Leveling in WotLK

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Leveling in WotLK

Postby Istan » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:04 pm

How is Prot leveling in WotLK? Are there any good AoE grind spots. I have a raid level holy set and a beginning raid protection set. Which would be faster : Holy or Prot? I am mainly interested in solo questing because I am sure neither spec would have that much trouble finding a group. I read a post on the official forums that recommended leveling as prot but in a holy set for the added sp. Thanks in advance!
Istan

Postby Impervium » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:08 pm

From my brief experience with early Tundra, the monsters seem really spread out. I have yet to find a good group of enemies to aoe grind.
Impervium

Postby Istan » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:13 pm

Should I be worried about Paladins not being able to tank as well as death knights or warriors? I am not talking about min/maxing in the highest end raids. I will most likely be running a lot of 80 five man on heroics and the 10 man raids. I did a few 25 man raids in tbc and I didn't like them as much. So, will I be able to tank 5 man heroics and 10 man raids as a tankadin in WotLK?
Istan

Postby Ikoma » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:33 pm

You shouldn't have problem with tanking in WotLK. In the instances you should do fine tanking and taking on three if not more without any problem. Just from I have seen in most cases, it is hard to find large groups to AoE pull and lvl/grind outside of an instance. I wouldn't worry about Death Knights. Anyone who is actually re-rolling is probably A. Not going to want to tank at all, Most people will be like hunters, locks, rogue etc. re-rolling and probably won't want to tank plus (B.) they are starting at 55 and will have a ways to go from there to 80, so you will probably be lvl 80 long before they reach that point, unless they are on a caffeine I.V. or have multiple people playing their account to help them lvl. Not to mention Death Knight is a complex class. I personally haven't been able to narrow the trees at all to which is tanking, DPS, utility etc.

Blizzard has made sure that all of us are viable tanks and there isn't much difference between all of us anymore. So you shouldn't have any trouble tanking instances, so don't sweat it. The only thing you really need to concern yourself with is lvling. So if you want to do it fast from I have heard, spec Ret and get the new gear that comes from the quests if you don't have a set of gear already. Only reason I personally would spec Ret is because of the lack of AoE groups I have seen, but I have only been in the Tundra so far. It might be different in other zones. Not to mention with the crowds of people doing quests to lvl, you will want to tag mobs as fast as possible, kill them and get to the next one since they aren't really grouped up. Hope that helps!
Ikoma

Postby Kelaan » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:43 pm

Yeah. Keep your healing gear, or your tanking gear, in your bag, and spec ret. You should see some pretty good upgrades from quest rewards as you go. You can get a 2h from some of the rep vendors, IIRC, on the island, also (I could be wrong), or from the AH... and that's almost all you need.
Kelaan

Postby Istan » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:35 pm

Thanks everyone. I guess I was just falling into some of the doom saying paladins on the official forums. The talk at the Class Roles- Tank forum is more intelligent than the Paladin forums. I guess I'll just grab some green level 70 ret gear and use that.
Istan

Postby Grimmal » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:40 pm

Istan wrote:Thanks everyone. I guess I was just falling into some of the doom saying paladins on the official forums. The talk at the Class Roles- Tank forum is more intelligent than the Paladin forums. I guess I'll just grab some green level 70 ret gear and use that.

If you don't have any gear for Ret already, grab the blue PvP gear from the TBC Reputations and it will do you plenty fine. You can also grab the blue Polearm from HH/Thrallmar as a starter weapon. The weapon you'll replace almost immediately while the gear might last you a level or two depending on what you value for leveling.

It's what I used on my Holy Paladin when I respecced for Beta and it worked great for gearing up with WotLK quest rewards.
I had a hook in my back and a light to guide me
Grimmal

Postby Istan » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:03 pm

Grimmal wrote:
Istan wrote:Thanks everyone. I guess I was just falling into some of the doom saying paladins on the official forums. The talk at the Class Roles- Tank forum is more intelligent than the Paladin forums. I guess I'll just grab some green level 70 ret gear and use that.

If you don't have any gear for Ret already, grab the blue PvP gear from the TBC Reputations and it will do you plenty fine. You can also grab the blue Polearm from HH/Thrallmar as a starter weapon. The weapon you'll replace almost immediately while the gear might last you a level or two depending on what you value for leveling.

It's what I used on my Holy Paladin when I respecced for Beta and it worked great for gearing up with WotLK quest rewards.

Are you talking about this : http://www.wowhead.com/?itemset=752? So just grab that set and a blue rep weapon and respec ret. Sounds like it'll be a lot faster than leveling holy. Thanks
Istan

Postby Mishakal » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:09 pm

Ikoma wrote: I wouldn't worry about Death Knights. Anyone who is actually re-rolling is probably A. Not going to want to tank at all, Most people will be like hunters, locks, rogue etc. re-rolling and probably won't want to tank plus (B.) they are starting at 55 and will have a ways to go from there to 80, so you will probably be lvl 80 long before they reach that point, unless they are on a caffeine I.V. or have multiple people playing their account to help them lvl.

Before I left for work today there was a level 71 death knight in Stormwind, I am thinking alot of high end guild will be power leveling at least one to see if they cant fit it into end game raiding.

As for wanting to focus on 5/10 man tanking, you will be fine, there were never enough tanks!
Mishakal

Postby Dryan » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:44 am

I have a complete T6/SW tanking set but only a few pieces of ret gear. I do have about 150 badges left so I might use those to purchase a piece or two of ret gear. Based upon this threat it seems like AoE isn't viable so ret it is. I can't seem to find (and I've been trying for the past hour) to find a ret leveling build. Anybody have a link or suggestion? Or suggestions on starting gear given my situation.

Thanks.
Dryan

Postby CountZero » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:08 am

Buy the Axe from badge vendor.

The build does not really matter. I would use something like this http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/cla ... 2135001051

5 points left, spec kings for instances or put them in ret tree
Last edited by CountZero on Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
CountZero
Maintankadonor

Postby phaqueue » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 am

www.retpaladin.com

click on the PVP ret talent build...

drop imp BoP and eye for an eye... get the % crit to judgements talent

I think I dropped 1 other point somewhere to finish out that talent (the dot talent maybe?)

doing from memory since I'm at work... if you want to you can armory Phaqueue on Magetheridon-US it's my current spec...

seems to work well for leveling IMO
phaqueue

Postby degre » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:06 am

Fjord.
To the south-east there's an elevetasor going down to a spot packed of sea lions.
Pulled the whole spot at 70, 2% of level.

I'm pretty confident that if you fancy grinding as prot there are more spots like that. I left immediately as I found it as I prefer to enjoy the questlines, but once I saw the spot I couldnt resist giving a go :P
On EU-Kadghar: Degre | Beldegre | Degrotto | Koshien | Sousuke
degre

Postby sherck » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:24 am

I found leveling as a Holy last night to be pretty easy.

Pulling with Judgement, get a Holy Shock in as the mob approaches, auto-attack, Shock again and typically be able to hit HoW within another auto-attack or two and then dead mob. I think I am only taking about ~ 10 sec per mob.

Which is really fine since I then stand around for 15 seconds waiting for a mob to spawn and see if I can tag it first...

I will be happy that I cannot play this whole weekend because the mass wave of people will outlevel me and I will have more of the environment to myself....

Cheers,
sherck

Postby Joanadark » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:15 am

The murlock area in BT works well, because, like all murlocks, they have very large aggro radii, long leashing distances, and tend to bring all their friends to the party when you make them mad.

Undead sub-areas are also very plentiful, and you are able to make good use of your abilities by pulling large groups, despite thier potential damage output, because of Holy Wrath stun and your ability to just pop bubble and let them all chill in your AE while you take a breather.

Remember that most casters will stop using spells and run up to smack you with their staff in melee (and therefore AE) range when you go immune by using bubble.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Next

Return to WotLK