Remove Advertisements

Levelling 70-72 in BM - 500k+ XP per hour rested

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Levelling 70-72 in BM - 500k+ XP per hour rested

Postby bomjac » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:58 pm

Most of the information taken from this page on wowwiki. If my math is plain wrong feel free to flame me and/or correct it.

My theory is to solo tank BM 5 times per hour from 70-72 before starting Northrend.

Black morass is inhabited by trash mobs of Mlvl 68-70 according to Wowwiki. From a previous post on the forums about farming the zone for leather and spider silks, there are around 110 - 120 trash mobs per instance.

Abbreviations
Clvl - Character Level
Mlvl - Monster Level
XP - Experience
ZD - modifier used when Clvl > Mlvl

Base XP per mob for mlvl = clvl (assuming Mlvl = Clvl)
XP = (Clvl * 5) + 45, where Clvl= Mlvl, for mobs in Azeroth
XP = (Clvl* 5) + 235, where Clvl= Mlvl, for mobs in Outland (575 for mlvl=67)
XP = (Clvl* 5) + 626, where Clvl= Mlvl, for mobs in Northrend (976 for mlvl=70)

For Mlvl < Clvl, there is a further calculation of
XP = (Base XP) * (1 - (Clvl- Mlvl)/ZD ) - ZD assumed to be 19@clvl=70

So a lvl 68 mob will give 484 XP at lvl 70 in BM. Rested this becomes 968 XP. For 110 mobs per clear, we receive 106,480 XP per 12 minute clear. 5 clears per hour (to stay within the instance limit) counts in at a whopping 532,400 rep per hour.

There is a further mod to the xp gain per mob for an instance, but I am unable to find that reported anywhere for a normal mob such as the BM trash. The only info I can find is the statement that an elite solo'd in an instance awards 2.75*XP instead of 2*XP.

Personally I see this as a far better and faster way to get a head start for a Tankadin than going straight to the starter zones with the masses on opening day. My intention will be lvl to 72 in BM, then go explore Northrend and start questing from there.

Northrend mobs will award 1952 exp at lvl 70 vs a lvl 70 mob rested, but there is no way on earth that you will be able to gather up enough of these mobs to AoE tank at this rate of Exp. Combined with questing, it may match this, it may not - I dont know for sure.

There may be other options (such as Kara trash with small groups), but it remains to be seen as to whether or not those mobs will actually award XP for kills due to being a raid instance.
bomjac

Postby Dork » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:10 pm

I've been trying to find a source to confirm or deny rested experience. Everybody keeps saying no rested. If you look at our bars right now it says 0% rested. Some people had rested in beta because they moved their toons and didn't login immediately.

I'd love to get confirmation on the rested thing.

Also, 120 mobs in each bm? for real lol? I never realized that many critters were roaming around in there.
Dork

Postby Karador » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:18 pm

Yea BM is fun to round everything up and AE it down. Takes a few minutes to ride through and get everything but your screen will be so full of mobs when you get to the entrance again its amazing.

As far as rested XP goes i doubt it. When TBC came out nobody had rested XP and i think they will do the same thing here. Once you upgrade your account to WOTLK your alts will start to get rested XP again but it was all reset to zero.

I level'd my main in TBC to 70 then i went to my Alt Rogue and never ran out of rested XP till right before i hit 70 when i played him a bit more to finish out the levels.
Karador

Postby bomjac » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:28 pm

The info about the number of mobs in BM originally came from a post on here about farming the place for Leather / Silk. The info came from the recount logs they had.

Well, if no rested bonus that totally screws my theory. Although any XP bonus from being in an instance may well compensate for it (2.75* for an instance elite vs 2* non instance elite). If that carries over to normal instance mobs it would make it worthwile.

Even if no rested bonus is applied, you are still looking at around 4 hrs per lvl grinding it. That is comparable to questing, so no great shakes there. And it means you have 2 lvls worth of quests extra for cash once you hit lvl 80.

I am also curious to see whether Kara will award XP for trash. 3 AoE+ healer to clear Animal, Attumen and Moroes trash could be rearding if they do.
Only time will tell.
bomjac

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:20 pm

Being in a raid completely nerfs XP gains. So you could 5 man kara, but that would probably be more trouble than it's worth, assuming you could trick the game into letting you create a raid, zone in, disband, and regroup without porting everyone out.

I'm going to try soloing BM trash to see what that XP looks like. I don't imagine it'll be very good, considering the 5/hr limit, but it won't hurt to see.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Jensaarai » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:23 pm

Honestly I would never do this because of how incredibly boring it'd become :/
Jensaarai - 85 Prot Paladin (Lost Isles - US)
Endüre - 85 Prot Warrior (Lost Isles - US)
Jensaarai

Postby elfjorc » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:25 pm

Jensaarai wrote:Honestly I would never do this because of how incredibly boring it'd become :/

Yeah, I'd have to agree here. Killing Lich Kings stuffs > BM trash.
elfjorc

Postby mavfin » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:53 pm

Yeah, this isn't a good reward vs effort thing, IMO. Why would I want to solo BM trash when there's new zones to see and new quests to do for more XP and gold...
--Mav
mavfin

Postby Flex » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:57 pm

Karador wrote:When TBC came out nobody had rested XP and i think they will do the same thing here.

TBC had rested. People could get to the mid 60s without running out of rested.

WotLK resets all rested to 0.
Flex

Postby Angella » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:58 pm

mavfin wrote:Yeah, this isn't a good reward vs effort thing, IMO. Why would I want to solo BM trash when there's new zones to see and new quests to do for more XP and gold...

Because you can avoid the fighting for quest objectives and constant ganking. I was honestly thinking about something like this for the first couple of levels. Just a matter of play style.

I'll probably do the isle quests till 73 or so too.
Angella

Postby mavfin » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:11 pm

Angella wrote:Because you can avoid the fighting for quest objectives and constant ganking.

There are reasons I don't play on a PvP server. This is one of them. I don't have to worry as much about quest mob competition. I play at ungodly hours, since I'm up all night for work during work-time.

Getting the jump on stuff makes more sense on a PvP server.
--Mav
mavfin

Postby Vanifae » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:20 pm

PvP server won't eb that bad, besides new content is better then trying to level as fast as I can.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby mavfin » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:22 pm

Vanifae wrote:PvP server won't eb that bad, besides new content is better then trying to level as fast as I can.

I have a feeling it's the divide between people who hate leveling and only do it to get to 80 and the raiding, and the people who like the ride, too. Nothing wrong with either approach, but we do look at the game differently.
--Mav
mavfin

Postby Vanifae » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:24 pm

mavfin wrote:
Vanifae wrote:PvP server won't eb that bad, besides new content is better then trying to level as fast as I can.

I have a feeling it's the divide between people who hate leveling and only do it to get to 80 and the raiding, and the people who like the ride, too. Nothing wrong with either approach, but we do look at the game differently.

I look at it this way.

How long were you 70?

How long did you level to 70?

I was 70 a long, long, long time... it was fun but some nights I had NOTHING to do.

Leveling at least is a break from the raiding game which everyone can use from time to time. I hate leveling alts but I enjoyed leveling my paladin.

If your goal is to be 80 by Thursday then god speed and I have nothing against that, just expect to be 80 for a LONG time.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby bomjac » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:30 pm

Compared to the time spent running endless Chaos Sanctuary / Baal with D2 / LOD HC, a few hours spent in BM is nothing to be honest.

I am just looking at it as a way to get a quick two levels (or more) and then go on to see all the lovely new quests and content that has been mentioned. It is not as if they will be skipped. We all need rep, cash and drops to gear up anyway.

When I have nothing to do between raids, it will be the same as aways. Grind some cash, rep or heroics.
bomjac

Next

Return to WotLK