WotLK DVD

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Yukionna » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:03 pm

We're through a roadrunner router... I'm wireless, he's not, but could be... we have extra wireless thingys.
Yukionna

Postby moduspwnens » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:03 pm

Dingot0m wrote:Should work fine, I've done it myself a few times. But you'd still have to come up with a way of moving it from one computer to another. If they towers are right next to eachother though, that shouldn't be much of a problem. I mean, I don't know how you're connected to the web, but if it's through wireless/a router you should already have some sort of connection with eachother, no? Not sure here, LAN/networking was never my strongest side, I just pray it works and it usually does.

If you don't have a router, the best way would probably be via a crossover cable. It allows your computers to network to each other. They're fairly simple, really. Any RadioShack should have one.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Dingot0m » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:05 pm

moduspwnens wrote:
Dingot0m wrote:Should work fine, I've done it myself a few times. But you'd still have to come up with a way of moving it from one computer to another. If they towers are right next to eachother though, that shouldn't be much of a problem. I mean, I don't know how you're connected to the web, but if it's through wireless/a router you should already have some sort of connection with eachother, no? Not sure here, LAN/networking was never my strongest side, I just pray it works and it usually does.

If you don't have a router, the best way would probably be via a crossover cable. It allows your computers to network to each other. They're fairly simple, really. Any RadioShack should have one.

Yeah, I know, but if they both are connected to the same internet connection odds are there's a router of some sorts involved, idk.
Dingot0m
Maintankadonor

Postby moduspwnens » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:06 pm

Dingot0m wrote:
moduspwnens wrote:

Yeah, I know, but if they both are connected to the same internet connection odds are there's a router of some sorts involved, idk.

Your deductive skills > my deductive skills.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Yukionna » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:07 pm

LOL we have a router. I'm wireless~
Yukionna

Postby Dingot0m » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:08 pm

If you're both hooked up to the same router, should be fairly easy. Just share the folder in question and have the other computer pick it up over the network.
Dingot0m
Maintankadonor

Postby Yukionna » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:11 pm

I'll look into it that way then.

Thanks MainTankadin <333
Yukionna

Postby Kethion » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:01 pm

It depends if they split the MPQ files or not. If they do you can just bring them over 1/2 at a time.
Kethion

Postby phaqueue » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:31 pm

Dingot0m wrote:If you're both hooked up to the same router, should be fairly easy. Just share the folder in question and have the other computer pick it up over the network.

one thing that might trip you up here...

make sure on each computer
- right click on "My Computer"
- Click on "properties" in the menu that comes up
- Click on the "Computer Name" tab
-Check where it says "workgroup" and make sure they are the same, you will be able to find the shared folders long as they are on the same workgroup...
- It will be possible to actually just copy the WoW folder over - just make sure he saves his WTF and Interface folders separately so that he can copy them into the new folder... it's how I put wow on my laptop without having to install it

if you have any questions/problems - feel free to PM me I'll see what I can do to help :)
phaqueue

Postby kylone » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:31 pm

I'm an IT guy, so I'll chip in a bit.
Make sure that your workgroups are the same. You can check this by going to your System control panel. The easiest way to get to this is to Right Click on My Computer (or Computer on Windows Vista) and click Properties.
Go to the Computer Name tab (#2 tab) and look at the Workgroup name. All that matters is that both names are the same. (Usually MSHOME or WORKGROUP, but it doesn't really matter.) The specific steps are a bit different between XP and Vista, but generally you go through a wizard to set up file sharing. The built-in Windows Help is pretty good at explaining the steps, if your not sure.
One last thing, software Firewalls (say, like the one in Norton Internet Security) block file sharing as part of protecting your computer. You'll need to let it know that you actually WANT to use it. I've had a decent amount of frustration with these, so I sometimes flat out disable the Firewall portion while doing something like this. Just make sure that your Router's Firewall is turned on, for safety.
If you run into any probs, let us know, and we'll try to help. :wink:

Edit: I'm #2 on this, it seems.
Lv 70 Human Paladin Mythi, Emerald Dream
LV 75 Blood Elf Paladin Miere, Lightning Hoof
(deployed, but squeezing out time on 'public' wifi)
kylone

Postby Karock » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:58 pm

BTW It seems like it's been answered but I just wanted to state it straight out for you...

You can copy your WoW folder to any new computer and it will work fine, you don't have to go through the install process as WoW is standalone.

As far as file sharing goes if you haven't had enough info here you can just google file sharing PC to PC (or PC to Mac, etc whatever you need) and find various step by step guides to moving your files over a router.
Karock

Postby Makaijin » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:14 am

If both computers are connected to the same network and you can get sharing working, then the most easy way is just just share the DVD drive itself. Then run the installer from the shared DVD drive.
Makaijin

Postby MrDuck » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:32 am

Yukionna wrote:LOL we have a router. I'm wireless~
That's no problem, if i understand it correctly, there's a router with builtin AP or something like that, and you're connected through it by wifi, and he's plugged to that router's lan port with a cable,right?

Then it's no problem to copy the installation files over lan and it'll most likely be the fastest way even. Disable all firewals and such useless stuff if you'll have troubles seeing the other pc or accessing it. Firewalls are basically of very little use if you're behind a router without DMZ (demilitarized zone) or some ports redirected to either of machines anyways.
MrDuck

Postby Morganim » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:10 am

DVD drives are like 40 australian dollars, here, so really they cant be much more anywhere else, why not just fork out a small amount of cash for a drive and save a lot of time and headaches
Morganim

Postby Caelia » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:03 am

one way is to go download and install xampp. from there make the wotlk dvd an image using a program like alcohol 120 or something like that. Then start the apache server then put the image in the htdocs folder of xampp so basically you made a web server on your router and are hosting the file there, then get the other computer to go to that url its usually something like http://192.168.0.# then just download it, dunno if it was mentioned to try it but lots of way to do it.
In Progress: Fury Warrior: Tailwhip
All Retired: Holy Priest:Appletons | DK Blood Tank: Dreadborne | Prot Paladin: Welsh
Caelia

PreviousNext

Return to WotLK