Remove Advertisements

Starting area wotlk - time to change :) one chance

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Starting area wotlk - time to change :) one chance

Postby Merodyn » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:09 pm

So if you want to powerlevel in wotlk u will get one chance to choose starting area in northern. If you want to save the time that is.

Im planning to follow this guy's free guide:
http://www.wow-pro.com/node/1743

So i was thinking, which place do u think will be the least popular. Howling Fjord or Borean Tundra, any psychologist who can analyze the names and decide which will be the most popular?:)

Also which will the best, in your opinion, to level as ret/or in general asap. I havent played BETA, and as i said im gonna choose one and stick with it to level 62 +
ImageImage
Merodyn

Postby Bovion » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:21 pm

borean will probably be more crowded since you get there from org..I'm going to howling so I can talk to the fishing trainer :lol:
Bovion

Postby Merodyn » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:30 pm

Bovion wrote:borean will probably be more crowded since you get there from org..I'm going to howling so I can talk to the fishing trainer :lol:

ah okey, great :)

on my server the ratio of horde and allaince is like 70 horde and 30 allaince so that might be a good spot.
ImageImage
Merodyn

Postby Chunes » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:35 pm

HF is also 10x prettier, so i'd imagine that would attract more people from the get go.

I know i'm going to start in HF rather than Borean, but that's simply because i have more experience questing there than in borean from my time spent in the beta.
Chunes

Postby Fridmarr » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:42 pm

If it's anything like beta, Borean Tundra seemed to be a lot more popular. I imagine that's because you can get there from main cities.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Chunes » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:44 pm

i'm not sure if you guys know this, but howling fjord is accessible via the zepplin tower outside undercity.

so HF and Borean are both equally as accessible for anyone with a hearthstone set in shatt.
Chunes

Postby Grimmal » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:46 pm

Fridmarr wrote:If it's anything like beta, Borean Tundra seemed to be a lot more popular. I imagine that's because you can get there from main cities.

Yep, on the beta things were booming in BT compared to HF. But, I think alot of people will fill out HF just due to looks alone. It isn't nearly as dreary, and the starting instance is much easier and faster to get into.
Grimmal

Postby Chunes » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:20 pm

Grimmal wrote:
Fridmarr wrote:If it's anything like beta, Borean Tundra seemed to be a lot more popular. I imagine that's because you can get there from main cities.

Yep, on the beta things were booming in BT compared to HF. But, I think alot of people will fill out HF just due to looks alone. It isn't nearly as dreary, and the starting instance is much easier and faster to get into.

Just adding to your point, I guess for non-T5+ geared people there are actually some really good quest rewards from Borean Tundra. So i'd imagine that would also add to the desire to quest there.

All in all i would say there was no single item that caught my eye while leveling in HF, though to qualify that, i had mostly T5 and some T6 level gear.
Chunes

Postby Fridmarr » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:44 pm

Chunes wrote:i'm not sure if you guys know this, but howling fjord is accessible via the zepplin tower outside undercity.

so HF and Borean are both equally as accessible for anyone with a hearthstone set in shatt.

Well for horde that might be true. For alliance we have to get to menethil, which isn't hard, it's a short griff ride from IF, but, given that the docks in Stormwind have been "under construction" I imagine many folks will be heading there to take the boat.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Elsie » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:54 pm

Set hearth in brill. Log off pre-wotlk in Durotar. Do Warsong Hold opening areas. Hearth to Brill, go to Howling Fjord via Airship. Begin.
Elsie

Postby Sober » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:15 pm

I'm looking at the zone maps on MMO champion. Are there actually portals from shatt to the starting zones in both BT/HF?

http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/ima ... gfjord.jpg

http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/ima ... tundra.jpg
Sober

Postby Harlequina » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:27 pm

Elsie wrote:Set hearth in brill. Log off pre-wotlk in Durotar. Do Warsong Hold opening areas. Hearth to Brill, go to Howling Fjord via Airship. Begin.

Sounds like a good plan to me. :p
Harlequina

Postby MomysLidlMonsta » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:37 am

I doubt there'll be portals from shatt to the starting areas, there were none on beta at least.
I'll start questing in Dragonblight. With 70 and t4+ gear there shouldn't be a problem and there should be far less players running around
MomysLidlMonsta

Postby Grimmal » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:58 am

MomysLidlMonsta wrote:I'll start questing in Dragonblight. With 70 and t4+ gear there shouldn't be a problem and there should be far less players running around

Except that Blizzard apparently doesn't want a repeat of TBC (where so many went straight to Zang or Tero) and has level requirements of 71+ on pretty much every quest there.

As it is, you'll be grinding in instances or questing until 71-72 (72 really) in BT or HF. Then you can consider trying to skip the rush and heading elsewhere.
Grimmal

mining/herb

Postby djellum » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:02 am

is there any difference for gatherer's between the areas. I have 1 toon that is a miner and another thats an herbalist.

my tauren is the herbalist so hes at 390 currently, pally is just 375 like normal, in case levels matters.

djellum

Next

Return to WotLK