Remove Advertisements

Weapon Oils and Sharpening Stones gone

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Weapon Oils and Sharpening Stones gone

Postby Andryana » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:03 am

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... 4&sid=2000

As an enchanter/blacksmith i'm a little disappointed by this, specially with the wizard oils that i made a lot of gold selling them on TBC and was expecting to make some more on WoTLK.

It's funny they mention the cost as reason, because in my opinion was one of the cheapest buffs to get compared to elixirs,pots and even food buffs.
Andryana

Postby moduspwnens » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:06 am

Meh, oh well.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Jasari » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:06 am

Anyone know if they plan on removing the current oils/stones? Because if not, they will go up in value and people will just continue using them rather than an upgraded northrend version. Sure, 42 Spell Power might not be a ton at 80, but it's certainly better than nothing and I can't imagine guilds completely skipping on oil or stones if outland ones still exist.
Jasari

Postby Elexis » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:08 am

Sigh!

Had farmed 300+ of those argent dawn ones. Oh well, guess I could see that one coming with all the consumables nerfs.
Elexis

Postby Andryana » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:08 am

Jasari wrote:Anyone know if they plan on removing the current oils/stones? Because if not, they will go up in value and people will just continue using them rather than an upgraded northrend version. Sure, 42 Spell Power might not be a ton at 80, but it's certainly better than nothing and I can't imagine guilds completely skipping on oil or stones if outland ones still exist.

They aren't being removed, but on that thread people said that you aren't allowed to use them on level 80 weapons(gets an error, target is too high level)
Andryana

Postby Elexis » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:09 am

Think they just make northrend weapon unable to be enchanted by oil/stones.
Elexis

Postby Chunes » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:13 am

i guess i can understand why they are doing this, but i still feel like i'm losing something that i feel should still be part of raiding.

:-/
Chunes

Postby Mortehl » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:14 am

There is a serious effort being made to make it easier to raid, which I entirely agree with.

It starts with the 10 man format, and continues through raid buff stacking with the culmination in far less dependency upon purchased consumable buffs. This has an impact though not devastating on the 25 man raids as well.

Wrath has a lot of promise to be a more fun experience.

Edit: It should be understood that making it easier to raid does not necessarily mean that raiding itself is easier.
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Postby Invisusira » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:15 am

technically, sharpening stones work best when you put oils ON them, so Blizzard probably saw this and was saddened by their un-realism so they removed the stuff from the game.
Invisusira

Postby Jasari » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:19 am

Andryana wrote:
Jasari wrote:Anyone know if they plan on removing the current oils/stones? Because if not, they will go up in value and people will just continue using them rather than an upgraded northrend version. Sure, 42 Spell Power might not be a ton at 80, but it's certainly better than nothing and I can't imagine guilds completely skipping on oil or stones if outland ones still exist.

They aren't being removed, but on that thread people said that you aren't allowed to use them on level 80 weapons(gets an error, target is too high level)

Good to know
Jasari

Postby Widdox » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:23 am

Invisusira wrote:technically, sharpening stones work best when you put oils ON them, so Blizzard probably saw this and was saddened by their un-realism so they removed the stuff from the game.

Blasphemy, thou shalt not bring thy knowledge of Real World to Wow!
Widdox

Postby Diocaska » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:25 am

Mortehl wrote:There is a serious effort being made to make it easier to raid, which I entirely agree with.

It starts with the 10 man format, and continues through raid buff stacking with the culmination in far less dependency upon purchased consumable buffs. This has an impact though not devastating on the 25 man raids as well.

Wrath has a lot of promise to be a more fun experience.

Edit: It should be understood that making it easier to raid does not necessarily mean that raiding itself is easier.

I agree with this.

I do not enjoy having to spend as much time farming for raids as I spend actually being in raid.

I respect that people who make the additional effort of farming mats get more advantage than those who don't, but I personally do not enjoy seeing the game have such a "farm for everything" nature which BC felt like it had.
Aurellia(90) Ulshala(85) Diocaska(85) Leighesha(85)
Diocaska

Postby Sarkan-ZdC » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:06 am

Elexis wrote:Sigh!

Had farmed 300+ of those argent dawn ones. Oh well, guess I could see that one coming with all the consumables nerfs.

I have 28 of those Oils of the Argent Dawn. 7 or so from quests, rest I bought. Now that one sucks. I can use some now I think. But what about the rest?

That kills the event totally for me (yes, I bought ALL the Rest of the items *g*)
Sarkan-ZdC

Postby Sharlos » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:44 am

Invisusira wrote:technically, sharpening stones work best when you put oils ON them, so Blizzard probably saw this and was saddened by their un-realism so they removed the stuff from the game.

http://awdixp.ytmnd.com/
I hate signatures, but i love irony
Sharlos

Postby Elsie » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:33 am

This only means people will now farm old world / TBC content for weapon oils and stones.

Frankly, I don't see the problem with them. Yes, they increase cost in raiding. However, they aren't expensive and persist through death while giving the DPS who care an option to show they do.
Weapon oils are much, much cheaper than anything people have spent on haste potions, elixirs, and flasks. Particularly the first two.
Last edited by Elsie on Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Elsie

Next

Return to WotLK