Remove Advertisements

Instance leveling to 80

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Re: Instance leveling to 80

Postby guillex » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:03 am

firstamendme wrote:
Requirement #1, get a couple of reliable healers.

Requirement #2, see requirement #1.

Requirement #3, see requirement #1.

Best thing I've ever done is encouraging my wife's love of healspecced priests. LF3M DPS Anything gets a full group in about 10 seconds, and aoetanking quest objectives while she renews/dots is amazing. Possibly the best endorsement to get married one could ever muster.

YOUR WIFE.

MY WIFE.

DISCUSSION AND EXPLANATION ON VENT.

MAKE MY WIFE PLAAAYYYYYYYYY GAHDAMNIT!
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby firstamendme » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:21 am

YOUR WIFE.

MY WIFE.

I did the following:

Step 1: DDR home game (she's from central america and loves to dance)

Step 2: Co-Op Champions of Norrath for PS2. She never died since I was there which made it more fun, plus it had some story-telling elements and pretty pictures.

Step 3: Get her drunk and roll a new alt with her having the trial version. Do the starting area with her. Have music on and make jokes to make it fun. This works better if other friends join to make it seem more social.

Step 4: ????

Step 5: Your wife now plays warcraft and you are celabate. Grats
firstamendme

Postby guillex » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:28 am

firstamendme wrote:

YOUR WIFE.

MY WIFE.

I did the following:

Step 1: DDR home game (she's from central america and loves to dance)

Step 2: Co-Op Champions of Norrath for PS2. She never died since I was there which made it more fun, plus it had some story-telling elements and pretty pictures.

Step 3: Get her drunk and roll a new alt with her having the trial version. Do the starting area with her. Have music on and make jokes to make it fun. This works better if other friends join to make it seem more social.

Step 4: ????

Step 5: Your wife now plays warcraft and you are celabate. Grats

I doubt that my wife would let me go celibate, even if she started playing.

Christ, she'd probably get to 80 before I did, from level 1, lol ... For her, it's the controls and information that gets her all wonky.

In any case ... We'll see. I'll keep that info closely guarded though!
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Markoh » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:05 am

Belloc wrote:It's really disappointing seeing everyone wanting to hit level 80 so fast. I, too, want to get into Naxx soon, but the content in WotLK is so cool that you'll be missing some of the best stuff the game has to offer.

Remember that there will only be one tier of raid content at launch. Even if you take a leisurely pace while leveling, you'll still have plenty of time to be Ulduar-ready when it's released.

I don't know about other people but my server has 3 horde guilds that are among the top us guilds. B/c of this the race to get 80 and get firsts on naxx/obisdian sanc/ and eye of eternity pretty much require ppl to race.

I personally plan to lvl up that quickest way I can, I'm thinking instances whenever I can and quest the others.

One last thing the normal instances in wotlk were designed for ppl in green gear and not ideal specs, ie an arms warrior tanking in a little prot gear. I wouldn't worry about gear if your t5+, just don't go into instances where trash mobs are orange to you and you should be fine. Also the instances are designed to be done in 30-45 min so if you have a solid group you can blaze through them all in about a half hour.
Markoh

Postby djlar » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:14 am

I'll do instances instead of outside grinding, don't the better gear and rewards come from instances anyway? I'm also thinking of maybe transfering at least my 70 to a low pop server, but since low pop are a pain in the arse to get some group quests completed it maybe not convenient.. although I prefer that to wait in queue 1 hour to play..

When TBC was live, how much queue was back then? (considering there were much less suscribers)...
djlar

Postby Rehlachs- » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:35 am

firstamendme wrote:Step 1: DDR home game (she's from central america and loves to dance

<3 DDR games

on higher levels it's like playing a holy priest at felmyst.. without gcd :/
Rehlachs-

Postby EvilNuff » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:32 am

Markoh wrote:...
I personally plan to lvl up that quickest way I can, I'm thinking instances whenever I can and quest the others.

Instances != anything approaching the quickest way to level. Grinding instances, towards the end of beta, was around 7 hours a level. Questing was around 4 hours a level. Even if there is world server down issues questing is going to be faster. Remember after you get your 15% of a level (with rest state) in your instance you have to zone out to reset it.
EvilNuff

Postby Flake » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:41 am

When TBC came out, I was an overeager Feral Tank in a guild that wanted to "take things slow, see everything". I thought this sounded like an ok plan.

They're finally moving up to SSC for Friday. To "see how it goes".

This time around, I'm hitting 80 asap, and then I'll get that Feral to 80, and then I'll stroll through all the non-dungeon chains while I'm waiting for resets. No one says I'll forget how to read by 80.

I'm not going to miss out on checking out dungeons on "hard mode" this time around. I'll just have to put up with only having a single raid to run in.

-flake
Flake

Postby Nalyn » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:16 pm

I plan on just working my way through each zone, completing most every quest I can, there will likely be some instance runs involved as well, but we'll see. It's not like I'm going to intentionally slow myself down, but I'm not going to make any attempt to blitz up to 80, I don't see any reason, everything is only neat new and interesting once, so I'll take my time, and take everything in.

Heck, depending on how much the lag/crowds frustrate me, I may go make, and level a death knight for a night, and hope to put myself behind the curve of most of the server, so I don't have to fight other players more than the mobs themselves. Naxx is eventually going to end up like kara, and the next tier of raiding isn't going to be implimented for a bit yet, so I see little to no reason to put any extra rush into getting to 80, least the first time around.
Nalyn

Postby Rothifer » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:43 am

I am on a pvp server and absolutly HATE world pvp. My philosopizazy is that if I want to pvp, arena or BG. When I am questing all I want is gold and come WOTLK, XP.

We all know what the Isle is like on peak times so I honestly can say that "world pvp" in WOTLK starting areas will be disgusting. Sure I could tag 5 mobs and finish my quest but that means the alliance who have to wait for the respawns have nothing to do and a juicy pally is standing right there.

Sure 7 hours a lvl instance grinding is a long time and work but is it worth the aggravation of horrid world pvp to quest? My plan for WOTLK is to spec ret for questing and spec prot for instances. Prot set is good for MH and BT but ret set hasn't been my priority. So any ret gear in instances will improve questing.

In theory, questing is faster lvling except when I have to walk away from the game so I don't eat my key board.

Also, how many threads have you guys/gals seen about "ZOMG dis huntard guy sux" or "WTF M8. L2PLAY YOUR CLASS SCRUB"? You might hit 80 faster than I will in instances but the constant group I will instance with will know the ins and outs of their class and spec. Sure we might know a LITTLE more but say that LITTLE more is 1%.....enjoy my 2 cents. they are shiny and as we all know shiny things are........Rothifer has gone AFK
Rothifer

Postby Jobalq » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:28 pm

Guillex wrote:
firstamendme wrote:
Requirement #1, get a couple of reliable healers.

Requirement #2, see requirement #1.

Requirement #3, see requirement #1.

Best thing I've ever done is encouraging my wife's love of healspecced priests. LF3M DPS Anything gets a full group in about 10 seconds, and aoetanking quest objectives while she renews/dots is amazing. Possibly the best endorsement to get married one could ever muster.

YOUR WIFE.

MY WIFE.

I need my wife on that conversation too.

I don't see why we complain about threat or aggro on WotlK. I receive plenty from my wife. :lol:
"Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword". - Joanadark.
Jobalq

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:56 pm

Jobalq wrote:I don't see why we complain about threat or aggro on WotlK. I receive plenty from my wife. :lol:

You obviously need to grind more rep.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Lother » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:35 pm

Rothifer wrote:I am on a pvp server and absolutly HATE world pvp. My philosopizazy is that if I want to pvp, arena or BG. When I am questing all I want is gold and come WOTLK, XP.

This kind of statement baffles me...

You're aware that the sole purpose of a PVP server is for people who WANT world PVP. Other forms of PVP such as BGs and Arena don't care what kind of server you're on.

It would be like me deciding to join a bleeding edge progression raid guild and complaining about the fact that they always want to raid.

Don't complain about World PVP when you willingly decided to role on a server that had a huge disclaimer saying "WORLD PVP IS HERE"
Lother

Postby Est » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:46 am

I plan on doing a good bit of instances and questing. I plan on doing most of level 79 - 80 inside a instance gearing up before I hit 80 and then clear out 1 zone of quests that I will save for after I am level cap. I will not be able to play wrath into a week after it comes out so I have no issue with the time it takes since my Deployment ( US NAVY ) will not be over before wrath hits.
My Comrades are my weapons and I am there Shield. As long as I live they will not die. As long as they live are enemies will fail. I’am Protector, I’am Guardain, I’am Defender, I’am Paladin.
Est

Postby tbolt » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:17 pm

hmm so 7 hours/level in instances, at the rate of 1/2 hour per instance means that it takes about 14 runs for a level. So one run gives 7% of a level meaning that it only gives us about 1.5 bubbles worth of xp? Isn't that kind of low? I guess BC was a while ago but I seem to remember getting a lot more xp per run back then.

My plan was also to level mostly inside instances, only coming out to get the instance quests or do some mining but if that's the case I might have to suck it up and join the crazy competition over quest mobs. I'm not in a hurry to hit 80 but I am in a rush to get ShoR at 75.
tbolt

PreviousNext

Return to WotLK