Remove Advertisements

Concerning Tank Damage

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Danth » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:10 pm

"You quote oddly"

I quote in the manner I do because it saves screen area and reduces scrolling. My posts don't normally lack for length even without large quote blocks.

"We will not be in the top of the damage meters but we should care that we have meaningful damage output and really the idea that tanks have to do terrible DPS is just a stale and old design philosophy of balance."

I'm willing to entertain that notion--lord knows plenty of obsolete mechanics cling to this genre like so much crap--but why ? You have the difficult task of convincing someone who does not, and never has, cared at all about the "DPS" role or soloing speed. Optionally, we can just state the obvious, that different things matter to different people, and leave it at that, no harm there. I jumped into this discussion--for the sake of discussion--only because I don't see added damage output as literally "necessary", not because I oppose it (I don't). Blizzard could go right back to using +threat modifiers and I'd be happy with that, too.

In the end, I suppose I can change my stance from neutral to that of support for added damage output not because I care about it, but because other people do and it harms nobody. A change doesn't have to be necessary to be positive (see: summoning lazy people via stones vs. waiting for them).

Danth
Medivh server, on hiatus
Danth

Postby Flex » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:45 pm

Worldie wrote:ShoR is a magic attack (cannot use it while silenced, HotR can), the "miss" you see is a resist in fact.

I thought they cleaned up the combat log to differentiate between magic misses and resists.
Flex

Postby Kayoto » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:07 pm

Flex wrote:
Worldie wrote:ShoR is a magic attack (cannot use it while silenced, HotR can), the "miss" you see is a resist in fact.

I thought they cleaned up the combat log to differentiate between magic misses and resists.

They only cleaned it up to distinguish magic full resists (now documented as "miss" in the combat log) from partial resists (i.e. Your Pyroblast hits Splug for 23,508 fire (207 resisted) )
Kayoto

Postby Splug » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:09 pm

Well, at least after a hit like that I'll have rage for spell reflect...

EDIT: You know 2 pages later, someone's going to come in, read that out of context, and yell to nerf AP-pyro, warrior base health, and the darkspear troll rep rewards right?

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Kayoto » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:33 pm

Splug wrote:Well, at least after a hit like that I'll have rage for spell reflect...

EDIT: You know 2 pages later, someone's going to come in, read that out of context, and yell to nerf AP-pyro, warrior base health, and the darkspear troll rep rewards right?

-Splug

I'm counting on it. I hate Arcane Mages, Warriors, and especially Darkspear Trolls.

my master plan has been unveiled!
Kayoto

Previous

Return to WotLK