Remove Advertisements

Wotlk Professions choice

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Kyi » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:45 am

Well unless they add the mythical extra meta socket to BS I'm going to stick with my JC/ENC.
Heavennearth of Zul'jin
<Seven Deadly Sins>
Kyi

Postby Deflect » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:18 am

I'm gonna stick to Blacksmithing/Mining.

They both go together, plus I get 500 health from mining while also having the ability to farm.

Blacksmithing will give me extra sockets and help me craft better gear for tanking.

Maybe in the future when I make enough gold I can switch mining out for Leatherworking for maximum stamina, but for now... I'm not going to stress it.
Deflect

Postby Ryu » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:27 am

Enchanting/Jewelcrafting
Ryu

Postby woulacrosse » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:08 am

i really dont see that much of a difference...well not enough to drop an entire prof and lvl somethin else up. nothing that should really make or break me anyways
woulacrosse

Postby Est » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:10 am

I will be a Miner / Blacksmith still myself. I love the miner buff to base Health also.
My Comrades are my weapons and I am there Shield. As long as I live they will not die. As long as they live are enemies will fail. I’am Protector, I’am Guardain, I’am Defender, I’am Paladin.
Est

Postby Helpunot » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:10 pm

With the dual specs coming out, my idea is JC, since I willl be PROT 1st, Ret 2nd the secondary professions just dont look good at all. I have never bothered with gathering and leveled up JC today for maybe 1.4k. Enchanting is my other profession and they both complement eachother for dual speccing, much as BS and LW would as well.
Helpunot

Postby gibborim » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:03 am

Majiben wrote:JC is a lot more than 1-3 stat points.

Also LW is only stamina as opposed to a variety of stats.

No, JC adds exactly 1-3 stat points comparatively to BS depending on which stats you are using to evaluate. (stam vs Def) Once you have epic quality gems to socket with, JC is 7-9 stat points worse than BS.

Also, while LW may only yield Stamina as it's raiding viable stat boost, it give a far more powerful boost than the other professions from a raw stat view. One might think you could use all that spare stamina to gem/enchant differently?

Halabar wrote:sigh....

I'll say it again. Professions are now all about what makes you the most Gold.

I don't know how much you care about your performance while doing progression content, but I would rather do money professions on an alt rather than hamper myself.

If you already have JCing, there is no reason to drop it for anything else early on. However, once you have access to epic gems, it ceases being one of the more viable selections. Also, BSing pulls to the front of the pack with epic gems available. God forbid they actually give armorsmiths the ability to add a meta-socket to their armor.
gibborim

Postby halabar » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:19 am

gibborim wrote:
Halabar wrote:sigh....

I'll say it again. Professions are now all about what makes you the most Gold.

I don't know how much you care about your performance while doing progression content, but I would rather do money professions on an alt rather than hamper myself.

If you are a bleeding edge raider, were every 10HP makes the difference, then yes, I agree, min/max to the max.

However, for the other 50% of us, having good funding is more important, since the professions will not have epic end game items this time... (goggles, stormherald, etc). I'd rather not totally gimp one toon, but do gathering and crafting on each... engineering fits the bill nicely, but perhaps I'll go JC in wrath.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Levantine » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:31 am

Well Jewelcrafting is arguably the strongest profession min/max wise, as well as having the potential to be a kickass money maker.
Levantine

Postby majiben » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:54 am

gibborim wrote:
Majiben wrote:JC is a lot more than 1-3 stat points.

Also LW is only stamina as opposed to a variety of stats.

No, JC adds exactly 1-3 stat points comparatively to BS depending on which stats you are using to evaluate. (stam vs Def) Once you have epic quality gems to socket with, JC is 7-9 stat points worse than BS.
You seem to be exculding socket bonuses and trinkets.

Assuming epic gems, JC and BS break even in value if the prismatic JC gems allow you get 3 2-slot bonuses of 9 stamina each (used stamina as an easy ilvl measure) that you would have skipped otherwise. That's not to mention the opportunity loss BS may have to activate their metas. Throw in very strong socketable trinkets and JC is easily the equal of BS.

I personally plan to go BS/JC once I get to 80 and have most of my NR mats saved up.

LW is another fine choice if you are a stamina stacker as is Mining if you want a feeder profession. None of these 4 professions is a bad choice for a tank. I'm not sure how alchemy does but I strongly dislike having to use consumables to benifit from the BoP bonuses of a profession.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Kracus » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:04 am

I was planning on going alchemy at 80, dropping mining. but after checking out the BoP gems and just the availability of crafting my own gems, I changed my mind. Going to hit 80 farm as much ore as I can for crafting BS stuff and JCing stuff once I get it up there.

My lock is a miner as well so I'll have a back up once I get to that toon.
"The sun does not grant anything, it is simply there. And flowers simply bloom. Not for anyone's sake."
I am Warlock
Kracus

Previous

Return to WotLK