Remove Advertisements

Leveling in wotlk?

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Leveling in wotlk?

Postby Broberg » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:19 am

Hello people!
So iv'e been thinking now that ret seems useless mana way according to people (haven't tested it myself cause my internet keeps making me disconnect from wow) will prot be faster? Or will it be about the same speed?

Sorry if this has been posted before.

Peace, Broberg
Broberg

Postby crabcrouton » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:25 am

It doesn't take more than Judge + CS + DS and seal procs to kill things as Ret and JotW + Replenishment is enough mana regen for that.

People were only concerned about Ret's mana in PvP and boss fights. Leveling and 5 mans shouldn't be a problem.
crabcrouton

Postby Jasari » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:42 am

The ret nerfs won't affect leveling speed much at all. You won't be using any of the real mana draining abilities much at all besides the occasional flash of light. You might run around with 90% hp and 80% mana sometimes instead of never dropping below 99% on either.

PvP was the area that these nerfs targeted and it was by far the most effected aspect of the game for ret. The posts of apocalyptic proportions are mostly from PvPers or uninformed paladins who panic at the sign of any nerfs.

Ret will always be significantly faster for leveling than Prot. That's not to say Prot isn't a "viable" leveling spec, it's a hell of a lot better at questing than it was Pre 3.0. But if you're serious about getting to 80 the most efficient way possible, you'd be gimping yourself if you don't spec ret.
Jasari

Postby Broberg » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:57 am

ah I get it now:)

Thanks for answering >.>
Broberg

Postby Spectrum » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:08 pm

I just want to add in that you have no mana issues when tanking as ret. The mana from judgements is enough to keep your main rotations going, and the mana from SA makes up the rest. It's still better mana than pre-3.0. You can still AE down the big packs (I did that with some of the scourge invasion mobs with me and a resto druid, pulling as many as I could) and you can easily knock those casters around that would normally piss off prot.

I'm going to be going ret and tanking.
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Postby Liberation » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:10 pm

Hope no one minds if I interject a couple of questions in here. I'm planning to go ret until 75ish when I can get ShoR, then go to a DPS-oriented prot spec to start doing instances to get the gear I need in preparation for heroics and Naxx. This may change as I get to that point, but it seems like prot's solo and questing viability is pretty good now with the new changes.

So I was just wondering what specs others are going to level with? Ret or prot? Or maybe even holy?

And I was wondering if you guys think Reckoning is worth it for the pure white damage increase in a leveling setting. In its current form, I won't be speccing it in a serious prot build, but there doesn't seem like there will be a lot else DPS-wise in early prot to bump up my damage while leveling. Or do you guys think Seal of Righteousness would be preferable to level with instead of Vengeance/Corruption because things won't stay alive long enough to get the full benefit out of Vengeance. In that case, Reckoning is a little bit better.

I'm considering this spec from 75-80 until I can get ready for heroics. This isn't what I intend to go raid with, but I'm sure it should be sufficient to tank normal 5-mans while leveling start gearing up for the more important content.

http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=sZ0xVAczgtcIoGoxf0x0G

Thanks for any advice!
Liberation

Postby gibborim » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:35 am

I'll be prot AoEing until the change in ratings values makes it inviable.
gibborim

Postby Ryoku » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:49 am

Will be leveling as prot all the way to 80.
Ryoku

Postby Ryu » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:59 am

Leveling as Ret, as itll be alot faster. First guild Naxx run is on Sunday.
Ryu

Postby EvilNuff » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:42 am

gibborim wrote:I'll be prot AoEing until the change in ratings values makes it inviable.

The changes in Ret spec with 3.0 made it inviable already (relative to ret). :)
EvilNuff

Postby guillex » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:45 am

Ryu wrote:Leveling as Ret, as itll be alot faster. First guild Naxx run is on Sunday.

Ret in ret gear to 75.

75 -> 77/78 = Prot in Ret gear.

78 -> 80 = Prot in prot gear.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby majiben » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:41 am

Guillex wrote:
Ryu wrote:Leveling as Ret, as itll be alot faster. First guild Naxx run is on Sunday.

Ret in ret gear to 75.

75 -> 77/78 = Prot in Ret gear.

78 -> 80 = Prot in prot gear.
I like your style.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Elsie » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:56 am

71-80 ret in ret gear
71-80 ret in prot gear (instances, I don't trust other tanks).
Elsie

Postby Shirak » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:24 am

My wife and I will be leveling together, she has a holy priest...

I'll be staying Prot as our guild has 2-3 tanks, and I'll be needed to tank those instances.

Plus think of how many I can pull at once with a healer strapped to my back :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Tuberon wrote:Tanking *is* crowd control.

You run into a crowd, and proceed to control it.
Shirak

Postby EvilNuff » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:45 pm

Shirak wrote:My wife and I will be leveling together, she has a holy priest...

I'll be staying Prot as our guild has 2-3 tanks, and I'll be needed to tank those instances.

Plus think of how many I can pull at once with a healer strapped to my back :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Keep in mind the normal instances in wrath were designed to be tanked by tanks who were dps spec'd but wearing tank gear. I tanked several of them (UK, Nexus, ZD) as ret in beta with no real problems. I can pretty much see zero reason to spec prot before 80.
EvilNuff

Next

Return to WotLK