Remove Advertisements

Frequently *Answered* Questions 3.0.2 & Wrath.

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Andryana » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:23 am

djlar wrote:Re-reading the FAQ and about KINGS, I was in a raid with 4 pallies, including me, I was "pallypowered" for Sanct, I asked for Kings, none of the other 3 had kings ,so I had to king myself but they didn't sanct me, why ret/holy can't spend 1 lousy point on kings? beats me...

Or at least have all the pallies have pallypower installed, I'm not a mindreader LOL.

Because it's 5 points? Who would get kings without getting the improved version?
Andryana

Postby mirkodeluxe » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:41 am

Andryana wrote:
djlar wrote:Re-reading the FAQ and about KINGS, I was in a raid with 4 pallies, including me, I was "pallypowered" for Sanct, I asked for Kings, none of the other 3 had kings ,so I had to king myself but they didn't sanct me, why ret/holy can't spend 1 lousy point on kings? beats me...

Or at least have all the pallies have pallypower installed, I'm not a mindreader LOL.

Because it's 5 points? Who would get kings without getting the improved version?

No one in their right mind would get less than the full 10%, i.e 5/5
mirkodeluxe

Postby mirkodeluxe » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:52 am

Knaugthy wrote:Q: ZOMG! Did I block an elemental?
A: Yes. You can block magical melee damage now.

Aha! Didnt know this, and I thought I knew it all by now :)
mirkodeluxe

Postby kurros » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:02 pm

/offtopic

I hate pallypower.

/raid I'll buff sanctuary, pally2 buff wisdom, pally3 do kings, warrior will Battle shout so don't bitch about might

^ far easier than messing around with a stupid addon that doesn't have a proper /hide option

It's really not rocket science anymore. If you need pallypower to buff, fine use it, but don't complain about me not having it because I can actually remember and buff without a useless addon.
Anyway, lets just agree to disagree. Go away, or I'll just start reporting you to the mods for being a troll. In exchange, I'll stop pointing out your stupid in public.
kurros

Postby Zironic » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:44 pm

kurros wrote:

/offtopic

I hate pallypower.

/raid I'll buff sanctuary, pally2 buff wisdom, pally3 do kings, warrior will Battle shout so don't bitch about might

^ far easier than messing around with a stupid addon that doesn't have a proper /hide option

It's really not rocket science anymore. If you need pallypower to buff, fine use it, but don't complain about me not having it because I can actually remember and buff without a useless addon.

It becomes far more complex when you have less paladins then buffs.

For example you might have a healadin and a protadin. The protadin wants BoS+Kings and the Holydin wants kings+wisdom.

The assignment becomes the protadin casting greater BoS on paladins and then lesser kings on the holydin.

Then you might have an ench shaman and a resto shaman in the same raid, the ench obviously wants kings+might(if you lack a warrior) while the resto wants wisdom+kings so you have to cast a lesser blessing on one of them.

But sure, if you want to keep track of that kind of assignments in your head that's fine. But if you do that in my raid and fail, then you won't get a raid spot next time.
Zironic

Postby Andryana » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:05 pm

It was a lot worse with Light and Salvation, now it's quite more simple.
Andryana

Postby knaughty » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:35 pm

It's also worth noting that PallyPower tracks it falling off people.

RandomDPS dies, runs back, gets ressed, etc. I have my "," (comma) key set to "cast the correct 10-min buff". As I'm setting up for each pull, I just tap the key a couple of times and the ressed people get buffed without me have to find them in my raid frames.

It's another one of those things were actual raiding is different to theory. In a real raid, you don't cast GreaterBlessing 9 (10) times, then ignore it for 30 mins.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby majiben » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:38 pm

You can also adjust the size of PP's display so that it's far less space consuming.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby mirkodeluxe » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:42 pm

Zironic wrote:-snip-
But sure, if you want to keep track of that kind of assignments in your head that's fine. But if you do that in my raid and fail, then you won't get a raid spot next time.

Sounds a bit harsh though, doesnt it? I mean you have to fail on an epic scale to not be invited to raids because of buffs.
mirkodeluxe

Postby majiben » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:47 pm

mirkodeluxe wrote:

Sounds a bit harsh though, doesnt it? I mean you have to fail on an epic scale to not be invited to raids because of buffs.
I have come close to having shammans kicked from raid groups because either they simply didn't drop totems or they continued to use healing stream and stoneskin despite being told to switch.

The paladin is likely geting their spot due to their blessings (so much for not taking people based on class) and failing to put them up on rezzed people is a unacceptable failure.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby kurros » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:48 pm

Knaughty wrote:It's also worth noting that PallyPower tracks it falling off people.

RandomDPS dies, runs back, gets ressed, etc. I have my "," (comma) key set to "cast the correct 10-min buff". As I'm setting up for each pull, I just tap the key a couple of times and the ressed people get buffed without me have to find them in my raid frames.

It's another one of those things were actual raiding is different to theory. In a real raid, you don't cast GreaterBlessing 9 (10) times, then ignore it for 30 mins.

My feeling is that you shouldn't need blessings for trash, and DPS that dies for stupid reasons *should* get punished by doing trash without buffs. I can't think of any trash where more than 1-2 people would die per pull in a way that couldn't be prevented if they played better.

In practice, I found pallypower to be a steaming pile of crap, for example if 1 player was out of range, I wouldn't be able to buff anyone because it would get hung up on trying to buff him/her, or if you clicked too fast before global cooldown was done it would think that a player got buffed when he didn't and you would go through the whole cycle again. A tank would click of salvation and pally power would rebuff it- didn't happen to me, but I've seen other paladins rebuff the tanks with salvation over and over and blame the addon. And if we had a couple people sitting outside of the raid instance, on wait list or something, but in raid, forget it. Maybe a newer version fixed these issues, it was about a year ago when I used it last, but buffing is so easy now I don't really want to spend time giving it a second chance.

But yeah, I pretty much do cast greater blessings and then ignore blessings for 30 minutes. If a player dies I can manually rebuff, if we wipe I'm going to rebuffing the raid. More blessings needed than paladins in raid is virtually impossible, the only blessings needed are kings and wisdom for the most part, very few raids are so lacking on warriors that might is needed and I can easily single buff myself with sanctuary if we don't have a 3rd paladin.
Anyway, lets just agree to disagree. Go away, or I'll just start reporting you to the mods for being a troll. In exchange, I'll stop pointing out your stupid in public.
kurros

Postby kurros » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:54 pm

Zironic wrote:It becomes far more complex when you have less paladins then buffs.

For example you might have a healadin and a protadin. The protadin wants BoS+Kings and the Holydin wants kings+wisdom.

The assignment becomes the protadin casting greater BoS on paladins and then lesser kings on the holydin.

Then you might have an ench shaman and a resto shaman in the same raid, the ench obviously wants kings+might(if you lack a warrior) while the resto wants wisdom+kings so you have to cast a lesser blessing on one of them.

Why do you make it so hard?

Holy paladin: kings on everyone
Prot paladin: wisdom on all casters, lesser sanctuary on self, sanctuary on non-casters

And then you make the dps warrior do battle shout.
kurros

Postby knaughty » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:55 pm

mirkodeluxe wrote:

Not really.

As a raid leader, I have a tiny list of "semi-mandatory" mods:
• Threat meter
• Boss Mod
• PallyPower for pallies
• incoming heal sync for healers
• Basic raid comms mod - much less required since so much has migrated to the base UI.

If (for example) DPS chooses NOT to use a threat meter, that's fine, so long as:
• They don't do crap DPS because they're over-cautious.
• They don't peel (and die, and maybe kill other people).

At that point, you've ignored my instruction, and slowed us down because of it. Raid-kick incoming.

Pally-power is the same. If you're not running it, I have to do more work to setup the buffs. I have to ask you what blessings you can do rather than just looking at the list. Then I either have to give the "no PP" pally a simple job (Kings the raid) or tell him some complicated list of buffs to do. Then he probably fucks up refreshing them.

Someone else has a signature line I really like:

It's your $14.95 a month, play how you like. But if you're stuffing up our raid, it our $358.80 you're wasting".
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Postby mirkodeluxe » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:09 pm

Yes.
I do understand the ramifications of screwing up buffs.
But I was rather objecting to the sweeping statement that if you dont buff flawlessly, or close to it, you dont get invited to raids.
But we go about raiding in a more casual way, so theres not that much Min/maxing and raidkicking.
mirkodeluxe

Postby knaughty » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:11 pm

kurros wrote:Why do you make it so hard?

Holy paladin: kings on everyone
Prot paladin: wisdom on all casters, lesser sanctuary on self, sanctuary on non-casters

And then you make the dps warrior do battle shout.

Because the Holy Paladin doesn't have Kings at 80, and does have Imp Wisdom, and the prot pally doesn't.

And because Might > Shout.
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to WotLK