Retribution Leveling gearing guide

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Ghort » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:41 am

25-30% crit to keep Vengeance up at full stacks during combat... besides that, do whatever floats your boat

Least, that was before 3.0x - i havent really played with it much since then
80 Paladin (Prot) - Azual
80 Warrior (Prot/Arms) - Madarab
80 Mage (Arcane/Frost pvp) Arlensul
80 DK (Blood Tank) Deadkitten
80 Priest (holy/disc) - Ghort
5/12 ICC 10

Runetotem Server, Fifth Column
Ghort

Postby Elsie » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:42 am

Robbo wrote:MaxDPS is good for gear listings I suppose, but be careful, it told me to gem for crit for PvE once, and I know that ain't right.

Frankly, str gave 2.3 ap. Remember though, crit doubles most damage. You have Art of War for +20% Crusader Strike and Divine Storm damage on crits. Righteous Vengeance gave +25% damage on crits to Judgment and Divine Storm.

So your Divine Storm is dealing 1*2*1.2*1.25= 3x damageon crits, 2.5x damage on judgment, and 2.4x damage on Crusader Strike

so if you hit for 1000 base damage, 1% crit is worth 30 damage on divine storm, 25 on judgment, 24 on crusader strike, etc. Obviously you can get crits for 3-5k now, so it's entirely possible for crit (on live) to be better. Furthermore, you need crit to proc Vengeance.

I have no idea how much wotlk will change before now, but don't go gaga over improved strength and ignore Righteous Vengeance / Art of War.
Elsie

Postby Trueth » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:09 am

Max DPS is the way to go. Unless you have an awesome rating in arenas, get the badge 2-hand sword or mace (unless you have a Jin'Rokh or better). They far outweigh any other single upgrade you can get.

Otherwise, consider gearing to max out +hit at 70. It will take you a long way in Wrath. After that, STR, STR, STR. Crit will come naturally on items, but STR is your biggest friend.

For gems, go all red STR gems with the exception of two yellow +hit gems and two purple STR/STA gems so that your meta works (if you have a meta slot).

Here are my suggestions:

Head: Badge or Best available PvP
Neck: SSO Might Pendant
Shoulders: Badge
Back: Crafted Cloak of Darkness
Chest: Magisters or best available PvP
Bracer: Best available PvP
Gloves: Brutal
Waist: Crafted Red Belt of Battle
Legs: Badge
Feet: ZA or Magisters
Ring: ZA, Hyjal quest ring or Kara quest ring
Ring: Badge
Trinket: Darkmoon Card Crusade
Trinket: ZA (or Brewfest)
Weapon: Badge (or Jin'Rokh in ZA)
Libram: Badge
Trueth

Postby uke » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:40 am

Trueth wrote: Weapon: Badge (or Jin'Rokh in ZA)
Libram: Badge

I would add that if the badge axe or ZA sword is unavailable, then an S2 sword/mace is a very viable and easy to get alternative.

For trinkets, I've actually got both a Bloodlust Brooch (haven't been able to get the ZA one) AND the Brewfest version. I have both macro'd to my Crusader Strike button, as one will activate 20 seconds after the other. That's 40 seconds every two minutes of 200 (I think) extra AP.

Add Avenging Wrath to the same macro for even more of a punch. My macro is as follows:

/startattack
/use 13
/use 14
/cast Avenging Wrath
/cast Crusader Strike

Put the macro wherever you'd normally place your Crusader Strike key. Now, you'll start attacking your target, and pop trinkets/wings whenever it's off cooldown as you do your normal routine of mashing CS to smash bad guys.
uke

Postby phaqueue » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:11 pm

what profs do you have?

I know I recently switched to JC for the xpac (go go gems for tanking and DPS) and as a bonus - got to make 2 pretty good trinkets from the SSO rep patterns... they will cost you few epic gems.. but with the plummeting price of epic gems, and the availability through badges - it's really not that big a deal... and the Shadowsong Panther (although it adds a stealth level - boo) has a 320 AP use effect with a 1:30 cooldown... plus a passive 80 AP on it... definitely a great trinket - just a thought
phaqueue

Postby KStructure » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:35 pm

It's my understanding that because of:

1) The JotW change making mana efficiency more difficult

and

2) That judgments can now miss

This puts an increased emphasis on hit rating. If you miss a judgment, your mana suffers. This would affect solo leveling (as the OP referred to) by increasing downtime/drinking.

From my understanding, we can no longer go full throttle with our attack rotation while solo and instead have to wait for some white hits to finish the job to maintain a reasonable mana level.
KStructure

Postby Ghort » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:40 pm

yeah, but we cap at around 90 hit rating if i remember right, and alot of that comes with gear... if not, just throw some hit rating gems in also and your set... but honestly im running at 80ish right now and i dont miss an equal level mob but that stupid 1% of the time thats naturally in there
5/12 ICC 10

Ghort

Postby PsiVen » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:43 pm

When leveling, choose gear that avoids exchanging any other DPS stat for Haste. It's only competitive single-target, and you should rarely be fighting only one enemy at a time.

Don't go for Int, you don't need it and can't really get it. Drinking is hilariously fast for Ret paladins and you'll have enough mana while in combat.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby honorshammer » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:44 pm

Ghort wrote:yeah, but we cap at around 90 hit rating if i remember right, and alot of that comes with gear... if not, just throw some hit rating gems in also and your set... but honestly im running at 80ish right now and i dont miss an equal level mob but that stupid 1% of the time thats naturally in there

90 Hit rating was with the old Precision talent. We need nearly 150 hit rating from gear, which is almost impossible to get without making some sacrifices in AP/CRT/STR.
honorshammer

Postby Ghort » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:46 pm

ah yes, thats what it was.... oh well, i still do stupid dps, and figure it'll last me into some better gear... as for mana, i currently have -0- issues with it and I judge light when soloing
5/12 ICC 10

Ghort

Postby uke » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:49 pm

phaqueue wrote:what profs do you have?

I have maxed Engineering and Enchanting at the moment, neither of which really min/max Ret for me except for goggles.

I'm still very much undecided what I'll do for professions in WotLK. I think it will come down to what the BOP 2handers are for Blacksmithing, and it they're THAT good to drop a maxed crafting profession that has other BOP goodies as well.

Enchanting is an awesome money-maker from just selling DE'd mats, plus I like being able to enchant my own gear without having to find a guildie who has it or spam trade chat for one.

Engineering has pro-goggles in BC (obviously), as well as repair bots, roflcopters, etc. Plus gas cloud farming.

Add in the exp you can have your own deployable AH and mailbox as well, and I'm entirely self-sufficient anywhere I'm at.

One nice thing I've learned about Ret is that is isn't nearly at min-max dependant as any tanking role. Just stack STR, Crit, +hit, maybe some STA, etc and you're set. If you sacrifice a little AP for fireball launchers and rocket boots, then it's all good.

If BG's take bigger precendence for PVP gear (as hinted at lately by GC), then Engineering may be a sweet, sweet talent to keep. It would at least keep me from the soul-sucking grind of BS leveling.
uke

Postby uke » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:52 pm

Honorshammer wrote:
Ghort wrote:yeah, but we cap at around 90 hit rating if i remember right, and alot of that comes with gear... if not, just throw some hit rating gems in also and your set... but honestly im running at 80ish right now and i dont miss an equal level mob but that stupid 1% of the time thats naturally in there

90 Hit rating was with the old Precision talent. We need nearly 150 hit rating from gear, which is almost impossible to get without making some sacrifices in AP/CRT/STR.

Extensive testing by EJ and other theorycrafters have found that Ret has a hidden 3% +hit still built in, as if they still had the Precision talent.

Don't know if it's a bug or intentional, but ret pallys (don't know if other pallys have same thing) seem to still be capped at 95 currently.
uke

Postby Trueth » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:25 pm

uke wrote:Extensive testing by EJ and other theorycrafters have found that Ret has a hidden 3% +hit still built in, as if they still had the Precision talent.

Don't know if it's a bug or intentional, but ret pallys (don't know if other pallys have same thing) seem to still be capped at 95 currently.

REALLY? That is huge! I have been sitting on about 130 hit rating...then again it will still come in useful as the ratios change the closer we get to level 80.

As a side note, this list of ret gear is also totally valuable for a prot build now whenever soloing or dps'ing. The big exception is obviously to use a shield and wicked 1-hander instead of a 2-hander. Heck, we can use +hit and +crit too!
Trueth

Postby halabar » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:33 pm

Trueth wrote:Libram: Badge

The badge libram is supposed to be borked right now for our new talents.

The suggestion on most sites is to get the H BF one until you can get better in wrath.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby halabar » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:35 pm

Trueth wrote:Shoulders: Badge

And the Ragesteel crafted are just about as good as the badge ones. Save badges for something else. There are much better drops in raids than the badge ones...
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

PreviousNext

Return to WotLK