Remove Advertisements

Couple of tips for starting wrath

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Couple of tips for starting wrath

Postby ecn » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:49 am

If you are like me and still have quite a few quests left in netherstorm or SMV - clean out your quest log, go pick up 25 quests, complete them, but don't turn them in. I was only able to get 21 in Netherstorm, so I picked up 4 in SMV. I am going to set my hearth to M.Harbor and log out in Netherstorm.

Install Wrath, turn in 21 quests in netherstorm, use BT neck to get to SMV, turn in 4 quests, hearth to M.Harbor (or shatt/stormwind depending on what zone you want to start on in northend). I figure it won't be a ton of exp, but it should give you a nice little boost out of the gate.

On starting locations:
There are two starting zones you can pick from - B.Tundra and H.Fjord. Both have 130 quests total in the zone. Most people know about stormwind harbor, which leads to B.Tundra and I think a lot of people will assume that is the only starting zone. Apparently there are a lot more netrual quest in B.Tundra leaving you to fight both hoard and alliance for quest objectives. M.Harbor has a new boat that takes you to H.Fjord. I'm going here. Both zones have an instance. If you are intersted in the quest rewards, I think you get a blue neck and weapon from B.tundra and two trinkets from H.Fjord. From what I have read the are all about on par with ZA loot with the trinkets being a little better than the weapon/neck.
ecn

Postby crabcrouton » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:10 pm

Thanks for the post, good advice all around. I'll chime in with a few suggestions too if that's ok.

Buy Vellum IIs and have a friendly enchanter put enchants on them ahead of time. Don't go for the expensive stuff; leveling gear will be replaced fast. I went with Precise Strikes, +15 Str on Bracers, 6 stats on chest, 12 agi on cloak, and Deathfrost (leveling as Ret). Leg enchants are too expensive on my server and head/shoulder enchants are out of my budget.

Enchanting mats are taking a nosedive right now as people liquidate their stashes. Perfect time to upgrade to all 18 slot bags, even your bank bags, by buying essences and have a tailor friend turn them into bags.

Use up any weapon oils/sharpening stones you have lying around, they're going to be obsolete at 80 with no replacements.

Max out cooking, asap. LK well-fed buffs are ridiculous. +Str/stam buffs for an hour... my alchemist is crying inside.
crabcrouton

Postby Belloc » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:34 pm

If you don't want to do a lot of running around, you could try my plan:

Finish all Ogri'la dailies, Isle of QD dailies, and Shattrath dailies (these include daily instance and heroic). Log out in Ogri'la with your hearth set to Isle of QD. When you have WotLK installed, log in, turn in at Ogri'la, hearth, turn in all Isle quests, scroll to Shatt, turn in, and finally take the portal to Stormwind or IF (depending on where you want to start in WotLK).

All of these quests are located in a very small area and can be turned in with minimal running around, getting you to Northrend asap!
Belloc

Postby Cowadin » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:37 pm

Belloc wrote:If you don't want to do a lot of running around, you could try my plan:

Finish all Ogri'la dailies, Isle of QD dailies, and Shattrath dailies (these include daily instance and heroic). Log out in Ogri'la with your hearth set to Isle of QD. When you have WotLK installed, log in, turn in at Ogri'la, hearth, turn in all Isle quests, scroll to Shatt, turn in, and finally take the portal to Stormwind or IF (depending on where you want to start in WotLK).

All of these quests are located in a very small area and can be turned in with minimal running around, getting you to Northrend asap!

im pretty sure the daily quests award no experience, however don't have a link to confirm this.

Tankadin. Pew Pew.
Cowadin

Postby Belloc » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:38 pm

Cowadin wrote:
Belloc wrote:If you don't want to do a lot of running around, you could try my plan:

im pretty sure the daily quests award no experience, however don't have a link to confirm this.
I participated in the beta and they most certainly did grant me XP.
Belloc

Postby Elsie » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:51 pm

1. Set hearth to Brill
2. Log out in Ogri'la
3. Wait for WOTLK
4. Log in
5. Turn in Ogri'la Dailies (4)
6. Use the BT Necklace
7. Turn in Netherwing Dailies (7)
8. Fly to Skettis, turn in dailies. (2)
9. Fly to Shattrath, turn in dailies (5)
10. Take portal to Isle of QD, turn in Dailies (7) <~ 4 not done due to 9500 xp isntead of 10,000+
11. Use scroll of teleportant to reach Shattrath.
12. Take portal to Ogrimmar.
13. Take flight to Borean Tundra. Do quests. Get tabard.
14. Hearth to Brill.
15. Take flight to Howling Fjord. Begin.

edit: Might be better just to cut out ogri'la and start in Netherwing. I'm not exalted with Ogri'la though, so that's where my feet take me.

Yes this adds a bit of leg work, but also caps out your dailies with less effort (skettis is on the way to shatt from BT). You can even knock the Isle or Skettis out the picture if you have enough group quests left over in Shadowmoon Valley.
Shattrath dailies include the 2 instance dailies and PvP daily. All three scale with level.

I would also recommend trying to get items such as the Head of Magtheridon or the orb off Kael'thas since those quests are likely to give more experience. As a rule of thumb, more gold from the quest implies more experience points converted to gold.
Last edited by Elsie on Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elsie

Postby Bovion » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:57 pm

my plan is to log out on Netherwing ridge

turn in Nw dailies
hearth to shatt, turn in those dailies
port to isle, turn in those dailies
use scroll from said daily to port to shatt

take Silvermoon portal, then use orb to get to UC

take zep to Howling Fjord

profit
Bovion

Postby Belloc » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:05 pm

Elsie wrote:

1. Set hearth to Brill
2. Log out in Ogri'la
3. Wait for WOTLK
4. Log in
5. Turn in Ogri'la Dailies (4)
6. Use the BT Necklace
7. Turn in Netherwing Dailies (7)
8. Fly to Skettis, turn in dailies. (2)
9. Fly to Shattrath, turn in dailies (5)
10. Take portal to Isle of QD, turn in Dailies (7) <~ 4 not done due to 9500 xp isntead of 10,000+
11. Use scroll of teleportant to reach Shattrath.
12. Take portal to Ogrimmar.
13. Take flight to Borean Tundra. Do quests. Get tabard.
14. Hearth to Brill.
15. Take flight to Howling Fjord. Begin.

edit: Might be better just to cut out ogri'la and start in Netherwing. I'm not exalted with Ogri'la though, so that's where my feet take me.

Yes this adds a bit of leg work, but also caps out your dailies with less effort (skettis is on the way to shatt from BT). You can even knock the Isle or Skettis out the picture if you have enough group quests left over in Shadowmoon Valley.
Shattrath dailies include the 2 instance dailies and PvP daily. All three scale with level.

I would also recommend trying to get items such as the Head of Magtheridon or the orb off Kael'thas since those quests are likely to give more experience. As a rule of thumb, more gold from the quest implies more experience points converted to gold.

That plan is superior to mine, for sure.

And if I had an epic flyer on my paladin, I'd be adopting it as my own :)
Belloc

Postby daemonym » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:09 pm

Elsie wrote:13. Take flight to Borean Tundra. Do quests. Get tabard.

which tabard would this be? trying to get a starting zone closest to the kirin'tor if possible =|
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby Elsie » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:15 pm

And if I had an epic flyer on my paladin, I'd be adopting it as my own

Set Hearth to Brill.
Start in Ogri'la. Turn in Ogri'la Dailies (4).
Take Skettis Shuttle, turn in Dailies (3).
Fly to nearest city, turn in spirit tower daily (1).
Take flight path to Shattrath. Turn in Dailies (5).
Take Portal to Isle. Turn in Dailies (11)
Use scroll to Shattrath.
OPTION: Take Flight path to Nagrand. Turn in Halaa Daily (1). Fly back to Shattrath.
Proceed to Borean Tundra / hearth to Brill / etc.

which tabard would this be? trying to get a starting zone closest to the kirin'tor if possible =|

Warsong Offensive [horde]. If you want Kirin'tor you might be better off setting your hearth in Ogrimmar and doing Howling Fjord starting area first (which also has its tabard iirc). I don't know about HF, but BT leads you into the Nexus area which is pretty much Kirin'tor-based. Then if you do Nexus instances you can get rep for the other side of the world.

My guide was mostly to limit pvp encounters on a populated server under the assumption most people will go to Borean Tundra first. The beginning Horde area is very "enclosed off" from shared areas, such as the PETA stuff.
Elsie

Postby Taragor » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:04 pm

Hi there, sorry if this has been explained, but i still dont get what you all mean by getting tabbard. Is it ONLY for gaining rep, and if so I thought i read that was for lvl 80. I guess I am starting to feel overwhelmed by all i will need to do. I just want to quest in an area that will give best chance at new tanking gear and throwing me into instances to also get best tanking gear. That being said....

1. What is the tabbard in question and why do we need it?
2. Which are supports the better quests for tank gear.

It should be noted im not on a PVP server.

Thanks!
Taragor

Postby Arcand » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:06 pm

Well...dang. I was definitely going to go Howling Fjord, but my best 'warrior-tank' weapon is a Sun Eater and I'm still wearing the Barbed Choker of Discipline.

Looks like I have a date with the tundra. :roll:
Arcand

Postby Belloc » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:16 pm

Arcand wrote:Well...dang. I was definitely going to go Howling Fjord, but my best 'warrior-tank' weapon is a Sun Eater and I'm still wearing the Barbed Choker of Discipline.

Looks like I have a date with the tundra. :roll:

I don't quite understand why you feel the need to go to the Tundra? I can't imagine any gear issues you'd have in Howling Fjord.
Belloc

Postby sherck » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:19 pm

My plan....

1. Load WoTLK, turn on computer, reload WoTLK, wait 5 hours to finally be allowed on the server, reload WoTLK due to corruption errors, and finally get a stable copy up after 14 hours of work.

2. Head to Northlands and take 1.45 hours to walk across the first town due to lag.

3. Get first quest in Northlands and have the world servers crash because I was the 4,503,305,440 toon to take that quest.

4. Get frustered, throw my laptop out the window and then have to go thru the entire process again with my backup laptop.

5. ????

6. Profit !

Everyone, have fun on Thursday and be prepared to find humor in everything you encounter.

Cheers,
sherck

Postby Elsie » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:54 pm

Hi there, sorry if this has been explained, but i still dont get what you all mean by getting tabbard. Is it ONLY for gaining rep, and if so I thought i read that was for lvl 80. I guess I am starting to feel overwhelmed by all i will need to do. I just want to quest in an area that will give best chance at new tanking gear and throwing me into instances to also get best tanking gear. That being said....

1. What is the tabbard in question and why do we need it?
2. Which are supports the better quests for tank gear.

It should be noted im not on a PVP server.

The tabard is solely for reputation. If you level in Howling Fjord, the quests will presumably give you reputation with the local faction. When you do Utgarde Keep, you will be gaining faction with the Borean Tundra faction.

By the time you are done the starting area (Howling Fjord), you will logically progress to Dragonblight or Grizzly Hills. This means to get Borean Tundra local faction reputation, you would have to re-grind green quests which isn't particularly time efficient and can always be done at a later time when you have a flying mount or at level 80 since you can get a monetary profit (experience points get converted into gold as is true for the present).

So, if you get the Tabard, you will already be friendly (from the starting quests) or higher. Then you will undoubtedly do Utgarde Keep and other instances on that side of the continent - probably even venturing as far as Azjol-Nerub. Meanwhile you will also have the tabard for Howling Fjord local reputation in case the 130 quests in HF do not cap you. Then when you move on to heroics and such you will have still be able to gain reputation without stopping to grind up to friendly. This is the "Champion" system, and such a method is very efficient as you will undoubtly repeat instances for friends or gear or fun or what-have-you.

Now, you're on a PvE server. So you can pretty much ignore all of that and just head straight to Northrend (dailies are still pretty efficient though, for a 1-time thing). The method I posted is of great aid on PvP servers because you can potentially out-level the opposing faction and be relatively safe in higher level zones where the masses haven't infested yet.

My suggestion? Take your time. You have no worries about something killing you. There's no "race" or anything of the sort on a PvE server except for grabbing quest mobs. Blizzard usually, when making a new zone, vastly increases the spawn rate on key mobs anyway. Isle of Quel'Danas was a perfect example of this. People are even more likely to team up on PvE servers - probably.
Heck, there's even a benefit to doing both starting zones. When you are done Howling Fjord, Borean Tundra quests can be done at a blazing speed since you will out-level them, and you will presumably have some better gear.

Don't worry about where better gear comes from. Your current gear is completely fine for the expansion and most of the end gear you want is from (1) reputation (2) heroics (3) higher level quests. A tier 4 / 5 or especially badge geared paladin can easily tank the new Ring of Blood and non-heroics. Most quests follow the same rules of Ghostlands and Outlands by offering a variety of rewards for any class. So no longer will a paladin have to choose whether he prefers the wand or off-hand orb from a quest. Also, DPS gear is generally better most of the way even in a protection spec as far as questing goes. So you're safe with your previous gear for instances and any possible loot for questing.

Finally, don't get overwhelmed. There's always going to be lots of information for those who want to know. However, most of that information is obtainable by just playing the game as you go. Whether or not you know of Quest X gives Y item which is slightly ahead of item Z that drops in Zone U till Zone U gives way to quest or zone P which ends up better is irrevelant. Just play the game and fall victim to the story - that's the benefit to PvE.

PvP I gotta put me some allies in their place. Under my boots.
Elsie

Next

Return to WotLK