Weapon Oils and Sharpening Stones gone

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Splug » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:40 am

Inventory slot ++.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Lore » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:51 am

Elsie wrote:This only means people will now farm old world / TBC content for weapon oils and stones.

You missed the part where they can't be used on level 80 weapons.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Petrus » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:55 am

I guess I don't mind the change, but their reason isn't very good. Wizard oil was a very cheap commodity and certainly wasn't a burden on the cost of raiding.
Petrus
Maintankadonor

Postby fafhrd » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:35 am

Now they just need to get rid of repair costs, and we'll be all set.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Eanin » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:38 am

Since I always carry around two wizard oils and two mana oils, this is very good news.

Of course, I should probably just carry wizard oils, given the spellpower change. Old habits die hard :P.
Eanin

Postby Snake-Aes » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:54 am

<has 2 gigantique stacks of wizard oil from early raiding + leveling enchanting
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Samilyn » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:55 am

Eanin wrote:Since I always carry around two wizard oils and two mana oils, this is very good news.

Of course, I should probably just carry wizard oils, given the spellpower change. Old habits die hard :P.

The +40 damage always applied to healing as well, so they were always better in situations where mana wasn't a huge issue.

I'm a little bummed that enchanters will lose a source of income from this, especially if they had put in something easy to make and better than ZG oils.

Now they just need to make Flasks better than elixirs for all classes and we'll be set.

EDIT: +40 Spellpower is still quite a bit. Will this make some level 79 weapons + oil superior to level 80 weapons at the start of WOTLK raiding?
Samilyn

Postby Splug » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:09 am

Samilyn wrote:EDIT: +40 Spellpower is still quite a bit. Will this make some level 79 weapons + oil superior to level 80 weapons at the start of WOTLK raiding?
I doubt it. It might make a 79 blue better than an 80 blue, but I'm pretty sure when you hit an 80 epic the item value jumps enough to compensate that spellpower.

-Splug
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Ocin » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:18 am

i'll miss being able to max out my performance if for some reason i fall behind in gear upgrades and could use a boost. same goes for not being able to chain-chug ironshield and destro pots. oh well, "welcome" to our new, nerfy overlords.
Ocin

Postby fafhrd » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:27 am

Splug wrote:
Samilyn wrote:EDIT: +40 Spellpower is still quite a bit. Will this make some level 79 weapons + oil superior to level 80 weapons at the start of WOTLK raiding?
I doubt it. It might make a 79 blue better than an 80 blue, but I'm pretty sure when you hit an 80 epic the item value jumps enough to compensate that spellpower.

-Splug

For dps oils yes. But if they're taking out mana regen oils as well, it could conceivably be better to use a weapon that lets you not run oom, especially if you're a class that uses melee weapons as stat sticks, and doesn't actually use them to melee with.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Elsie » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:32 am

Lore wrote:
Elsie wrote:This only means people will now farm old world / TBC content for weapon oils and stones.

...sigh, this makes me a sad panda. I kind of enjoyed weapon enchants.

What on earth is the point of removing windfury as a weapon buff to allow for other things besides to give rogues a second poison in pve?
I would have prefered removing food to weapon enchants. Lord knows what I've paid in 4 different kinds of food (hit, str, stam, spell dmg).
Elsie

Postby fafhrd » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:35 am

Elsie wrote:
Lore wrote:

What on earth is the point of removing windfury as a weapon buff to allow for other things besides to give rogues a second poison in pve?

To make it useful for ferals, pets and hunters ohwaitnvm
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Splug » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:39 am

fafhrd wrote:
Elsie wrote:
Lore wrote:

To make it useful for ferals, pets and hunters ohwaitnvm
It also now benefits dual wield classes in a way more similar to how it benefits 2h classes, and is a regular sustained damage increase rather than a massive burst increase. The real killer was trying to balance pvp burst damage around the presence or absence of a major change provided by another class.

-Splug
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby GothicPL » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:00 pm

Samilyn wrote:The +40 damage always applied to healing as well, so they were always better in situations where mana wasn't a huge issue.

No, not according to the character tab. Before the spell power unification, superior wizard oil only bumped the damage and not the healing part. Healers used either BC mp5 oil or old world hybrid +heal/+mp5 "brilliant" oil.
GothicPL

Postby Elsie » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:05 pm

It also now benefits dual wield classes in a way more similar to how it benefits 2h classes, and is a regular sustained damage increase rather than a massive burst increase. The real killer was trying to balance pvp burst damage around the presence or absence of a major change provided by another class.

I'd disagree with this. The benefit for 2h and dual wield classes is on par. Neither could use the items in arena, anyway.
Elsie

PreviousNext

Return to WotLK