Weapon TPS Q.

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Warcraft » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:08 pm

PsiVen wrote:It is rather unusual to be tanking so many foes that Consecration is the only threat that matters. For example you are still contributing an average of 50% of your HotR damage to each target when you tank 6 mobs at once.

Weapons with tanking stats are never as good at TPS on ANY number of targets as an equal ilvl threat weapon! The Impossible Dream is a good 100 TPS beyond Red Sword of Courage (3800 vs 3700 TPS) single target. The difference from Consecration itself is a mere 41 TPS. So the gap actually shrinks as the number of targets increases, as all of the other abilities besides Consecration begin to diminish in importance.

Of course, relative and total threat will continue to have the same gap per target.

How often you tank an above average number of targets really depends on your play style. I have good gear, good healers and plenty of AE DPS, so I do it often. But it doesn't even have to be that unimaginable a number. It's basically anything more than 4.

In your example, you mentioned 50% of your Hammer of the Righteous going towards 6 targets. But realistically, how well would that work? First of all, it is at least 6 seconds before that threat reaches all the targets. Secondly, would it even reach them all?

Even if the targets are melee, it is hard enough to line them up with WoW's collision-free physics for HotR not to overlap anything. And if any of the targets are ranged, forget it. At this point, you're best to use Consecration.

There is no question that Consecrating with a tanking weapon can still hold 6 targets off the healer, or even off splash DPS. The question is, how well will it hold 6 targets that are being bursted by your AE DPS? The answer is, not as well as a spell power weapon would.
Warcraft

Postby Vanifae » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:56 pm

I still don't think the difference will be so huge that you will suddenly be incapable of holding adequate AE threat.

Edit: You seem to want to use a spell power weapon then go for it, I think either way will be equally successful I suppose.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby majiben » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:38 am

To put into prespective of how small the boost to AOE threat that a spell damage weapon offers consider my character raid buffed in normal gear:

500 spelldamage
1500 AP

total of 2000 consecration scaling

equiping a spell damage weapon will grant around 200 spell damage raising total 2200 consecraton scaling/

That's only a 10% increase the scaling portion of consecrate. If you add in the base damage of consecrate you will see that equiping a spell damage weapon will add only 5-8% more damage to the spell. Basically the window of when you need it to threat off your aoe dps is pretty small and thus not usually needed.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Macha » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:20 am

Warcraft wrote:There is no question that Consecrating with a tanking weapon can still hold 6 targets off the healer, or even off splash DPS. The question is, how well will it hold 6 targets that are being bursted by your AE DPS? The answer is, not as well as a spell power weapon would.

I have tried both kind of weapon in Naxx, and let me tell you:

Not a single AOE dps noticed any difference whatsoever. Weapons do THAT little difference nowadays.
Macha

Postby Sideout » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:58 am

I tanked Mt Hy last Friday nite and I was hold threat with http://www.wowhead.com/?item=30874 with Potency on it.

We were in the Horde Camp area and I was with a guild that was better geared than me , most had T5 / T6 while I was a mix of T4/ Badge / one T5 piece.

I was able to outthreat the warriors easily and hold the mobs on me like normal.

Last nite we did an SSC run and with the above weapon I was 10th on Damage done out of 25 versus usually being down with the warriors.

I have 1032 AP / 543BV / and approx 433 SD in my current gear setup.

Its amazing how much damage and threat we can put out now.
Sideout

Postby Worldie » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:14 am

Macha wrote:
Warcraft wrote:There is no question that Consecrating with a tanking weapon can still hold 6 targets off the healer, or even off splash DPS. The question is, how well will it hold 6 targets that are being bursted by your AE DPS? The answer is, not as well as a spell power weapon would.

I have tried both kind of weapon in Naxx, and let me tell you:

Not a single AOE dps noticed any difference whatsoever. Weapons do THAT little difference nowadays.

Mainly because a difference of 100 TPS when you are generating more than 2k means like, nothing?
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Ragingsoul » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:47 am

Worldie wrote:Mainly because a difference of 100 TPS when you are generating more than 2k means like, nothing?

exaclty. and seeing HoR crit for more than 2500 on 3 mobs is a lot more fun than seeing 8 or 9 more dmg every ticks on mobs for my part.

Remember that you are raid buffed, I usually have more than 23% crit, with 2.2k AP. the dmg you deal with HoR is incredible. even in MH last night, I was using my unbreakable will, and it works really well. I just hit tab, see which one needs more threat, and use HoR on it.
While tanking new content, one rule is important -- it's not about taking less damage; it's about being able to take more.
Ragingsoul, Palatank, Tsunadee, Resto Druid, Bisoul, Mutilate Rogue
Ragingsoul

Previous

Return to WotLK