Remove Advertisements

Help choosing my main

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Help choosing my main

Postby Kup » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:37 am

I'm struggling with which of my toons to make my main for Wrath. I wanted to ask someone who's played beta how prot seems to stack up at 80 for instances/raiding as far as being fun and against the other tanking classes. My main has been my enhancement shaman since I started playing but I enjoy tanking also and my guild has been a bit light in the tank department and it's no secret that a shaman is nice but not a must have in a group. A tank is.

I've been having a hell of a time with this so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Kup

Postby majorwoo » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:43 am

do what you have fun doing, why else are you playing this game?

Sure, having an alt that can fill a needed position is fun, but if your main isn't fun but you play it because you can go to raids, are you really having fun?
Despite all my rage, I am still just a Paladin Tank.
majorwoo

Postby Fizzgig » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:44 am

I love my tanking pally and am going to do so throughout wrath however....

I'm also going to level my enhancement shammy up very quick because to me they are amazingly fun currently.
Fizzgig

Postby Kup » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:57 am

I enjoy both, a lot. I like leading and setting pace as well, and no better class to do that then a tank. I haven't played beta or read a ton on the how the class will play out towards endgame (which is why I play) and wanted to see if it's similar to how the class is now or what I have to prepare for going forward.
Kup

Postby Equillian » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:06 am

If you feel like you're a tank, do it! If you're DPS at heart, do that.

This isnt a "do what you like" response so please dont take it as such. You should find out what class you are and then go balls to the wall on that.

Embrace your inner... whatever. Be that tank or ass buster.
I always have a minute, sometimes its taken by someone, but there's always the next.
Equillian

Postby Kelaan » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:03 pm

majorwoo wrote:Sure, having an alt that can fill a needed position is fun, but if your main isn't fun but you play it because you can go to raids, are you really having fun?

Equillian wrote:If you feel like you're a tank, do it! If you're DPS at heart, do that.
Embrace your inner... whatever. Be that tank or ass buster.

Unless hunters become more fun than I could possibly imagine (bad star wars reference ;)), Kelaan will be my main. I enjoy tanking, I enjoy DPS, and strangely ... I seem to enjoy healing? I get the best of Most Worlds, in that rather than needing an alt to fill a raid need, I can just respec and change gear.
Kelaan

Postby Kup » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:19 pm

Dual specs coming soon ftw!!!
Kup

Postby Kup » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:22 pm

That being said I like the idea of Prot/Ret better than I like Enhance/Resto or even Enhance PvE/Enhance PvP (which is fail anyways). Looks like I'll have to learn a bit about ret, I've been prot since lvl 30 :)
Kup

Postby Lore » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:27 pm

Not to be a downer, but asking a Paladin forum which class to play might not give you the most unbiased results ;)
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Kup » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:37 pm

WOOT Lore sighting!!! Your posts should be written in blue :) I was looking more for information on how the tankadin plays out at 80 for those of you that got into wrath and didn't abandon everything else to try out a death knight. Basically are the class mechanics for tanking about the same as they are now.
Kup

Postby Equillian » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:41 pm

Who us? Dearest Lore, I believe in the name of justice and the light, we have given very unbiased opinions, and never once intended to sway Kup in any direction. I am personally offended that you would even suggest such an ambitious acusation... moderator or not. You should go sit in a corner and think about what you've done here. Shame on you Lore, shame on you.

Now Kup, run along and delete that lame ass shaman and play with the best. Best of luck making the right I mean your desicion!!! ^_^
I always have a minute, sometimes its taken by someone, but there's always the next.
Equillian

Postby Fridmarr » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:44 pm

Kup wrote:WOOT Lore sighting!!! Your posts should be written in blue :) I was looking more for information on how the tankadin plays out at 80 for those of you that got into wrath and didn't abandon everything else to try out a death knight. Basically are the class mechanics for tanking about the same as they are now.

Don't make me drive over to Puyallup and smack you.

Yes the mechanics are basically the same, but you get a shield slam that hits pretty hard.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Kup » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:47 pm

LOL, I've already ruled out my 70 priest (pvp) and my hunter (farmer) that's sitting at 63 right now from being my mains. As for looking out for my guild and playing what's needed, I'm the GM... so considering our future success and what will be needed is a concern, and god knows a retarded tank can ruin a run.
Kup

Postby Kup » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:51 pm

Fridmarr wrote:Don't make me drive over to Puyallup and smack you.

LOL you close? Seriously though I made my paladin because of how beastly our guilds old prot pally was before he stopped playing and he's the one that directed me to this site, so I have a huge amount of respect for those who have put as much time and effort into the Protadin as the people that run this site have.
Kup

Postby Splug » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:51 pm

Kup wrote:I was looking more for information on how the tankadin plays out at 80 for those of you that got into wrath and didn't abandon everything else to try out a death knight.
And what is wrong with death knights?

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to WotLK