WOTLK Leveling Guide

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Morlin » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:24 am

Pizbit wrote:Meh, I prefer to find it out all myself, a LOT more fun that way.

I used to be like that, but I just got frustrated at how long it took me just to find stuff for a single quest. I would never pay for a leveling guide, but for a while I would just use the Lightheaded mod, which pulls hints from Wowhead. Then I got ahold of a copy of Brian Kopp's guide, which was great. But I had to print it all out, or alt+tab to see the next step. Jame's guides on wow-pro.com look really good, though. At the moment, I'm using Zygor's in-game leveling guide. It's definitely worth it if you can find a copy. Fifty bucks or more for a game guide is just ridiculous. Again, look for the torrent or something.
Morlin

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:33 am

One thing as far as finding stuff goes, I've noticed the default UI is giving pointers on a lot of quests now. Not every quest, but quite a few - just select the quest in your log and look for an arrow on your minimap.
It's a feature I'd seen used in the older content but very rarely, definately showing up more often now than before.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Eanin » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:41 am

Yep - I'm definitely looking for something free. Basically, I just want to get back to raiding. I'll stop and smell the roses on my hunter later.

There's a pretty good one at www.wtbblue.com/questing-guides. Unfortunately, they've failed to make a printer-friendly version. I may use it, though, just for their maps of quest hubs.
Eanin

Postby Maklar » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:52 am

I used Jame's up to 75 and then just used carbonite to help with the rest.
Maklar

Postby Deflect » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:20 am

I bought Zygor's Leveling Guide and I used it from 1-79 so far. It's fucking amazing.

I wanted to play with my friends on Alliance side, so I decieded to make a Male Human Paladin, I bought the Alliance In-game Guide from 1-70. I got from 1-60 in 1 week, around 4 days /played. I got from 60-70 in around 7 days /played.

When Lich King came out I saw that they came out with a guide for 70-80, I got that one too. I thought it would be crappy since it was probably made in beta and it wouldn't be too accurate. Well, it was perfect; I'm level 79 right now and I only have around 11 days /played. It uses a add-on called TomTom to pinpoint the areas where you need to go. Once you turn in a quest, it points it to the next area and so on. It's amazing and it was totally worth the money. If I didn't have this guide, I wouldn't even know how I'd level.
Deflect

Postby majiben » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:28 am

Deflect wrote:I bought Zygor's Leveling Guide and I used it from 1-79 so far. It's fucking amazing.
EEWWW you payed for a guide. Really there are a lot of good free resources for leveling out there. Jame's guide is a good free one hosted on alla. Between that and a quest helper addon you could have saved a good chunk of dough.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Deflect » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:31 am

I'm sorry to say that a well written IN-GAME guide is much better than any free guide you can get. Worth the money for me. I'm level 79, while all my friends using Quest Helper are around 73-75.

The guide is written to go through the fastest routes possible. It's accurate and you just follow the dots.
Deflect

Postby hoho » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:35 am

Morlin wrote:But I had to print it all out, or alt+tab to see the next step.
Dual monitors = pure win.

I only use questhelper and it seems to be good enough. My leveling speed isn't exactly stellar but I'm in the first half of my guild it seems.
hoho

Postby Tiburse » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:17 am

Tiburse

Postby halabar » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:28 am

Carbonite.

It's golden for all those "collect 20 of x" quests, and to track multiple quests at the same time, so you farm an area for everything you need.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Morlin » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:30 am

Deflect wrote:I'm sorry to say that a well written IN-GAME guide is much better than any free guide you can get. Worth the money for me. I'm level 79, while all my friends using Quest Helper are around 73-75.

The guide is written to go through the fastest routes possible. It's accurate and you just follow the dots.

I love Zygor, but why pay an insane amount for it when you can find a free torrent of it? That's what I did. Downloaded in less than 5 seconds. And I got to save my money to actually buy a game card.
Morlin

Postby Pizbit » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:44 pm

Morlin wrote:
Pizbit wrote:Meh, I prefer to find it out all myself, a LOT more fun that way.

I used to be like that, but I just got frustrated at how long it took me just to find stuff for a single quest. I would never pay for a leveling guide, but for a while I would just use the Lightheaded mod, which pulls hints from Wowhead. Then I got ahold of a copy of Brian Kopp's guide, which was great. But I had to print it all out, or alt+tab to see the next step. Jame's guides on wow-pro.com look really good, though. At the moment, I'm using Zygor's in-game leveling guide. It's definitely worth it if you can find a copy. Fifty bucks or more for a game guide is just ridiculous. Again, look for the torrent or something.

I do wowhead a number of quests, but usually I go looking first :)
I personally hate the hand holding auto-mated bullshit that is quest helper and guides.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby mavfin » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:21 pm

Pizbit wrote:I do wowhead a number of quests, but usually I go looking first :)
I personally hate the hand holding auto-mated bullshit that is quest helper and guides.

Yes. Agreed. We just paid for new content, and half the WoW population is intent on skipping it as fast as they can!

I'm actually enjoying the questing, myself.
--Mav
mavfin

Postby Damelon » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:32 pm

I rolled my Horde pally (Lisl @ Kilrogg EU) about 1 week before Hallows End wrapped up, am now level 72 having just completed Borean Tundra, am off to the Howling Fjord now, think I will just do ALL the damn quests. Am having a great time, so just going to get as much of it as I can. My biggest problem is forcing myself to go back to Outland to fill in huge gaps in those reps for achievements, etc.
Damelon

Postby Elsie » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:24 am

Someone in my game bought the 70-80 guide from that record maker person (I forget the name). I still beat him to 80 using only quest helper. People don't consider that while guides are generally good, you lose a lot of time simply using them. The writer spent all this time pre-use and already knew the information. So a little logic can work much better.

I basically did Tundra -> dragonblight -> Tundra (Murlock / top left area)grizzly hills -> Zul'drak (flying mount) -> dragonblight (crystal vice area) -> Shazolar Basin (79 -> 80). I got the quest achievement for dragonblight, tundra, grizzly, and zul'drak.

Now, onward to grinding heroics for my red drake! And icecrown quests for a new weapon!
Elsie

PreviousNext

Return to WotLK