 100%.

In short: challenging but accessible content includes original Kara and heroics, and pre-BC events such as Lord Valthalak and the 45 minute Baron run

Impossible content for 99% of players includes Gruul 1.0 and things such as Sunwell fights and original 4 horseman that needed massive raid stacking that's not really feasible for most guilds.
Thaddaeus

Postby Neara » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:52 pm

Levantine wrote:Because content that has been farmed to death on the PTR is srs bsns? K.

Also, LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL at the countdown they had on their site. Arrogant, self important fuckwits much?

why is making a countdown for the moment they are opening their new community site and revealing the name they'll be raiding under arrogant? :?:
Neara

Postby Eaglestrike » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:08 pm

Thaddaeus wrote:I'm mildly disappointed that the raid dungeons basically are available and easy enough to clear the moment you hit 80. I've always felt you should have to prepare before tackling raid content to at least some minimum standard, for example: uncrittable tanks and hitcapped casters.

That said, the culture of the "world first" has always never made sense to me. I usually don't pay attention to all of those shenanigans, because I know people enjoy different things about the game. However, when my skill and dedication is questioned because I'm not 80 yet, or didn't kill a certain boss before a certain nerf (Gruul 1.0 -- I was level 67 when he was nerfed) I get annoyed. It seems to usually be the "fanboys" of the top guilds who do this rather than the players themselves; who see players in two shades: either you killed Mu'ru pre-nerf, or you are a scrub.

The bottom line is, I was level 72 when the game was beaten, and I don't care.

It won't be a cakewalk for your average player hitting 80 and walking into Naxx. I was on beta in groups of full blues/purples (PvP gear but still good iLvL items) and we had to work around some fights, even with 2-4 people having done the fights before. You won't walk into Naxx in greens/blues and just clear the place in one night in most cases. For the average guild it'll probably take two or three nights to clear Naxx until another patch or two comes out and they farm it up, I'd say. It's a big instance and you pretty much need to know most fights to easily clear it. Chances are hardcore gamers like Nihilum/SK already knew most of the fights from original Naxx and that takes 90% of the difficulty out of an encounter.

I'm not going to criticize Blizzard just yet on raid design. It makes more sense for you to be able to progress right into the first raid instance right away instead of hitting a huge brick wall and being unable to do anything until you've done weeks of farming dungeons. I imagine the scale of difficulty will raise as we go and Arthas will at least be BT-level difficulty.

Also my guess is 3.1 is early/mid december so there will be more raid content soon enough, about when the better guilds will be having current raids on farm (but still will need gear from it) which makes sense from a developing point of view. You don't cater to the 25th-type guilds when developing a game.
Eaglestrike

Postby sweeney » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:20 am

Compared with Burning Crusade, this would be what we would have seen happen:

Pretend there's no SSC/TK in BC on release, rather than them being there and broken. Then someone clears Kara. PRESS RELEASE: BC is over!

I didn't follow the Wrath beta much, but I was aware that the hardcore content was coming after release. I was really happy with how ZA was handled, so I'm all on board with the idea of Blizzard releasing the raid content in stages.

Plus, the hardcore crowd has plenty of raid-based achievements to keep themselves busy.
Sweeney: 80 Paladin, Runetotem
sweeney

Postby Levantine » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:46 am

Neara wrote:
Levantine wrote:Because content that has been farmed to death on the PTR is srs bsns? K.

Also, LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL at the countdown they had on their site. Arrogant, self important fuckwits much?

why is making a countdown for the moment they are opening their new community site and revealing the name they'll be raiding under arrogant? :?:

It had a second counter. As if they expect people to be zomg excited and holding their breath for it.
Levantine

Postby moduspwnens » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:02 am

Levantine wrote:
Neara wrote:

It had a second counter. As if they expect people to be zomg excited and holding their breath for it.

Yeah, I feel like it may be a little over the top. Maybe it's to make the sponsors feel better.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Levantine » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:04 am

I wouldn't have had a problem with the site at all if the countdown wasn't so self righteous, if that makes you feel better, Io.
Levantine

Postby amh » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:29 am

It´s their website! If you don´t like it, don´t watch it ^.^

And I think getting 25 people to 80 is probably more of an achievement than clearing an up-tuned raid-instance most of them have already done pre-TBC.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby fafhrd » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:26 am

moduspwnens wrote:There's just a line somewhere that it's just not worth it any more. I think they passed it. For me, I'd like to be in a guild that is always on the latest dungeon and kills the last boss before there's another boss available. It's reasonable. Once you get past that, dang.

I think the point is that the only "unreasonableness" line they crossed is "how quickly can we get our raiders to level to 80". If the primary difficulty in the first tier of raid content (and all the raid content available until the next content patch) is just motivating people to stay awake and maximize XP per hour, the content is fairly lacking.

For me, the line of reasonableness is 0.75 - 1 levels a day, and the fact that they got that many level 80s in 3 days is vastly more impressive than killing bosses that have been farmed for months on beta, often by pugs.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Barathorn » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:41 am

Does any of it matter? People play the game at their own pace and this is dependant on committments. The people who would love to be getting world 1st's but cannot because of other committments are often the most vocal about people at the top of the tree and how they have no life. However it isn't right for these people at the top to think they are in any way better than anyone else and to in any way make the game a less enjoyable experiance for others.

I really don't care, if people want to level to 80 and clear content in 3 days then that is their choice, as long as it doesn't impact upon the game I play. It is when these people get bored and start killing questgivers and flightmasters within the 1st week that my placidity goes out of the window and I start thinking why are these muppets allowed to do this?

That's generally when I stop playing and go and watch a film or go out, I have enough stress in my life without worrying about something I like to play to relax.

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby caboom » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:33 am

I hope they disband out of boredom, seriously haven't they foresaw the fact that they had close to no oposition before they decided they want to merge ?!?!

Also : Easy farmed content is easy.
caboom

PreviousNext

Return to WotLK