[Suggestion] Relic Itemization

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

[Suggestion] Relic Itemization

Postby Lemondish » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:15 am

I posted a quick suggestion over in the WoW forums in regards to relic itemization I think should be considered. I may be one of the few who feels this way, but I personally would prefer a base stat increase over an ability specific (and sometimes role and fight specific) effect. Instead of being given 352 block value for 5 seconds on each 9 second Judgment cast, I would honestly prefer 42 Stamina, a blue socket, 18 hit and 21 defense.

Though I may just be a freak of nature, I honestly believe that to be a way better use of my slot.

So my relic idea is in a few steps...

1. Get rid of the class specific nature of them. No more Librams, Totems, Idols and Sigils. Just relics, usable by Death Knights, Paladins, Shaman, and Druids.
2. Remove the ability specific nature of them. Instead of having a Totem for Lightning Bolt's damage, or an Idol for a Moonkin's Starfire, or a Libram for Holy Light we could simply have a relic item with caster stats desirable by all three.
3. Eat pie.

This would alleviate having to design relics for a spatter of abilities from 12 different specs while providing exactly what we want from a ranged weapon slot just without the actual weapon portion of it.

What do you guys think?
Lemondish

Postby majiben » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:17 am

A good idea from a game mechanics veiw but it does clash with Flavor/Lore mechanics. I don't really care either way.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Lore » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:17 am

I like relics exactly how they are. I think the "gun slot" approach is boring, and prefer the "class-specific trinket slot" style for sheer fun factor.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Sockpuppet » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:18 am

Where is

4. ???
5. Profit!

? This is an outrage!
Sunburns are clearly our body's way of telling us we need to hurry up and evolve some armor plating or something.
Sockpuppet

Postby mazater » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:18 am

I still don't get why people post suggestions here.
Sure, GC might spy over here every now and then, but still....

Oh well, I'll do the #3
mazater

Postby Lemondish » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:21 am

Mazater wrote:I still don't get why people post suggestions here.
Sure, GC might spy over here every now and then, but still....

Oh well, I'll do the #3

I basically just want your thoughts as a tankadin community. If the community I look up to prefers to have an ability specific slot that limits our already limited class in terms of mitigation and effective health I really would like to understand why because it may be some crazy insight that I've never thought of.

I understand it may clash with lore, but to be honest, World of Lorecraft this is not. Space Goats case in point. I personally don't have much fun out of my relic slot. Its another passive buff that really provides me with nothing (though I am looking at some nice synergy with the bv relic and the new ShoR).
Lemondish

Postby Chunes » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:40 am

have our cake (or pie i guess) and eat it too?

relic slot has a fun trinket effect AND give stats.

5) ???
6) profit!
Chunes

Postby Lore » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:15 am

Stats are not the end-all be-all of tanking.

Looking at the Libram of Obstruction. A while ago, I did some math in this thread that shows it to be a pretty substantial increase in threat (and damage) per second -- significantly more than 18 hit rating is likely to give you.

Furthermore, the ~458 block value it gives (remember, it's increased by Redoubt) will increase your average time to live by substantially more than 42 stamina (worth about 520 HP all said and done). The only exception is in a situation where you would be 1-shot. Plus, it's damage prevented and not damage taken, so it doesn't need to be healed.

The only thing the libram doesn't have over the gun is defense rating.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby semp » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:27 am

I wish there was a profession that could craft relics, so we aren't waiting for a random drop to fill that slot.
semp

Postby Aertho » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:30 am

1. Quest Items

You loot [Relic Of Indiscriminate Potential].

This item begins a quest.

A druid, shaman, paladin or death knight takes the relic to any class trainer, and are given the option of any of a multitude of possible relics. Like if a druid of any spec looted a [Relic Of Indiscriminate Potential] from Nethekurse, the trainers in Moonglade would give us the option to choose for it to be fashioned into any of the Rare quality Idols in the game, like:

Idol of the Ivory Moongoddes
Harold's Rejuvenating Brooch
Idol of the Avenger
Idol of the Emerald Queen
Idol of Feral Shadows
Idol of Ursoc
Idol of the Raven Goddess

Likewise, a Shaman, Paladin or Death Knight would be able to turn in any Relic quest starters obtained from Nethekurse, Abassador Hellmaw, Darkweaver Syth, Pandemonius, the Cache of the Legion, etc into their corresponding class trainers.

If a different class picks up the item, they also get the quest, but they merely turn it into their class trainer for gold. Cue rogue and warrior class trainer flavor text. "Whuddafuk you bring me this for? Eh, heer's sum gold I guess."
Aertho

Postby Aertho » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:30 am

semp wrote:I wish there was a profession that could craft relics, so we aren't waiting for a random drop to fill that slot.

Inscription, coulda been a contender.
Aertho

Postby Blutreich » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:06 am

Lore wrote:Stats are not the end-all be-all of tanking.

Looking at the Libram of Obstruction. A while ago, I did some math in this thread that shows it to be a pretty substantial increase in threat (and damage) per second -- significantly more than 18 hit rating is likely to give you.

Furthermore, the ~458 block value it gives (remember, it's increased by Redoubt) will increase your average time to live by substantially more than 42 stamina (worth about 520 HP all said and done). The only exception is in a situation where you would be 1-shot. Plus, it's damage prevented and not damage taken, so it doesn't need to be healed.

wow a usefull libram!
Going to spend my cab money on more shots and just take the ambulance home
Blutreich

Postby Lore » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:11 am

Blutreich wrote:

wow a usefull libram!

We had the exact same thing at 70 in the form of Tome of the Lightbringer. Granted, it was a BT drop, but all of the above stood true as well in comparison to equal-level guns.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby agamemnoch » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:15 am

I too prefer the class specific one, but would TOTALLY love something akin to sunmotes. Why not have a vendor in a cathedral have a shammy, druid, pally, etc and turn in the other relic + some other item for the equiv relic for your class.

Also, I would also love to have relics that had actual stats, but with flavor. I'd prefer a holy pally relic to be something like

Libram of Holyness (heh)
21 stamina
15 intelligence
Your critical heals splash a 5yd area around the target with divine light, healing anyone within for 30% of your total heal.

Libram of Protection:
26 Stamina
19 strength
When a block is made, the next 3 attack swings do 1.5 damage.
Silencing spells do 300 damage instead
Armory Link Above
agamemnoch

Postby Amarant_Pally » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:19 am

Lore wrote:
Blutreich wrote:

wow a usefull libram!

We had the exact same thing at 70 in the form of Tome of the Lightbringer. Granted, it was a BT drop, but all of the above stood true as well in comparison to equal-level guns.

BT Libram...does...not...exist... :(
Amarant_Pally

Next

Return to WotLK