Remove Advertisements

New potency

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

New potency

Postby Janduin » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:22 am

This has probably been mentioned before, but anyone else disappointed at the level of fail Potency's replacement is for paladin and warrior tanks?

Potency = 20 Str --> 46 AP + 10 BV before kings for paladin tanks (Divine Strength assumed, 50.6 AP and ~13 BV with kings)
Greater Potency = 50 AP

The switch from str to AP might make it better as a cheapo rogue or enh shaman enchant, but the new one sure sucks for us. I'm sure there will be a better tanking enchant later, but still.
Image
Janduin
 
Posts: 746
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:57 am
Location: Geneva

Postby majiben » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:30 am

Increases in power (kings, Divine str, divine intel, etc) stack additively
for a increase of exactly 1.25 times the given str. And the BV is affected by redoubt for a total of 15 BV.

The new enchants are really dissappointing.
Last edited by majiben on Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
User avatar
majiben
Moderator
 
Posts: 6999
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:37 pm
Location: Retired

Postby mazater » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:33 am

I'm pretty sure they want you to use this instead.
User avatar
mazater
 
Posts: 1130
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:40 am
Location: Winland

Postby majiben » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:39 am

This very expensive enchant will likely just barely beat out the old enchant for threat but the lost mitigation makes me want to use the old one anyways.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
User avatar
majiben
Moderator
 
Posts: 6999
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:37 pm
Location: Retired

Postby PsiVen » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:42 am

Actually, Potency IS better threat than "Superior Potency". Go figure.

Mazater wrote:I'm pretty sure they want you to use this instead.


Lawl.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
User avatar
PsiVen
Moderator
 
Posts: 4363
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:28 pm
Location: On a Boat

Postby Elsie » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:54 am

Majiben wrote:Increases in power (kings, Divine str, divine intel, etc) stack additively
for a increase of exactly 1.25 times the given str. And the BV is affected by redoubt for a total of 15 BV.

The new enchants are really dissappointing.

Err, I was pretty sure kings, divine str, etc stacked multiplicatively for say 1.15x1.1= 1.265 times the given str.
User avatar
Elsie
 
Posts: 3819
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:12 pm

Postby guillex » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:02 am

Elsie wrote:
Majiben wrote:Increases in power (kings, Divine str, divine intel, etc) stack additively
for a increase of exactly 1.25 times the given str. And the BV is affected by redoubt for a total of 15 BV.

The new enchants are really dissappointing.

Err, I was pretty sure kings, divine str, etc stacked multiplicatively for say 1.15x1.1= 1.265 times the given str.


Wrong math or not, Greater and Superior Potency are enchants that we should be staying away from... A static increase in AP, instead of an additive/multiplicative increase in str and BV is a loss, however you look at it.
Póg mo thóin
Image
User avatar
guillex
Moderator
 
Posts: 7490
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:32 pm
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Postby Elsie » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:54 am

Guillex wrote:
Elsie wrote:
Majiben wrote:Increases in power (kings, Divine str, divine intel, etc) stack additively
for a increase of exactly 1.25 times the given str. And the BV is affected by redoubt for a total of 15 BV.

The new enchants are really dissappointing.

Err, I was pretty sure kings, divine str, etc stacked multiplicatively for say 1.15x1.1= 1.265 times the given str.


Wrong math or not, Greater and Superior Potency are enchants that we should be staying away from... A static increase in AP, instead of an additive/multiplicative increase in str and BV is a loss, however you look at it.

Well, yeah. Most of the +AP enchants are worthless for paladins (at this moment). Even as a ret paladin, the first +AP wrist enchant I got was only 0.4 better than +12 strength without kings.
User avatar
Elsie
 
Posts: 3819
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:12 pm

Postby Janduin » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:27 am

Majiben wrote:Increases in power (kings, Divine str, divine intel, etc) stack additively
for a increase of exactly 1.25 times the given str. And the BV is affected by redoubt for a total of 15 BV.

The new enchants are really dissappointing.


You are right in that I forgot redoubt, but I am certain kings and Divine strength stack multiplicatively, just like damage reduction talents, Sanctuary, and stamina increase talents do.

Also, that Lifeward looks like a revamped Crusader with no Str proc. Underwhelming, to say the least. I'm don't think it would be that great even if it had a 100% proc rate.
Image
Janduin
 
Posts: 746
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:57 am
Location: Geneva

Postby Jasari » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:40 am

I find it very unexciting that there's a good chance we'll be using a boring +str BC enchant for WotLK raiding. Other tanks are in the same position no?
User avatar
Jasari
 
Posts: 2195
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:32 am
Location: Boston, MA

Postby jnames » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:44 am

At least it'll be cheap.
jnames
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:44 am

Postby Constantine » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:59 am

Am I to assume that the new enchants will also be undesirable for Ret, as well?
No armory link necessary. I am so awesome that if you clicked my armory link, your computer would explode.
Or perhaps whatever the opposite of that statement would be.
User avatar
Constantine
 
Posts: 262
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:15 am
Location: Midwest, US

Postby Janduin » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:30 am

I don't know, I haven't looked at them closely but I like the enchant that procs 400 AP at the cost of reduced armor. That could be very nice for ret, depending on proc rate.
Image
Janduin
 
Posts: 746
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:57 am
Location: Geneva

Postby Elsie » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:52 am

radioactivejack wrote:Am I to assume that the new enchants will also be undesirable for Ret, as well?

Depends. Ret is looking for whatever gives the most AP for the most damage (and spell power consequently). In the end, +AP does win - it just takes the end enchants to get there and the difference isn't too huge.

Tanks gain an additional benefit of block value that ret doesn't. So it's a mitigation, dps, and consequently TPS issue for them. I think any tank would ditch 14.4 AP for 16.445 BV (or higher if you like that meta).
Potency gives 20 str = 50.6 AP (kings and stength talent) and 16.445 BV.
Superior potency gives 65 AP
Exceptional Agility gives 26 agility (and therefore some crit/dodge)

There's some situational buffs, too, but they probably wont be any better than previous incarnations (fiery, unholy, battlemaster, demonslaying).
Last edited by Elsie on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Elsie
 
Posts: 3819
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:12 pm

Postby Petrus » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:54 am

So the general consensus is that 20 Strength (TBC Potency) is STILL going to be better for us than any other enchant, eh?
User avatar
Petrus
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 940
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:45 am
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota

Next

Return to WotLK

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest