WotLK DVD

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Justincase » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:51 am

Makaijin wrote:If both computers are connected to the same network and you can get sharing working, then the most easy way is just just share the DVD drive itself. Then run the installer from the shared DVD drive.

As Makajin Said

both PC's should be on the same Network
Share the DVD on the network
Then go to the other PC and map network drive the shared Folder (i.e \\ComputerName\D or \\ 192.168.x.x\D where D should be you DVD shared on the network

go back to my computer and you will see a new drive letter i.e. Z:
Right Klick open and you will find the Setup File.

And voila you can install

Have fun
Justincase

Postby Zironic » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:36 am

Personally what I do is just send the whole WoW folder around :P
Zironic

Postby Tankznspankz » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:40 am

Tankznspankz

Postby Obrimos » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:55 am

Yukionna wrote:Would it not work to just install the game on my machine and take it folder by folder to his?

In case nobody answered this,yes, this works fine.

World of Warcraft doesn't interact with the registry beyond 2 keys; Where Am I and Who Am I, basically.

You never need to actually install WoW. You can copy the entire folder to his computer, if you like, and it'll work like a charm. I've only ever installed it on one PC, and I don't even own it anymore :P.

I'd suggest hooking them both up through an etherenet cable, though, and creating a folder on his machine, name it something like "Lich King Transfer Folder", right click on it, click sharing, and click "Enable Sharing". Go to the security options, give Everyone (the group, Everyone) Full Control. Then open a command prompt. Type in "IPConfig" and hit enter. Write down the IP address. Then go to your computer, open the Run command box, and type in the IP address with two backslashes infront of it (so, for example, "\\169.254.42.42") and hit enter. You should see the Lich King Transfer folder. Just copy the DVD's files into it.

Boom, you're done.
Obrimos

Postby Whait » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:50 pm

install wow on the good computer, take a hard drive and copy the entire directory onto it the "World of Warcraft" folder..bam portable wow, its how i play it at work. no need fussin with lan or crazy .rar files an dall the thumb drive hoppin
Whait

Postby Kelaan » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:50 pm

Elsie wrote:I would do this, except I would just transfer the iso over a LAN rather than zipping it. Compressing a file can take a long time.

^-- This. Copying ~5g over the lan may take 20-40 minutes, but Compressing first will often be slower: it's a bottleneck in your CPU rather than in your I/O subsystem, depending on how old your machines are.
Kelaan

Postby mavfin » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:14 pm

Elsie wrote:I would do this, except I would just transfer the iso over a LAN rather than zipping it. Compressing a file can take a long time.

^^This

Try sharing the DVD drive off the one for the install if you're unable to copy it. Might take a while, but it should work if you have the cable. Just don't do it over wireless....
--Mav
mavfin

Postby Vanifae » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:22 pm

You can network and share the DVD drive if you really want to.

I think getting a DVD drive is probably a viable option and fairly cheap.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Celles » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:59 pm

I just copied all my WoW system files post install to my external HD, hooked that thing up to computer2 and moved the copied files onto that computer. It worked out just fine and was easy peasy.
Celles

Postby fafhrd » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:08 pm

My experience with WoW has always been that there's no particular need to actually install it. If you have a working install on one computer, can just copy the whole thing to a different computer, and other than having to change things like screen resolution, it just works. I've moved the same install from my ancient P3 to my now ancient laptop to my new desktop without much trouble (except the directory is now something like 15gigs from old screenshots and other junk).

You can probably just install wrath on your machine, patch it up, then use your flash drives or a network share to copy the directory over.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Eizen » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:53 pm

You can:

1.)If your in a network which you are if you use a router then you can share your DVD drive while the wow DVD is inside and he can access it from his computer and install it through the network.

2.)Share your installed wow directory where you installed your game and have him copy it to his machine and just log on with his account instead?

3.)Use winrar to compress what ever it is into multiple archives such as various archives of 900MB each and copy them over to his machine then uncompress.

4.) You can just download the game/expansion via the wow website.

5.) Go buy an external DVD drive but make sure theres a 30day return policy. Install wow using it and then return it.
Eizen

Previous

Return to WotLK