Remove Advertisements

Moving away from the 'Fire and Forget' Model of Tanking

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Moving away from the 'Fire and Forget' Model of Tanking

Postby Panzerdin » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:11 am

Although I don't play the game any more, and indeed never reached level 70 on my tankadin, I've been taking a fairly keen interest in the changes to the spec occurring as WotLK heads towards release. One thing that has struck me is that, with the introduction of new active abilities (Hammer of Righteousness, Shield of Righteousness and so forth) and the development of the 96969 rotation (which I've probably transcribed wrong, never having used it), we seem to be moving away from being able to hit Holy Shield, drop a Consecrate and sit back to watch the party. My question, therefore, concerns what those who actually reached 70 think of this: is there a noticeable change in tanking; does this change affect how the class feels to play; has there been a noticeable effect on the class' use in raids as a result (more single-target TPS, for example)?
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Worldie » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:15 am

Basically, you feel like tanking and actually smashing the mobs face, rather than just constantly farting at them.
Passing from basically 3 buttons every 8 seconds to not having enough GCDs to use all the skills is good.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby majorwoo » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:50 am

More skills then I have GCD's for makes me happy, it makes it feel so much more involved.
Despite all my rage, I am still just a Paladin Tank.
majorwoo

Postby Harlequina » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:53 am

It's just tons more fun in overall. Being able to use BUBBLEWALL (!) and Lay on Hands without draining your mana, is quite the icing on the cake. And the DPS is decent, compared to before anyways.

Consecration is still a major threat move and all that... But it's not just that and holy shield + judgement anymore... Or atleast it doesn't feel like that. Avenging Shield is instant cast, Hammer of Wrath is instant cast, HotR with its frying pan sound and 6 sec CD... It all adds up. You use more things, and you look more shiny than ever doing it. :p

Then there's the holy shield slam, which I personally haven't even tried once yet... Can't wait for that. Only a few more days.
Harlequina

Postby daemonym » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:59 am

Harlequina wrote:...Lay on Hands without draining your mana, is quite the icing on the cake.

i look at this as a reward for being stuck with a pos panic button for ages, a sort of blessing in disguise if you will )seewhat i did there? ^^)

since origionally it would drain all your mana and put in in a potentially bad spot again, and with an hour cd, it taught me to use it at the most precise moment possible (still not perfect of course). now with it being a use per boss fight, not 1-2 times per raid, it's amazing.

and shield of the rightous is going to be beyond awesome. all in all, tanking is much mroe interactive as has been said and a lot more fun also. a nice breath of fresh air indeed.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby Candiru » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:00 am

Lay on hands removes all your mana? I seem to recall it giving you 900 mana back, which was plenty to carry on your rotation and if you need to use Lay on Hands you probably are taking lots of damage = more mana on the way soon! :)

Imp.Lay on hands is awesome however, but I can't really get it in prot spec without loosing something thats better.

an awesome 15s every 16min isn't really that great on average, but it does mean we can bubble wall for 12 then lay on hands for 15 which would be a long time of taking much less damage. Would be awesome on a fight like gruull near the kill.
Candiru

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:07 am

Candiru wrote:Lay on hands removes all your mana? I seem to recall it giving you 900 mana back, which was plenty to carry on your rotation and if you need to use Lay on Hands you probably are taking lots of damage = more mana on the way soon! :)

Imp.Lay on hands is awesome however, but I can't really get it in prot spec without loosing something thats better.

an awesome 15s every 16min isn't really that great on average, but it does mean we can bubble wall for 12 then lay on hands for 15 which would be a long time of taking much less damage. Would be awesome on a fight like gruull near the kill.
It's 900 mana to whoever got healed, yeah.That means ret and holy never used it on tanks.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Candiru » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:09 am

yeah, its a big buff to holy and ret since they can actually use it now.

And with the glyph of divinity it restores their mana too, which makes it pretty amazing for a holy paladin in a tight spot.
Candiru

Postby Barathorn » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:49 am

Worldie wrote:Passing from basically 3 buttons every 8 seconds to not having enough GCDs to use all the skills is good.

It means that if you are skilled you have a bigger gap between yourself and the horde of alt tankadins that got rolled at the end of TBC.

This to me is a good thing. No more Easymode consecrate for people who have no idea about their class. Sorry, but its true, those who put the work in will benefit immensely from the changes in WotLK.

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby daemonym » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:24 pm

Barathorn wrote: No more Easymode consecrate for people who have no idea about their class. Sorry, but its true, those who put the work in will benefit immensely from the changes in WotLK.
Barathorn

QFT and emphasis
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby Squishums » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:23 pm

I found you could get imp LoH without dropping too much. No improved hammer of judgement, and no guarded by the light...and maybe 1 point out of threat or t-clap judgements.

Basicly a spec for tanking non-casters, and/or tanking with a warrior to t-clap for you.

What you lose in mana efficiency from touched by the light and benediction, you at least partly gain from divine intelect...thats 15% bigger mana pool, and 15% more mana from santuary.
Squishums

Postby TokenElf » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:41 pm

Barathorn wrote:
Worldie wrote:Passing from basically 3 buttons every 8 seconds to not having enough GCDs to use all the skills is good.

It means that if you are skilled you have a bigger gap between yourself and the horde of alt tankadins that got rolled at the end of TBC.

This to me is a good thing. No more Easymode consecrate for people who have no idea about their class. Sorry, but its true, those who put the work in will benefit immensely from the changes in WotLK.

Barathorn

I am a sad BElf that just started tanking.
But I'm working on it. The PTR convinced me to drop my shaman for this toon.
TokenElf

Return to WotLK