Remove Advertisements

Fishing/Cooking

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Fishing/Cooking

Postby Deflect » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:08 am

What are the main benefits of fishing and cooking in Lich King? Is it worth going through all that time leveling fishing?
Deflect

Postby vschiano2008 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:22 am

i am working on both.

i spent 50g a week in food buffs on TBC. I'd rather take 20 minutes and go farm my food for the week.

also- picked up herb/alch on a toon. not paying for pots/flask/elixirs.

also- Got my own JC now- no more paying for cuts or spending time spamming trade, lookin for the dude that has what i'm lookin for.

and.. i've always been an enchanter. most of my toons have enchanting as one profession. always have mats for whatever i need, and no tips goin anywhere.
vschiano2008

Postby Hiroko » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:39 am

http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?item=43036
http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?item=43035

just 2 of the recipes I came up with froma brief search on wowhead.
normal food can now give 40 stam for 1 hour but no evidence of a crawdad equivalent yet.
Hiroko

Postby katraya » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:18 am

I have fishing on one alt and cooking on another two. I enjoy being as self sufficient as possible, plus cooking at least gives you something to do with all that meat you pick up.

Since I don't plan on leveling either of them any time soon I suppose I should start leveling both on my paladin. :? Oh well, at least I can work on getting her the croc pets.
katraya
Maintankadonor

Postby Sober » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:06 am

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=43015

best buff food in the xpack (comes up as a table too, so food for all), paladins (especially tankadins) get the benefit from all of it. There are also expertise foods and stuff.

General rule of thumb in cooking in WotLK:

pretty much all buff foods give 40 stamina. If a northern spice is required to cook the food (i.e. you need to do cooking dailies to obtain the spices and the recipes that use them) then the non-stam buffs they provide (eg, AP, SP, expertise, crit rating, etc) is slightly better.

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=34751

vs

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=34757
Sober

Postby mazater » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:02 pm

Achievements!
mazater

Postby Fridmarr » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:05 pm

Mazater wrote:Achievements!

And several daily quests, so you can get some buffs you need for raiding while completing quests that give you some money.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Tankznspankz » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:07 pm

is not implemented, atleast it wasnt on beta.
Tankznspankz

Postby Jasari » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:34 pm

I maxed fishing/cooking on my ex-main Shadow Priest a while back. For the last few weeks since I've decided to make my Paladin my main for WotLK I've struggled with whether or not to relevel them on her.

Today I finally decided to bite the bullet and get to work. Currently at 225 fishing 298 cooking. It doesn't suck quite as much as I remembered, but then again I'm not to the 350-375 stretch of hell. And I won't even have down time in SSC to help.

I think it'll be worth it though, fishing and cooking look like they're getting buffed in wotlk and it looks like it'll be nice to have as many toons as possible to do the dailies on to make sure you have an ample supply of spices.
Jasari

Postby Fridmarr » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:50 pm

Jasari wrote:I maxed fishing/cooking on my ex-main Shadow Priest a while back. For the last few weeks since I've decided to make my Paladin my main for WotLK I've struggled with whether or not to relevel them on her.

Today I finally decided to bite the bullet and get to work. Currently at 225 fishing 298 cooking. It doesn't suck quite as much as I remembered, but then again I'm not to the 350-375 stretch of hell. And I won't even have down time in SSC to help.

I think it'll be worth it though, fishing and cooking look like they're getting buffed in wotlk and it looks like it'll be nice to have as many toons as possible to do the dailies on to make sure you have an ample supply of spices.

Well fishing is really just a time thing. What I remember being a pain about cooking at the end was that the only skill ups were from some rare fish or the highlands fish that require your fishing skill to be nearly maxed out to catch. I wouldn't put too much effort in getting those last few cooking points though, since when Thursday comes, the meat you get off of animals you are killing anyway will give you skill ups.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Jasari » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:09 pm

Fridmarr wrote:
Jasari wrote:I maxed fishing/cooking on my ex-main Shadow Priest a while back. For the last few weeks since I've decided to make my Paladin my main for WotLK I've struggled with whether or not to relevel them on her.

Well fishing is really just a time thing. What I remember being a pain about cooking at the end was that the only skill ups were from some rare fish or the highlands fish that require your fishing skill to be nearly maxed out to catch. I wouldn't put too much effort in getting those last few cooking points though, since when Thursday comes, the meat you get off of animals you are killing anyway will give you skill ups.

Yeah, cooking isn't really an issue. Fishing is what's annoying to level. I figure I should try to get to 375 though before thursday since I have nothing else to do in game before then.
Jasari

Postby guillex » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:34 pm

Aren't they making the grind a little easier?
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Zoltar » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:08 pm

Fishing is MUCH FASTER to level than it ever used to be.

Zoltar

Postby Cearn » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:09 pm

375 Fishing will not be needed for WotlK considering +100 lures. I fished outlands at 250 Fishing with maxed bonuses.
Cearn

Postby yappo » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:37 pm

Cearn wrote:375 Fishing will not be needed for WotlK considering +100 lures. I fished outlands at 250 Fishing with maxed bonuses.

That's interesting considering that I got a "Your fish got away." message with +75 lures while farming motes of water in Nagrand.
I'm not entirely clear how you handle the 125 difference in skill, even if you manage to cram out an extra 50 or so bonuses with +25 from Aquadynamic, a few enchants on gear and having already won the fishing contest to get an extra +10 bonus from that rod.

A total of 475 fishing skill is still a good baseline for avoiding lost throws, even though accidents will still happen. At 500 you shouldn't ever see a catch go astray in Outland, and I'm pretty certain they'll kick that difficulty with another 75 upwards in Northrend.
yappo

Next

Return to WotLK