Remove Advertisements

WotLK DVD

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

WotLK DVD

Postby Yukionna » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:30 pm

Hello~

Between my boyfriend and I we have 2 computers and 2 accounts and will be buying 2 Wrath DVDs =D

The problem is the computer he has now (his other one died so it's back to an old one) doesn't have a DVD reader on it and MY computer is a HP under warranty so I don't wanna break it apart.

We have handy dandy flash drives (2gig)... Was wondering if it will be possible to somehow move my game 2 gigs at a time to his machine... without corrupting anything?

maybe even just wrath itself? since the game is quite large.

Doubt it will be available on torrent sites within the first couple of days.

Help Help MainTankadin!!!!
Yukionna

Postby Pelendralaar » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:52 pm

is it possible that the computer is able to support the DVD drive from the other computer? i would suggest removing the dvd rom drive and installing it and drivers onto the other computer and then install the game.

I'm not certain how successful it will be pulling the information off the DVD onto a flash drive and running the install file from the zip onto the computer. It may be possible however you may need a larger flash drive or a portable HDD.
Pelendralaar

Postby Dingot0m » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:03 pm

Make an image of the DVD and split it up with WinRAR and copy it over piece by piece on your flash drive and mount it with Daemon Tools or something.
Dingot0m
Maintankadonor

Postby Yukionna » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:05 pm

Can't do it that way, I don't wanna tear this machine apart.

How do people who put up torrents get the file? Maybe I can "upload" it to him somehow *not sure how*?

Edit: thanks ^^^ I'll tell him that and let him figure that stuff out hehe.
Yukionna

Postby Dingot0m » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:08 pm

It's pretty simple, get any software that can make an image of a DVD (can't help on any names here, haven't done it in ages), then rar/zip the image, there should be a selection somewhere that you wanna split it into several pieces and how big they should be. Then copy all the files, unrar/-zip it and use Daemon Tools or a similar piece of software to mount the image.
Dingot0m
Maintankadonor

Postby Yukionna » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:11 pm

Sounds like a plan =D

Thanks for the info. ^^
Yukionna

Postby Elsie » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:15 pm

It's pretty simple, get any software that can make an image of a DVD (can't help on any names here, haven't done it in ages), then rar/zip the image, there should be a selection somewhere that you wanna split it into several pieces and how big they should be. Then copy all the files, unrar/-zip it and use Daemon Tools or a similar piece of software to mount the image.

I would do this, except I would just transfer the iso over a LAN rather than zipping it. Compressing a file can take a long time.
Elsie

Postby Dingot0m » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:16 pm

Good point, I was just hung up in the mentioned flash drive and forgot all other options :]
Dingot0m
Maintankadonor

Postby bomjac » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:21 pm

Can you physically get both machines in the one place and network them together through the LAN ports, USB or wireless ? That would be another option to copy the files across.

USB hard drive is the way to go. Surely you know someone whose you could borrow.

Edited after I realise some of post was not relevant and just plain stupid.
Last edited by bomjac on Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bomjac

Postby Dingot0m » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:24 pm

Can you physically get both machines in the one place and network them together through the LAN ports, USB or wireless ? That would be another option to copy the files across.

USB hard drive is the way to go. Surely you know someone whose you could borrow.

Well, patches can be downloaded though, this was mostly about the DVD itself I think. But you're right, a USB drive is probably the best way to go at it for moving the image itself. And if you get that you might aswell throw in the patches aswell :)

EDIT: I forgot to quote you at first, did you just remove the part of the post that I actually meant to quote? :>
Dingot0m
Maintankadonor

Postby moduspwnens » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:30 pm

Tbh, if your computer doesn't have a DVD reader, it's probably a good time to stop puttin off buyin a new one. They did raise the system requirements, and Shatt was bad enough. I expect Dalaran to be rape.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Yukionna » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:52 pm

He played beta on said machine just fine ^^ Going to get a laptop but probably not until after christmas after presents for (both) families are bought.

How would I do the LAN? I can get both towers right next to each other... Can I just hook them up with a eithernet cable?
Yukionna

Postby Elsie » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:53 pm

Technically, he could also compress the game install and create a registry copy of WoW-related items and port it that way, but it's more complicated ^.~
Elsie

Postby Yukionna » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:56 pm

Would it not work to just install the game on my machine and take it folder by folder to his?
Yukionna

Postby Dingot0m » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:01 pm

Should work fine, I've done it myself a few times. But you'd still have to come up with a way of moving it from one computer to another. If they towers are right next to eachother though, that shouldn't be much of a problem. I mean, I don't know how you're connected to the web, but if it's through wireless/a router you should already have some sort of connection with eachother, no? Not sure here, LAN/networking was never my strongest side, I just pray it works and it usually does.
Dingot0m
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to WotLK