Remove Advertisements

gearing rules at 80

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:12 pm

Knaughty wrote:
Levantine wrote:Is it just me or are people underestimating how much you will be blocking in Wrath?

Seem to be.

I'm running around with 1.1k BV in my balanced tanking gear at 70. I put on a silly set and hit 2.2k with everything procced (but not with raid buffs).

I'm seeing 15%-20% mitigation at 70 from block value on NErfwell raid bosses.

In beta at 80 unbuffed with entry type naxx gear, i'm in the 800s.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Re: gearing rules at 80

Postby mazater » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:04 am

Ascendant wrote:has anybody been able to find gearing rules for tanking stats at 80? or is there no point in using gearing rules?

I'm personally going for uncrittable -> stack stamina way.
mazater

Postby Bobness » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:21 am

Worldie wrote:At 80 it will be like
maintaining uncrit > maintaining uncrush > stacking Block Value

is probably more appropriate
Bobness

Postby Blutreich » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:13 am

Bobness wrote:
Worldie wrote:At 80 it will be like
maintaining uncrit > maintaining uncrush > stacking Block Value

is probably more appropriate

but boring
def stam str here
with a random thought about 102.4
Going to spend my cab money on more shots and just take the ambulance home
Blutreich

Postby daemonym » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:36 pm

it's looking like i'll be at about 90-95% ish into uncrush territory prioritizing in the order of Defense > strength/stam. all with pre raid gear of course, enchant for defense everywhere and abusing the JC bop trinkets, rings, and gems while using the HS badge libram (may switch this for the BV one from wotlk) ^^
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby Squishums » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:58 pm

I was thinking lvl 80 will be like what some people felt lvl 70 was all about......uncrit, uncrush (block capped...w/e you call it) mostly from block rating, and then block value like crazy.

Blocking everything and taking the least spiky dmg will be our thing...even more than it is now. And choosing mitigation over avoidance will boost our threat at the same time by giving us more HS dmg, and more shield of the righteous dmg....hopefully so much so that hit and exesive amounts of str wont be needed.

Massive block value overgearing you is nolonger a problem either...so yeah thats what it seems to me paladins are supposed to do....whether it actually works out to be the best way of gearing remains to be seen =P
Squishums

Postby Bobness » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:18 am

Block Value is probably point for point going to be your best threat stat on top of it's mitigation benefits...can't wait to see a tankadin riding 2k BV.
Bobness

Postby PsiVen » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:39 am

My paladin in 1/2 T7-10 type gear was blocking for 1550ish without that fancy libram, as I recall I was also 'uncrushable' while raid buffed and uncrittable unbuffed. So those two are still quite attainable goals.

I don't see any point in stacking threat stats. Right now we have ridiculous scaling and badly need damage buffs, so once those come we will once again be doing outrageous amounts of TPS.

So for me: 540 Defense >> 102.4% >> Mitigation > Avoidance > Stamina
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Solitatis » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:46 am

Hi guys, I know that there have been many posts about 540 def, and the recent talent change "20 def --> 5% dodge" and concernes about getting uncrittable. I have to admit that my tankadin is very well geared (t6 gear level), and that this forum is for everybody, but..

My paladin atm has 558 defence at level 70, and thinking that ill get 5 each level next 5 levels, I have a very hard time seeing this as any issue at all. (this is without using a tanking weapon)

So my question is this: Looking at stats needed for level 80, dosent defence become a none issue very fast? allowing all the gemming/enchanting to be focused on midigation as our threat is also a non-issue thise days.
Thought without action is a daydream.
Action without thought is a nightmare.
Solitatis

Postby Zironic » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:20 am

Solitatis wrote:Hi guys, I know that there have been many posts about 540 def, and the recent talent change "20 def --> 5% dodge" and concernes about getting uncrittable. I have to admit that my tankadin is very well geared (t6 gear level), and that this forum is for everybody, but..

My paladin atm has 558 defence at level 70, and thinking that ill get 5 each level next 5 levels, I have a very hard time seeing this as any issue at all. (this is without using a tanking weapon)

So my question is this: Looking at stats needed for level 80, dosent defence become a none issue very fast? allowing all the gemming/enchanting to be focused on midigation as our threat is also a non-issue thise days.

your 491 defense rating is only 103.3 defense at lvl 80 leaving you at 503.3 defense even with the 50 defense you gain from levels.

You really have to remember that defense rating becomes worse as you level.
Zironic

Postby lythac » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:39 am

Zironic wrote:
Solitatis wrote:Hi guys, I know that there have been many posts about 540 def, and the recent talent change "20 def --> 5% dodge" and concernes about getting uncrittable. I have to admit that my tankadin is very well geared (t6 gear level), and that this forum is for everybody, but..

your 491 defense rating is only 103.3 defense at lvl 80 leaving you at 503.3 defense even with the 50 defense you gain from levels.

You really have to remember that defense rating becomes worse as you level.

Defense doesn't become a non issue, as said before a lot of the epic quality ilvl200/213 items have less defense than blues from ilvl150+.

You need 689 rating, you have 491 rating. 198 is quite a lot to make up.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Ascendant » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:20 am

so is there any math to suggest that BV > Stam for raiding? if so...

by the look of things, defense is very efficient and important in WotLK. so I will probably go with:

defense >> uncrushable (block>dodge>parry) >> EH (BV > stam > armor) or whichever EH order is proven to be better.

I won't consider strength when choosing gear, but I will definitely gem strength to meet socket requirements. This rule will maximize EH while maintaining uncrushable which is almost the same as my 70 rule.

So If I had a bunch of trinkets each having 1 type of stat above, I would choose:

1st choice - defense
2nd choice - EH (whichever turns out to be better)
avoidance trinkets would only be used to reach 102.4%

Of course things might change in practice, but thanks for the input. It helped a lot.
Ascendant

Postby Zironic » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:51 am

What makes BV sexier then pure stam is the fact that it's mitigation. More stamina will prevent you from getting gibbed by a 100k hit, however blizzard have said that they're going to stop trying to gib the tank and are rather going to focus on driving the healers oom.

With that approach BV is a lot sexier since it lowers the damage you take over the fight and is nice enough to be smooth and consistent about it (compared to dodge)
Zironic

Postby daemonym » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:24 pm

Zironic wrote:What makes BV sexier then pure stam is the fact that it's mitigation. More stamina will prevent you from getting gibbed by a 100k hit, however blizzard have said that they're going to stop trying to gib the tank and are rather going to focus on driving the healers oom.

With that approach BV is a lot sexier since it lowers the damage you take over the fight and is nice enough to be smooth and consistent about it (compared to dodge)

ya know i've been thinking about this a lot lately and if that is the general idea behind the majority of the encounters, then it seems that the priorities would be something like uncrit > block capped (102.4) > strength/BV > stam.

i really hope this is the case because needing such a large health pool and gemming/enchanting so much stam was always boring as hell imo.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby Loras » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:23 am

Well, there's one more point - what average str and sta values you'll have in 80 gear. BoK will be an even more invauable buff, as %-scaling will be even greater with the increased values. With stamina values of 2000 and more it could buff your hp pool by more than 2k health, maybe 3k+. What would the str values be, though? Maybe 1000 str, which will get increased by 100 only --> 50 more value. Is 50 value worth more than 2000 hp...?
Loras

PreviousNext

Return to WotLK