Remove Advertisements

Instance leveling to 80

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Rehlachs- » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:37 am

EvilNuff wrote:Agreed from beta I would avoid this big time. I was getting 10-15% of a level while rested clearing an instance at level appropriate times, at about an hour a clear that's 6-10 hours a level...questing I was getting 3-4 hours a level.

I have no idea what you did in these instances, but an hour for a clear is very excessive. assumed that you know where to go the new leveling instances are doable in something like 20-25 minutes, some will be doable within 10 minutes.
Rehlachs-

Postby Claydon » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:38 am

That's the problem with Kazzak, there are normally 300-400 person queue's in the evening. i have seen it over 1000.

hopefully the current free transfer away from the server will help to thin out the crowds a little
Claydon

Postby Belloc » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:03 am

Worldie wrote:
Belloc wrote:From personal experience in the beta, instance leveling is not a good idea in WotLK.

First of all, you don't get nearly as much XP in instances as you do from questing. Even with rested XP, XP in instances was really small. You would be much better off taking that 5-man group and tagging every mob in the area while questing. If the area is crowded, simply move to the next zone. These zones are all really big and there are plenty of quest hubs.

You clearly don't play in a Full server with queues ;)
This is absolutely true. I've only experienced queues a few times, and those waits were less than a minute.

Regardless, we have two starting zones in WotLK and the instance XP sucks. Questing is the way to go :)
Belloc

Postby daemonym » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:14 am

Claydon wrote:That's the problem with Kazzak, there are normally 300-400 person queue's in the evening. i have seen it over 1000.

hopefully the current free transfer away from the server will help to thin out the crowds a little

what are these "person queues" that you speak of?
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby Harlequina » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:14 am

What do you think about going to the "next" level area then right away? Would it be fair (fair, as in, good XP and all quests available) for a level 70?

And in that case, which area would that be? *lazy*
Harlequina

Re: Instance leveling to 80

Postby Dianora » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:18 am

Claydon wrote:I had an idea of leveling in instances for at least the first few levels of wrath.

I'm on EU-Kazzak and it is packed with people, so I guessed that leveling would be a real pain.

I have 5 people that are willing to do this with me so getting a group will not be a time consumer.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this? will the XP gains in instances be comparable to XP gains attempting to do quests with the masses?

My goal is to level to 80 asap and get raiding. the guild I'm in want to try and get in the top5 guilds on Kazzak so quick leveling is going to be essential.

I was thinking it may be worth doing instances during the day and quests at night (yes I plan to only sleep for a couple of hours during the day!)

also regarding defence cap and leveling

i know at level 80 defence cap is 540 and at 70 its 490. this divides nicely into 5 points per level. is this correct? So if im level 72 i need 500 defence to avoide crits from level ?? bosses.

1 last thing. I have read that wearing tabard in instances will get you rep with the corresponding faction. Do these tabards have to be gained by a quest line or can you just buy them from the quatermaster.

Apologies if any of this has been covered, i did have a good look around the forums but couldnt find any specific info on what i have written.

Requirement #1, get a couple of reliable healers.

Requirement #2, see requirement #1.

Requirement #3, see requirement #1.

Right now, tanks is not in short supply, and being that this is Maintankadin, you should be one as well. Healer supply is in amazingly short supply. But I'll give you the good news... WotLK instance is much shorter than old world or TBC. You can generally get an instance done in about 30 minutes.
ImageImageImage
Dianora

Postby Worldie » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:25 am

Belloc wrote:
Worldie wrote:
Belloc wrote:From personal experience in the beta, instance leveling is not a good idea in WotLK.

First of all, you don't get nearly as much XP in instances as you do from questing. Even with rested XP, XP in instances was really small. You would be much better off taking that 5-man group and tagging every mob in the area while questing. If the area is crowded, simply move to the next zone. These zones are all really big and there are plenty of quest hubs.

You clearly don't play in a Full server with queues ;)
This is absolutely true. I've only experienced queues a few times, and those waits were less than a minute.

Regardless, we have two starting zones in WotLK and the instance XP sucks. Questing is the way to go :)

While XP per hour in istances is indeed less than by questing, when you got hundreds of players doing the same quests, plus possible gankfeasts, you gain more from that (plus gear) than from questing. You can still go back later and do quests another time.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Belloc » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:42 am

Harlequina wrote:What do you think about going to the "next" level area then right away? Would it be fair (fair, as in, good XP and all quests available) for a level 70?

Grizzley Hills on the Howling Fjord side and Dragonblight on the Borean Tundra side.
Belloc

Postby Claydon » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:43 am

Dianora wrote:
Claydon wrote:I had an idea of leveling in instances for at least the first few levels of wrath.

I'm on EU-Kazzak and it is packed with people, so I guessed that leveling would be a real pain.

I have 5 people that are willing to do this with me so getting a group will not be a time consumer.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this? will the XP gains in instances be comparable to XP gains attempting to do quests with the masses?

My goal is to level to 80 asap and get raiding. the guild I'm in want to try and get in the top5 guilds on Kazzak so quick leveling is going to be essential.

I was thinking it may be worth doing instances during the day and quests at night (yes I plan to only sleep for a couple of hours during the day!)

also regarding defence cap and leveling

i know at level 80 defence cap is 540 and at 70 its 490. this divides nicely into 5 points per level. is this correct? So if im level 72 i need 500 defence to avoide crits from level ?? bosses.

1 last thing. I have read that wearing tabard in instances will get you rep with the corresponding faction. Do these tabards have to be gained by a quest line or can you just buy them from the quatermaster.

Apologies if any of this has been covered, i did have a good look around the forums but couldnt find any specific info on what i have written.

Right now, tanks is not in short supply, and being that this is Maintankadin, you should be one as well. Healer supply is in amazingly short supply. But I'll give you the good news... WotLK instance is much shorter than old world or TBC. You can generally get an instance done in about 30 minutes.

well i have one guy that says he is staying resto while we do this. i also have and enhancement shaman that will respec without a problem if out primary healer isnt around

ontop of that ones of the guys in our group is a warrior, so if it came to it he could respec and i could healz
Claydon

Postby guillex » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:49 am

Belloc wrote:
Harlequina wrote:What do you think about going to the "next" level area then right away? Would it be fair (fair, as in, good XP and all quests available) for a level 70?

Grizzley Hills on the Howling Fjord side and Dragonblight on the Borean Tundra side.

And from what I remember from Beta, HF quests tend to have more tank-oriented rewards after the first few series, while BT quests (har har har, c wut i did thar?) tend to yield more ret/healing rewards.

I'll personally be going to HF first and clearing. the. place. out.

There are a few really nice quests to do there. And when you get your goblin bombing run, do it in a group. It's sometimes difficult to get all of your kills by yourself.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Belloc » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:53 am

Guillex wrote:
Belloc wrote:

And from what I remember from Beta, HF quests tend to have more tank-oriented rewards after the first few series, while BT quests (har har har, c wut i did thar?) tend to yield more ret/healing rewards.

I'll personally be going to HF first and clearing. the. place. out.

There are a few really nice quests to do there. And when you get your goblin bombing run, do it in a group. It's sometimes difficult to get all of your kills by yourself.

I'm not really sure, but I had a bank full of possible ret gear just by doing quests on the HF side. That said, I've never geared for ret and the gear may have been terrible :)
Belloc

Postby sanctifico » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:53 am

Worldie wrote:You clearly don't play in a Full server with queues ;)

Welcome to Twilight's Hammer mate (BC launch had 1500+ in queue).

I have the the week off, so during the day/earlyhours I'll chain quest using a quest guide to maximise leveling speed. (i.e. when people are at work/school)

Evenings I'll be instance farming with mage,warlock, holy/disc priest and an arms warrior.(We can speed run because were all in T6 or higher, and frankly most normal 70 instaces can be chain pulled/cleared in less than 15mins. I can seriously see us chain pulling these new instances in less as there sorter.)

I'm aiming for 72 by day two and aiming for 80 within 4days played, I aim to be Naxx ready for the first reset (i.e. the 19th)

Worldie, can you's maek leik ze hordez like maek a truce wiv me? (except howll i like making him die on my shield)

3/6 Sunwell Pre-Nerf.
sanctifico

Postby Belloc » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:57 am

It's really disappointing seeing everyone wanting to hit level 80 so fast. I, too, want to get into Naxx soon, but the content in WotLK is so cool that you'll be missing some of the best stuff the game has to offer.

Remember that there will only be one tier of raid content at launch. Even if you take a leisurely pace while leveling, you'll still have plenty of time to be Ulduar-ready when it's released.
Belloc

Postby firstamendme » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:00 am

Best thing I've ever done is encouraging my wife's love of healspecced priests. LF3M DPS Anything gets a full group in about 10 seconds, and aoetanking quest objectives while she renews/dots is amazing. Possibly the best endorsement to get married one could ever muster.
firstamendme

Postby firstamendme » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:00 am

doublepost omg lag?
firstamendme

PreviousNext

Return to WotLK